Choose style:

Author Topic: Dell Now Sells 7 Ubuntu-Powered Laptops (15-June-2017)  (Read 3266 times)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Dell Now Sells 7 Ubuntu-Powered Laptops (15-June-2017)
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:44 pm »
The guy in the shop did tell me that the waranty would no longer be valid if I removed the OS and installed a linux distro.

I just bet that's not legal either. At the very least it could do with a challenge.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »
Yep, I'd also think that wouldn't stand up in court .. these are not "devices", it's .perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to install whatever software you like on a PC, they're designed and marketed with this in mind.

If they try to argue that Linux could somehow harm the hardware, then they're admitting a hardware fault, and having knowingly sold you something faulty.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:39:21 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:49 pm »
Maybe the guy in the shop thinks you have to open up the case and physically INSTALL Linux. Like how the internet is a little box that sits on a filing cabinet  :D

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
Check out the cost. I don't know about any of you but I sure do't find any of these within my budget nor would I put out this kind of money.  ::)
i spent way than all of those on my rebuild... and If I'd seen those then, I might have opted for one... We're retired and out of the usual spending pool on everything else... but we still like our tech.  8)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 06:05:45 pm »
I've never seen a PC warranty where changing the OS voids your warranty.  Most OEMs even include drivers on their website specifically for changing your installed version of Windows, with no warranty warnings.  Besides, putting such a stipulation would prevent people from upgrading to the next version of Windows under warranty.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »
Short answer .. the guy in the shop is a tit.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:23 pm »
I can go along with that.

Probably, if you had a hardware issue, the company would repair it under warranty and wipe your Linux install for a fresh version of Windows for "diagnostic" purposes.  ::)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 03:55:37 am »
@PCNetSpec
“Don't you think the shop would be legally obliged to accept it as return?”

Actually I do, but right now I just have to accept I was “dumb” and accepted EULA straight away   :-[… I knew I was going to remove windows and install Peppermint upfront, so I wasn’t paying attention to any legal issues. I do agree that shops should be better in informing about this, but as usual it is the consumer that has to do the reading… again I was “dumb”, or maybe just naïve… :(

@murraymint and PCNetSpec
“I just bet that's not legal either. At the very least it could do with a challenge.”

Probably not, and the shop was most likely just covering their asses and trying to avoid any issues with either the manufacture or microsoft… he did recommend keeping the windows installer in order to recover the OS in case I had to report any issues with the hardware, but I didn’t want to keep that... So, I accepted the EULA, tested that all the drivers and ports were working and wiped it clean.

With all this said, I have to agree that I wasn’t paying enough attention to all the legal details and that was my own fault. Though, I have learned something… next time, I’ll not be paying for windows and accepting EULA.
The important thing it's to learn from earlier mistakes,... even though I feel somewhat ripped off at the moment.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:59:26 am by pin »