Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5 Does Not Detect Windows 7  (Read 13588 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Re: Peppermint 5 Does Not Detect Windows 7
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 08:24:14 pm »
schmitz61984

The partitions I have are what was automatically set up by windows 7 pro.  I used the windows 7 setup disk and deleted the existing linux partitions.  Windows proceeded to do the rest automatically.   I then spent a great deal of time reloading everything from backups.  Incidently, the previous disk info you found was before I reloaded windows from scratch.  The last info is what i have now.  Thanks.

AndyInMokum

Thanks for your suggestion.  Can you give me more detail on how to create the partitions you are suggesting?  Should I use windows for that or gparted?  In either case you describe it in detail?  I'm not very adept at working with partitions so I'm a little nervous about it.  After creating the partitions will Peppermint then automatically recognize windows7 and install to the new partitions along side or do I have to that manually?  Thanks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 04:08:35 am »
schmitz61984

The partitions I have are what was automatically set up by windows 7 pro.  I used the windows 7 setup disk and deleted the existing linux partitions.  Windows proceeded to do the rest automatically.   I then spent a great deal of time reloading everything from backups.  Incidently, the previous disk info you found was before I reloaded windows from scratch.  The last info is what i have now.  Thanks.

AndyInMokum

Thanks for your suggestion.  Can you give me more detail on how to create the partitions you are suggesting?  Should I use windows for that or gparted?  In either case you describe it in detail?  I'm not very adept at working with partitions so I'm a little nervous about it.  After creating the partitions will Peppermint then automatically recognize windows7 and install to the new partitions along side or do I have to that manually?  Thanks.

Sorry, I've just seen your reply.  Sure, I'll put something together for you  ;).  While you are waiting; do a BACKUP.  All that nervousness you're experiencing will disappear. I've a few things to do first and then I'll get to it  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 08:59:26 am »
Hi how’s it going?  This explanation is going to use GParted to shrink an existing Windows partition and install Peppermint Five.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
First thing to do is make a BACKUP of all critical data.  I know I keep on about it but if on the really rare occasion things do go wrong.  It stops all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth or even worse - having to explain to your significant other how all the wedding and honeymoon pictures and all the really special ones of the kids growing up are gone for ever  :'(!! You get the picture! 

I am assuming that you are either using GParted from the LiveDVD/USB or an independent GParted installation.  Open GParted by selecting Menu>System Tools>GParted.  When GParted has opened you will see a visual representation of your HDD/SSD.  In your case there will be one partition occupying the whole of HDD/SSD.  You are now going to queue the actions you want GParted to perform.  NOTHING becomes permanent until you select, “Apply All Operations”.

Right click the Windows partition and select "unmount" if the partition is mounted.  Next, select "Resize/Move".  A new window will open up.  Hover the cursor over the right end of the block until you see a double ended arrow.   You will now be able to drag the bar to the left.  This leaves an empty space behind.  This is the space you are going to use for Peppermint.  Alternatively, you could manually input the size you want in the box labeled, “Free space following (MiB):”.  A good universal converter is WolframAlfa: http://www.wolframalpha.com/ .

Once you've decided on the size you want, select, "Resize/Move".  You will now see that the Windows partition has shrunk leaving an unallocated space behind, (remember, this isn't permanent, you haven’t selected “Apply All Operations”).

To format the unallocated space:

Right click on the grey unallocated space and select, “new”.  A new window will open.  Select “Primary Partition” and format the filesystem to" ext4".  Label it /.  The forward slash represents “root”.  Again drag the right end of the block so that the new size is ideally around 15 - 20GB, (15,360MiB - 20,480MiB).   Click Add.  You will see your new edit as a new partition with a blue border.

Right click on the grey unallocated space and select new.  A new window will open.  Select “Primary Partition” and format the filesystem to ext4.  Label it /home.  Fill in the box labeled: “Free space following (MiB):”  with twice the value of your RAM in MIBs. Click Add.  You will again see your new edit as a new partition with a blue border.

Right click on the remaining grey unallocated space and select new.  A new window will open.  Select “Primary Partition” and format the filesystem to linux-swap  Label it swap and click Add.  You will again see your new edit as a new partition with a brown border.  Easy eh   ;D!

We are at crunch time.  Lets review.  There is the Windows partition, Then three partitions to be used by Peppermint.  /, /home and swap.  I’ll ask one more time.  Have you BACKED UP?

