Choose style:

Author Topic: What are issues using Openbox with P5  (Read 2622 times)

Offline ronriche

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4 and 5
What are issues using Openbox with P5
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:46 am »
How much of the configuration system of P5 would be broken by using Openbox as the WM?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: What are issues using Openbox with P5
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:10:44 am »
Hi,

Openbox presents NO problems -- I have used it for over ten years and find it to be absolutely terrific!! In fact, I have more problems with the standard LXDE / Xfwm4 setup that Peppermint has been using since version 4  :( .

Just install the openbox package. You might also wish to install obconf, openbox-menu and obmenu. I like to set up my own menu by editing my menu.xml file in the gedit or medit text editor to make it look just the way I like it to look. It's really quite easy.

A nice informational resource can be found at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox (although a few things mentioned there might be Arch-specific).

So just DO IT !!  8)

If you have any questions, come back and ask them as I check the forums regularly, as do many others with much more knowledge and experience than I have.

Have fun,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline ronriche

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4 and 5
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »
Thanks Slim...

Openbox is very standards compliant and my fav WM but  I always look out for "anomalies" when changing over this early in a release process.  I'll just install OB and OBconf and see how it acts with the new configuration options in P5.  There are some quirks out there already (Directory Menu, Desktop Pager, Flash in Chromium etc.) but these are LXDE and Chromium related.  If I notice any quirks when I install and run it I'll get back to you.  I doubt it but who knows.

ps: It's nice to have a system with simple and interchangeable stand alone components. Sometimes it's good to get away from Windows or ersatz windows. I hope P5 remains as flexible as possible.

Offline sandstormzach

• nOOb
  • Linux Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:45 pm »
Be sure to keep us posted, I'm personally a fan of openbox and I'd like to hear how well it works with Peppermint.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:22 am »
Hi, sandstormzach!

I've been using Openbox with Peppermint-5 without any problems. If I notice anything strange I will post it on the forum.

Regards,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:09:37 pm »
If you want to use Openbox as the default window manager for LXDE, then you can open "Default Applications for LXSession" in the "Preferences" menu, click on the "Core Applications" tab on the left and change the window manager line from "xfwm4" to "openbox". Then log out and log in.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.