Choose style:

Author Topic: Dell Now Sells 7 Ubuntu-Powered Laptops (15-June-2017)  (Read 2932 times)

The PoorGuy

Re: Dell Now Sells 7 Ubuntu-Powered Laptops (15-June-2017)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 08:12:47 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:16:34 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 11:03:39 pm »
People love their Windows and most will never change however will always complain when it isn't working 100%.

Heh !  Yeah, they put up with it until they don't, then buy a Mac and gloat.   ;D

The PoorGuy

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 01:39:07 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:16:54 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 09:23:54 am »
This again.  As PCNetSpec said, it's never offered on the Home laptops, even though it would perform better on those than Windows.  The least expensive one is the XPS 13 Developer Edition, which is $850.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:35:29 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 08:17:55 pm »
I have nothing against Windows and believe that people should use what they are most comfortable with.

I can agree only with the second half of that statement :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:34 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:17:16 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »
I don't "despise" it, and you're right people should use it if that's what they're most comfortable with and are not looking to change. Ramming Linux down a happy Windows users throat is nearly always counter-productive.

But saying "I don't despise it", or that people should stick with it unless they WANT to change is not the same as saying "I have nothing against it" .. I have plenty "against it" .. in the same way as the damn OS seems to have something against me, so it's only fair :))
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:00:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 11:57:09 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:17:36 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 10:12:53 am »
It was always available to me for personal use for my own computers from where I use to work as we had corporate copies of all Windows OS.

Your instance is different, but most people who buy computers in retail stores also think that, quite incorrectly.  They've paid for Windows, it's just included in the price of the computer.  Don't believe me?  Just go to any OEM and ask them what they'll charge for any computer without windows (any one that normally comes with it, that is.)  They're usually $90 to $100 cheaper.  Also, look at the $1049.99 configurations on this computer:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop?3x_nav=OS_BRAND%3DUBUNT&3x_page=1&filterCollapsed=true

For that price, you can get one with Windows 10 and a 128GB SSD, or you can get one with Ubuntu 16.04 and a 256GB SSD.  Same price, twice the hard drive capacity when you **don't** pay for that Windows license.  So, yes those people have indeed paid for Windows, it just wasn't itemized when they purchased computers with it preinstalled.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:17:55 am by scifidude79 »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:29 am »
I'm 100% with you. That’s the problem, here in Sweden you can't get a machine without an OS installed. Yes, I have paid for window$ just to remove it as soon as I came home. Peppermint 7 on it! I have donate to Peppermint, of course!
I think consumer rights organisations world wide should be doing more for all of us.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 11:33:04 am »
They're not so easy to get in the US either, trust me.  It usually involves going to the website of a computer company and live chatting with a sales associate who doesn't really know what they're talking about.  You tell them that you want to buy X computer without an OS and they balk at you.  They say that computer isn't available without an OS, which shouldn't be true.  You go round and round and, if you're lucky, you get what you want.  From what I understand, it doesn't always happen.  It usually depends on who you're dealing with.

Truth be told, if a computer company wants a sale that badly, they'll do it.  It shouldn't realistically matter to them, they don't make any money on the Windows license anyway, it's included at cost.  All they're making money on is the hardware anyway.  Some will even insist on selling you the OS anyway, and you have to talk them into just including it on discs in the box.  It's a huge pill.  ::)

With desktops, you're better off either building one or getting someone you know to do it for you if you can't do it yourself.  The problem is laptops.  Nobody sells DIY laptop kits anymore, or at least not the big component stores.  So, you're pretty much stuck with either a few companies that actually make Linux computers, or you have to try the above method for getting one without an OS, or just wipe the Windows OS and replace it with Linux.  It's not an easy process, no matter what you choose.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 03:37:23 pm »
I think consumer rights organisations world wide should be doing more for all of us.

Here ya go, have some karma for that :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:38 pm »
Can you still get the money back off Microsoft if you refuse to agree to the EULA on first boot .. like you used to be able to do ?

Theoretically they could tell you to take the PC back, but the shop would then have to sell it as used or refurbed.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 04:39:03 pm »
Humm!
Don't remember the exact words from the first boot... there was something about giving them the right to collect information... but don't remember the rest 😥!

It would be nice to claim the money back, even if just to make a statement... but that's no longer an option...

I did start windows, since I had to check that all ports and drivers were functional... The guy in the shop did tell me that the waranty would no longer be valid if I removed the OS and installed a linux distro.
I'll try to remember that in the future.

Right now I'm very happy to be with Peppermint, just wish I had done it earlier 😆!

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:41:53 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
Okay so answer me this question...

You walk into a PC shop and buy a boxed PC .. you get home and turn it on for the first time asking you to agree to an end user liceense agreement that you disagree with, so you click "No I Don't Accept" so the OS refuses to boot.

You were sold a PC with thr reasonable expectation that it would boot .. at no point (until you got it home) pre-sale were you told you were going to have to accept an EULA and given the opportunity to read it.

Under EU law you were sold something that was being misrepresented and is now unfit for purpose unless you agree to a contract that wasn't brought to your attention pre-sale.

Don't you think the shop would be legally obliged to accept it as return ?

One they can now not sell as "new" (box opened)

A few years ago you could claim the price of Windows back from Microsoft .. it was their way of protecting OEM's from having to bear the cost of returns in these circumstances .. Unless Microsoft can now somehow say the OS didn't add to the cost of the PC then your refusal to accept the EULA legally only leaves them 2 options

a) drop the EULA contract, and make the OS work anyway (they'd never do this as it sets a precedent)

b) return the money either for the thing they attempted to license to you, or the entire PC
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:26:59 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec