Choose style:

Author Topic: I've taken the plunge....  (Read 1082 times)

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I've taken the plunge....
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
Having treated myself to an old dell latitude with new SSD, I've wiped windows.  My machine is now 100% Peppermint.  Main reason is the SSD is smaller than I've been used to.   

I can always reinstall W7 later if I miss things.

In recent times, I've used Windows for games and linux for everything else.  Steam is getting better.   Off the top of my head, it's only "Age of Empires II HD" I'm going to miss!  For that, I'll try Play On Linux and see how I get on.

Btw, Peppermint boots so fast I can't actually see anything until the signing in page!

I'm trying to keep things low on eye candy to keep things fast.  Just using brightside with plank - does the job....

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: I've taken the plunge....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:47:05 pm »
Good for you!  You'll probably find soon that you don't miss Windows.  I certainly don't.  Sure, I miss a few games, but there are plenty that are Linux compatible.

The regular AOEII runs beautifully on POL, I don't know about the HD version, unfortunately.  But, you can always try it and see. 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:52:48 pm »
I agree, I don't miss it at all any more .. it took a short while to find ways of achieving some things in Linux. But now if Linux doesn't do it,  neither do I.
(which is exactly what I was doing with Windows previously)

You only miss Windows whilst you look at computing through Microsoft aligned glasses .. you didn't miss Mac only software in Windows, it just never crossed your field of vision

But then I wasn't a gamer...

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with dualbooting if it suits YOU.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:10:57 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »
Just installed Civilization 4 via play on linux and it's flawless, and also ordered a 2nd hand age of empires 2 from ebay

Not sure I'm a "gamer" as I only like retro arcade and strategy games.  With linux, I'm well catered for.  Most windows laptops don't run the latest next gen games well anyway.....

For me the web has made this so much easier. One note, google drive, etc etc all there via your browser.  Even got 80gb music on googlemusic !

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »
Just installed Civilization 4 via play on linux and it's flawless, and also ordered a 2nd hand age of empires 2 from ebay

Not sure I'm a "gamer" as I only like retro arcade and strategy games.  With linux, I'm well catered for.  Most windows laptops don't run the latest next gen games well anyway.....

For me the web has made this so much easier. One note, google drive, etc etc all there via your browser.  Even got 80gb music on googlemusic !

Linux has become so good, you really don't need to use Windows; except for some specialty programs.  Once the penny drops, it's an epiphany  :o.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »

Yep the push to the cloud is making a lot of stuff OS agnostic anyway.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 07:18:11 am »
You're going to love using GNU/Linux on Dell hardware. It's VERY well supported. Anytime you miss Windows or need to get something done shoot a vet like PCNetSpec a question or if he's not available hit me up and I'll do my best aswell. Remember, the longer someone has used GNU/Linux the easier it will be for them to explain it.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
You're going to love using GNU/Linux on Dell hardware.

Hear, hear !   :)

The PoorGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:44:41 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:24:09 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:34:33 am »
You only miss (or rue/hate) Windows if you constantly measure your computing experience against that you had whilst using it.

Now my computing experience is measured against Linux, I cannot "miss" something I no longer consider.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 11:36:16 am »
Linux The Smart Choice For Smart People. Windows For Everyone Else.  :P

I like that one, I gave you a karma point for it.  :)

Really, unless you need a Windows OS for some kind of productivity software that's not available for Linux and won't work in WINE, and it's vital to your work, then you don't need Windows at all.  Most people don't realize that Linux can do nearly everything Windows can.  Even gamers are running out of excuses, though many still spout off the old lie that there are no games in Linux.  There are plenty, and more are added all the time.  Plus, WINE and PlayOnLinux makes it possible to run many Windows games on Linux.  So, people are either running Windows because of lies, or the more likely reason is that most people run it because it came with their computers.  They can't be bothered to switch to anything else.

One thing I haven't missed in Linux is BSODs.  I used to have those regularly in Windows 7.  ::)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
You only miss (or rue/hate) Windows if you constantly measure your computing experience against that you had whilst using it.

Their preview edition [fast] is kind of entertaining, if you enjoy dark humor.

Must have tried to upgrade the '10' preview to the Creators Fall Edition 10 times during the past 2 days.  It refuses to run on my Dell E6430.

And, I'm not the only one having probs:  https://goo.gl/TCXjuR  (one example of many)

I finally gave up and changed to Preview [slow].  I'll wait out the storm in a safe harbor.

Anyway, it's fun to play with, but I wouldn't depend on winders for anything except a good laugh ...  :D