Choose style:

Author Topic: UEFI Bootloader failure: Peppermint on LAPTOP ACER ASPIRE ES1-533  (Read 1263 times)

Offline hellinux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I am new here and has never tried installing a Peppermint system  up to the point I bought the Acer Laptop in question for my wife hoping she could get started with such a promising (especially for newbies) Linux distribution.

Since I didn't find anything related to that Acer's bootloader issues here I went through the following instructions

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

... first trying to reinstall the bootloader for Peppermint 7 and for last few days Peppermint 8  but with no success either.

The main observations in both cases were that the sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64 returned the error below

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `aufs'

and the grubx64.efi was only under /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu (not under /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT), as well as the grubx64.efi & bootx64.efi could only be found in upper case (/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI &/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/ubuntu/GRUBX64.EFI)

Is out there anybody else who tried the aforementioned workarounds, or something similar, and worked? Is there a Peppermint specific try that I have been missing somehow?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:36:54 pm by hellinux »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: UEFI Bootloader failure: Peppermint on LAPTOP ACER ASPIRE ES1-533
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:06 pm »
Looks like you're attempting to reinstall the bootloader onto the LiveUSB/LiveCD.

Can you boot to the LiveUSB/LiveCD, open a terminal and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline hellinux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: UEFI Bootloader failure: Peppermint on LAPTOP ACER ASPIRE ES1-533
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:14:31 am »
Perhaps it is so. After all, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 (my wife didn't want to wait for any longer  >:() but, since I have left an unused partition on the system, I am curious to look into the following two cases.

• Take advantage of the bootloader as it is currently installed via Ubuntu process that I executed last night and try to install Peppermint 8 in the unused partition
  • Start it all over again and, when going through the workaround, detect the diffs between Ubuntu and Peppermint

The latter will drive my wife crazy, but anyway..  ::)