Choose style:

Author Topic: FIT FOR PURPOSE  (Read 6113 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: FIT FOR PURPOSE
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 10:16:50 pm »
BATTERY UPDATE   ;D

Finally got the new 9-cell battery.  The buying experience was a total cluster %@#!  Started with PayPal declining the purchase (probably due to the VPN) and ended up with the seller miscalculating the shipping weight at 8 ounces, requiring $9.98 in postage due.

Anyway, I lugged my lappy around town with me all day -- and simulated usage on a typical business day.

I was lucky if I got 3-4 hours out of the original 6-cell battery, on my Vegas trip.  By lunch, it had checked out.

This 9-cell battery has been going for 12 hours, as I type, and it's still showing 30% runtime remaining.  YaY !

That'll do pig ... 

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:56 pm »
Started with PayPal declining the purchase (probably due to the VPN)

I ran into that a short while back.  Every time I made an eBay purchase I had to reset my password for both eBay and PayPal.  It finally dawned on me that it was VPN related.  The only way to avoid that is to disable VPN to make the purchase which, of course, renders the privacy & protection of a VPN useless when you need it most.  Go figure...
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 12:32:52 am »
Yeah, Mac, I can't really complain.  It's my own doing.  Oh, what a tangled web we weave ...

Actually, I'm glad PayPal is blocking purchases from someone in Singapore [apparently] and buying online electronics on my account.   ;)

BTW, 14 hours, and the battery is down to 26%.  I think I have my lappy set to power down at 20%, so I think I'll turn it off and charge it up.  Not bad for a mobile i7.

It's proven itself worthy, today !

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2017, 12:38:51 am »
14 hours, is that with Windlediedows or Linux ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2017, 01:24:32 am »
14 hours, is that with Windlediedows or Linux ?

Combined.

I have my power settings setup the same -- and the theme'ing (ahem) - so it isn't a stark difference.  Sometimes, I forget which one I'm using.   8)

I switch back and forth, depending on what I'm doing.  I'm using the Opera on both OSs, setup identically.

I don't trust '10' for anything sensitive, like email, IM, Skype, et cetera.  I do those things in Peppermint only.

Whichever one I'm using, I tend to use it for 1-2 hours, then close the lid and let it suspend for awhile.  Only time I shut it down is when I'm asleep.

That's the way I use it on the road - probably a 60/40 duty cycle, 12-14 hours a day.

I'll use the 6-cell battery at work, and for a backup -- and save the 9-cell for meetings, traveling, and so forth, where I don't have access to a desktop machine.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:47 am »
The reason I asked is, you hear a lot that Windows and OS X have better power management than Linux .. I just wondered how true that is.

You can expect OS X to be better as they can fine tune the hardware and software together, but it would be nice if Windows doesn't have the lead some suggest.

I can tell you on this HP Windows (10) is WORSE than Linux, and the fan is continually working to keep the thing cool .. oddly a problem I used to associate with Linux.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
Well, you get a *feeling* for these things.  It isn't scientific.  And, I haven't done an exhaustive study, but ...

I don't see an ounce of difference between power management and battery longevity, between Peppermint and '10'.

And, believe me, when I'm on the road, battery time is mission-critical, so I watch the power meter like my life depends on it.

It's a fine balance between longevity (battery runtime) and convenience (quick unsuspend/refresh).

Here are the optimal power settings, for me, based on field experience ...

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
BTW, the display 'Brightness reduction' in '10' is handled in another window (not shown).  I set those the same, also. 

Screen brightness makes a big difference on battery time.  I turn the brightness down considerably, when I'm running on battery power.

I do this for a couple of reasons:
  • Longer battery life, between charges
  • I don't like the ppl sitting behind me [or CCTV] watching what I'm doing
When I'm running on wall power, it's a totally different situation, you know ?  Basically, it becomes my mobile desktop machine, for want of a different description.   ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »
You can expect OS X to be better as they can fine tune the hardware and software together, but it would be nice if Windows doesn't have the lead some suggest.

Another thing, and I'll stop.   :)

I'm a Nouveau fanboi.  I've run it through thick n' thin -- bad times n' good.

That said, I would NEVER run Nouveau drivers on a mobile device !

The downside to Nouveau is, it eats a lot of power, and heats up the GPU -- both are no-no's on mobile devices.

Nouveau is getting better, but it's not there yet.  I'm actually running a GPU cooler on my ancient iron, to keep the video card from frying.

I judge, if one is running Nouveau on a Linux portable, then yes ...  it's going to use a lot more power than winders !

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2017, 03:15:11 pm »
Well I'm running the open source radeon in Peppermint and the proprietary AMD drivers in Win10 .. and as I said it's Windleydows that seems to be running hot not Linux, which based on history surprised me somewhat ???

Can't remember if Windleydows is using Catalyst or the other one (Crimson ?), and I REALLY don't wanna reboot to find out or I'll be locked outa my PC for an hour.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:19:35 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2017, 05:28:02 pm »
Reportedly, the haxors have been hacked.  Found this on another site:

Code: [Select]
WannaCry ransomware password is WNcry@2ol7

Hey, let's hear it for Munich's Greens! :)

Swapping Linux for Windows in Munich too risky after WannaCry attacks, warn Greens

By Nick Heath for TechRepubic

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/swapping-linux-for-windows-in-munich-too-risky-after-wannacry-attacks-warn-greens/
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »
I'm willing to bet "security" has far less to do with this than "money"...

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2017, 08:00:54 pm »
From what I remember the whole issue about swapping back to Winblows, is very petty.  Munich's deputy mayor is moaning he can't use M$ Outlook on the Linux system.  He'd been kicking up a fuss about it like a spoilt brat.  The vast majority of the staff are very happy with Linux.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2017, 08:02:47 pm »
Somebody should tell him Outlook has had a website for probably 20 years, even though it's a bit crap.