Hover your cursor over the return symbol near Help in the task bar.  Click on this.  You will have a finally warning about the risks of this operation.  We can ignore this because you have made a BACKUP.  Click Apply.  Now make a cup of coffee and wait as it can take some time.

Once that has completed you will see your new representation of your partition table.  Exit GParted and Peppermint Five.  Boot into Windows to check functionality. 

To Install Peppermint Five Beside Windows.

Shutdown Windows and boot into Peppermint Five Live.  Double click on the, “Install Peppermint 5”.  Select your language and click “Continue”. 

Check the, “Download updates while installing” and “Install this third-party software” or you can download these later.  It depends on your internet connection and your computer's speed.  Click Continue.

A new screen will appear titled, "Installation type”.  Select, “Something else”.

A new screen will appear titled, “Installation type”.  This is very important you get right.  In the window you will see your partitions.  One will be for Window.  Double click on this partition.

A new small window will open.  Select,”do not use this partition” and make sure the, “Format the partition” box is greyed out and unchecked.  If for any reason it isn’t like this. DO NOT PROCEED.  Now double check everything.  If it is okay, click OK.

Double click on the ext4 partition used for root. (hint: it will be the smaller of the two ext4 partitions).   Select in, “Use as:”  “Ext4 journaling file system”.  Leave the, “Format the partition” unchecked.  Select in, “Mount point” /.  Click Apply.  You will receive a warning about formating the partition.  This can be ignored because this has been done in GParted.  Move on to the next ext4 partition and repeat the process.  Only this time select in, “Mount point” /home.  Click apply.

The next partition is, swap and you need not do anything to this. 

Where to install the boot loader?   Under the, “Device for boot loader installation:”  you will see something like, “/dev/sdc ATA WDC WD7500BPVX-2 (750.GB)”.  Important.  If your / partition looks like, “/dev/sda1". The boot loader must be installed to, MBR “/dev/sda”.  If it is, “/dev/sdb1”. The boot loader must be installed to , MBR“/dev/sdb" etc.  Once you’ve done that, hit install and go and make another cup of coffee.  After the installation has finished, Reboot, change your BIOS boot order back to your HDD/SSD to the top.  You see the boot loader screen where you can select Peppermint Five or Windows 7.  I hope this helps - have fun  ;)!
[close]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:11:04 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 11:36:50 am »
AndyInMokum,
Thanks for the information.  I won't be able to get at this for a while as I'll be on the road the next two weeks for business.  I'll need to digest this first.  I just reloaded everything to a new install of windows 7 so I already have a back up of data/files.  Thanks again for your help.  Jeff

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
AndyInMokum,
Thanks for the information.  I won't be able to get at this for a while as I'll be on the road the next two weeks for business.  I'll need to digest this first.  I just reloaded everything to a new install of windows 7 so I already have a back up of data/files.  Thanks again for your help.  Jeff

No problem, its my pleasure  ;)!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:04:33 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline schmitzr1984

• nOOb
  • Less is more
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4 and 5
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 12:56:54 pm »
Seeing you have Windows on one partition, you have the ability to make a further three logical partitions or, two before you have to use extended partitions to make further  partitions.

Sorry for going off on a tangent and I'm not trying to nit pick here, but I did a little research on GPT vs MBR partition tables after reading this thread.  It turns out the 4 logical partition table limit doesn't apply to a GPT partition table.  According to this article GPT theoretically supports an unlimited number of partitions, see http://www.maketecheasier.com/differences-between-mbr-and-gpt/

Another couple of fun facts in the above article.  MBR limits each partition to 2TB, GPT supports up to 9.44ZB for a 512-byte block (1 ZB is 1 billion terabytes).  GPT stores a backup header and partition table at the end of the disk so it can be recovered if the primary tables are corrupted.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread at all, I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share... I'm actually considering switching to GPT on my own PC now, this seems worth it for the backup part alone.  ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 02:21:46 pm »
Seeing you have Windows on one partition, you have the ability to make a further three logical partitions or, two before you have to use extended partitions to make further  partitions.

