Choose style:

Author Topic: Anyone Running Emby Media Server On Peppermint ?  (Read 786 times)

Offline exclamation1990

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Anyone Running Emby Media Server On Peppermint ?
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:37 am »
I want to stay away from Kodi and looking at either Emby or Plex as a Media Server thoughts ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Anyone Running Emby Media Server On Peppermint ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:01:11 pm »
Plex should work, I can't answer for Emby though because I'd not even heard of it until now ???

Can I ask (just out of interest), why you want to steer clear of KODI ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:02:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline exclamation1990

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:03:11 pm »
The reason I want to stay away from Kodi.
Legality issues in some countries they are now prosecuting Kodi users and I can see it happening here in the U.S.
in the not to far future. I don't want to have my ISP checking me out anymore than they already do. I don't think
the cable and satellite companies are going to sit idle for illegal streaming.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »
I'd be VERY interested to see how anyone can get prosecuted for using KODI .. it's just a media player.

It's not even the plugins that are illegal .. it's your using them.

So it doesn't really matter which player you use to get the illegal content .. nor would your ISP be able to tell which player you're using .. just that you're streaming illegal content.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline exclamation1990

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:33:41 am »
Is it not possible to query a system to find out which OS or application and version remotely ?
ISP's and other agencies in the world of terrorism have become highly monitored.
Anyway Kodi is highly used to stream illegal content and that is not my intent I just wish to
serve up my own media files with no affiliation with illegal practices.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:09 am »
As PCNetSpec says, the point is not which player you're using, it's what you do with it. There are many solutions for serving media, just pick the one you find easiest to use and don't worry unnecessarily :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:17 am »
There is NOTHING illegal about KODI and nobody is saying there is or going after it

Only if  you use some of the available third party plugins to stream copyrighted material without paying.

KODI itself is just a perfectly legitimate and legal media player.

ISP's and government authorities are NOT interested in looking for KODI (even if they could it would be pointless as it's not illegal and would just introduce grey noise into their tracking attempts), they're ONLY attempting to track illegal content streams (irrespective of the player).

And in answer to your question...

Is it not possible to query a system to find out which OS or application and version remotely ?

Well that's a tough one, they'd say no, but sure someone like the NSA probably have tools that would allow them to hack into your system.

But the truth of the matter is even if they can they wouldn't .. because that would mean them admitting they regularly hack into peoples systems.

The short answer is .. when you request a stream from somewhere online, as far as I know that's all that happens, the software used to make that request isn't queried as it's irrelevant.

The even shorter answer is .. KODI IS A 100% LEGAL AND LEGITIMATE MEDIA PLAYER (that is not supplied with any illegal plugins), so it's irrelevant whether they can track it.

Google "is kodi illegal" ;)

You're effectively jumping to the conclusion that a stick is illegal because it's possible to add a knife to the end of it and use it for a nefarious purpose .. it's not illegal until you do just that, and even then it's not the stick that is illegal, it's the nefarious act.

The authorities have no interest in, and would be wasting their time tracking sticks .. but they may track knives ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:19:35 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline exclamation1990

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:23:41 pm by exclamation1990 »