Sorry for going off on a tangent and I'm not trying to nit pick here, but I did a little research on GPT vs MBR partition tables after reading this thread.  It turns out the 4 logical partition table limit doesn't apply to a GPT partition table.  According to this article GPT theoretically supports an unlimited number of partitions, see http://www.maketecheasier.com/differences-between-mbr-and-gpt/

Another couple of fun facts in the above article.  MBR limits each partition to 2TB, GPT supports up to 9.44ZB for a 512-byte block (1 ZB is 1 billion terabytes).  GPT stores a backup header and partition table at the end of the disk so it can be recovered if the primary tables are corrupted.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread at all, I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share... I'm actually considering switching to GPT on my own PC now, this seems worth it for  the backup part alone.  ;D

I did not realize this.  This is really interesting.  I have to do some more research.  GPT look really versitile.  It would save all the gymnastics involved with extended partitions and the 2TB limit. Thanks for pointing this out   ;).  What I've given jlschwartz should work well for him though.

Offline jsb

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 5
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »

Free at last! You should celebrate: your M$-Windoze-free life has begun!

Just curious: why do you absolutely need M$ Windows? I suppose there might be some reason(s), but I have been without M$-Windoze for over ten years and have had no regrets about not being victimized by it -- not to mention the money I have saved by not needing to buy user licenses for unsafe software. 8)

Regards,
 -- Slim

:)  My dual boot phase, which was only about 9 months, recently ended in a similar manner to this.

It was Xubuntu, not Peppermint that freed me. When I decided to give the recent LTS of that a try, it told me something like "your system has peppermint 4 do you want to install alongside or replace peppermint 4". Silly me thought "hmm, I guess it does not even see windows on there" and I told it to replace peppermint.

When I realized that it had wiped out windows, I did not really care, even though before reading this, I had thought I had no way of ever restoring windows.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
AndyInMokum,

I have some questions on your explanation above.  After resizing the windows partition and you begin formatting, the first right click when you select new is to format the whole space - right? I'm confused because you keep saying click on the gray unallocated space but I thought you allocated it with the first procedure you indicate to do.  Sorry for asking a dumb question but I'm new to this process.  Can you clarify this a little more?  Thanks.  Jeff

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
I booted to the Peppermint 5 live USB and ran gparted.  What I see is 3 partitions as follows:

/dev/sda1  Size is 100.00 MIB   Format Fat32  Flag is Boot
/dev/sda2 Size is 128.00 Mib Unknown Format   Flag is msftres
/dev/sda3  Size is 297.87 Gib Format NTFS  Flag is msftdata
unallocated  size is 1.34 Mib  everything else is blank.

In your write up above you said I should see one large partition but I see 3.  So I thought I better show you this.  Please let me know what I should do.  Thanks.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:44 am »
Well for starters you don't have a partition big enough for linux, your bulk of your drive is your win 7 partition, and the other 2 partitions I am assuming are the win 7 recovery partitions and data partitions needed to restore win 7... you would have to use gparted and shrink your windows partition and create enough unallocated space so linux can see there is room to install side by side with win 7...  I am not sure what peppermint 5 minimum size is but i am pretty sure you would need at least 6 gigs of space for it but if you can give it more it would be better for you in the long run... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:37 pm »
AndyInMokum or anyone who can help:

I set up the partitions for Peppermint 5 installation as described above.  However, I 'm confused as I have the root partition at 30 gig, the swap partition at 9 gig, and the home partition at 18 gig.  As I'm beginning the installation you indicate that the root partition will be the smaller of the two ext4 partitions.  I must have done something wrong as as I have the home partition smaller.  Please advise if I need to change this and if so how.  I don't want to do this installation wrong.  Thanks for your help.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »
2 linux partitions are not needed... all you need is an ext4 partition and a swap partition, that is how I set up all my linux machines, and they all work fine...
if you are confused and don't want to mess things up, my suggestion would be to create one big unallocated space, then boot from live cd, and use the side by side option, and let the installer use that unallocated space...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:31 pm »
I tried what you are suggesting, but the Peppermint install still does not detect Windows 7 and the option of a side by side installation is not available.  That is what started this in the first place and why I'm trying to install it this way.  I'm really at a loss for what to do now.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »
Any reason you're using a separate /home partition ?

How did you create these partitions .. before, or during the installation ?

Have you already installed in the configuration you mentioned ?

Do you mean the "installer" doesn't detect Windows, or do you mean an installed version of Peppermint doesn't add Windows to the bootloader ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec