Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Browser  (Read 27603 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Best Browser
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »
@VinDSL

Someone here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/352433/high-ram-and-cpu-consumption-by-this-process
suggests turning on hardware acceleration fixed it for him.

layers.acceleration.force-enabled          true
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2019, 01:29:05 pm »
@VinDSL

Someone here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/352433/high-ram-and-cpu-consumption-by-this-process
suggests turning on hardware acceleration fixed it for him.

I'll try it, Chief. Thanks.

On another front, I think I might have been staring at the prob, the whole time...

I'm not really a Firefox fanboi (ahem), so maybe a legacy user can help me think this through.

My understanding is that this .jar file is supposed to be a temporary container, for serving suggestions to users, in the drop-down menu, when they start typing in addy bar - basically, reading one's mind. In this case, it would be gathering data on me, based on the music videos (it thinks) I'm watching and listening to, whether or not I'm sitting there or AFK.

Unless I'm misreading the situation, htop is indicating omni.ja isn't being released from mem after it's updated - maybe intentionally - maybe not.

If that's the case, and Fx is storing user data in a .jar, then there's no reason to keep it in memory when you close Fx.

Whatcha think?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:45:52 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2019, 02:22:52 pm »

Okay, I did the deed, closed Fx, cleared the mem, restarted Fx, and we'll see what happens. Takes a day or so to crawl its way to the top of the processes heap - then a few more days to chomp all the remaining mem.  ;D

By the way, the acceleration is definitely working. I checked 'about:support'  and it's showing as "true".

Plus, my GPU is running almost 20C warmer. If I get thermal runaway, I'll need to set it back to default.

EDIT

Minimizing the window lowered GPU temps by 18C, so there's a workaround.

"That'll do pig, that'll do (ending to Babe)," as Farmer Hoggett would say. LoL
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:41:48 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:18 am »
Hrm... A very strange thing has happened to me, over in Botlandia  8)

Conspiracies are real. Are you up for a conspiracy theory ?

First of all, the vid card  acceleration haxor (above) actually made the runaway RAM usage worse. It 'pegged the meter' in less than 24 hrs - Ram and GPU temps. so I reverted back to the default setting.

After observing things for a day or two, I finally decided to give up on the idea of monitoring my bots 24/7 using Firefox. Fx didn't *seem* to be up to the task.

Enter "Waddie"...

Waddie is a friendly bot, on the music site itself, that adds and extends functionality, depending on your auth. Without getting into it too much, it's similar to the CP functions in the SMF software that Peppermint OS Forums uses - users, trusted users, mods, and so forth.

The music site crashed yesterday, and Waddie hasn't come back online. Maybe the API is toast - who knows?

I'm starting to smell a rat. I have a *feeling* that Waddie, the bot, is harvesting cryto in the background, while ppl are watching/listening to music - which is fine. Sites need to support themselves, one way or another. Bandwidth isn't cheap.

Anyway, Fx RAM has simmered down, during Waddie's absence.  It's no better or worse than Opera. They're trading spots back n' forth in htop. However, sadly (or not) Chromium is still the winner, for stability and longevity. A simple F5 refresh, every 4-5 days puts Chromium back on course.

We'll see what happens when Waddie returns.  ;)

Continuing...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:32:55 am by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 13, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
Got it! I FINALLY found a workaround  8)

Took me a couple of weeks of farting around, but I'm starting to like Fx again, so it wasn't a wasted effort.

If you'll remember (above) Fx was consuming all of my RAM, given enough time i.e. being active 24/7.

I won't get into all of the conventional trials n' errors, while haxoring Fx itself, but none of them worked.

Anyway, it was just a matter discovering the right mixture of addons and haxoring their various advanced settings.

The addons I ended up using were uBlock Origin and Tab Reloader (page auto refresh).

uBlock Origin required some site-specific tweeks, in its advanced settings dashboard, but I won't bore you with them, since it's unlikely you'll be monitoring your Chromium DJ bots on Dubtrack.fm using Fx.

After messing with Tab Reloader's dashboard, to no avail, I ended up basically leaving it alone e.g. OOTB install.

The only remaining glitch was to RE-ENABLE autoplay in Fx. This was accomplished by unchecking the followng box:

Code: [Select]
about:preferences#privacy => Permissions section => Block websites from automatically playing setting => Exceptions… =>  https://www.dubtrack.fm => Allow => Save Changes 
Simple pimple, really. It just took awhile to separate the wheat from the chaff...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:11:12 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »
Cool, glad you figured it out in the end .. ya gotta love addons :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:06 pm »
Cool, glad you figured it out in the end .. ya gotta love addons :)

Yup! That uBlock Origin addon is golden.

Several minutes after a refresh, Dubtrack.fm throws a popup, inviting ppl to join the site.

uBlock Origin has an 'Element picker mode' that allows one to easily block the popup.

It also allows blocking ALL popups on a site - and a lock to make changes permanent, after debug.

Seems like uBlock Origin just keeps getting better and better...  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2019, 08:41:46 am »
Germany's cyber-security agency recommends Firefox as most secure browser
Germany's BSI tested Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Edge. Firefox was only browser to pass all minimum requirements for mandatory security features.

By Catalin Cimpanu for Zero Day

https://www.zdnet.com/article/germanys-cyber-security-agency-recommends-firefox-as-most-secure-browser/

This is impressive.  Although I still use Chrome beta or Brave for our occasional printing needs, Firefox, since Peppermint 9, has become my browser of choice.  Also, I like seeing that green padlock up there in the search bar.  That feature in and of itself is worth its weight in gold. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:52 pm »
According to Firefox 71 beta 3: Connection not secure. Parts of this page are not secure (such as images) Your cennection to this site  is not private  :-\
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2019, 03:30:19 pm »
According to Firefox 71 beta 3: Connection not secure. Parts of this page are not secure (such as images) Your connection to this site is not private  :-\

Hi Johan,

For fun, try playing with Content Blocking in Preferences.  First try Strict, or playing with Custom, and see if that helps change anything.  I usually set my browser on Strict for content blocking, though I'm sure there's usually no need to do so.

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2019, 03:39:10 pm »
According to Firefox 71 beta 3: Connection not secure. Parts of this page are not secure (such as images) Your cennection to this site  is not private  :-\

That just tells you that there are elements of the webpage you are viewing that come from non-SSL sites (http rather than https) .. it may be that the web page you're on is SSL (https) but some images that are being displayed or actually hosted elsewhere on a non-SSL (http) website.

For example:- this forum is SSL (https) but people are allowed to link to images from other websites that are not SSL.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2019, 09:04:08 am »
According to Firefox 71 beta 3: Connection not secure. Parts of this page are not secure (such as images) Your connection to this site is not private  :-\

Hi Johan,

For fun, try playing with Content Blocking in Preferences.  First try Strict, or playing with Custom, and see if that helps change anything.  I usually set my browser on Strict for content blocking, though I'm sure there's usually no need to do so.

perknh

It was set on Custom, but strict makes no difference.

Thanks Mark ;)
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2019, 07:42:38 am »
That just tells you that there are elements of the webpage you are viewing that come from non-SSL sites (http rather than https) .. it may be that the web page you're on is SSL (https) but some images that are being displayed or actually hosted elsewhere on a non-SSL (http) website.

For example:- this forum is SSL (https) but people are allowed to link to images from other websites that are not SSL.

Might using EFF's HTTPS Everywhere extension help tighten up the non-SSL sites?

Firefox, since Peppermint 9, has become my browser of choice.  Also, I like seeing that green padlock up there in the search bar.  That feature in and of itself is worth its weight in gold...

Hey, what happened today to our green padlock in Firefox? :o  I just upgraded to Firefox 70 this morning, and I no longer see that bright green padlock in the search bar.  What a bummer! :(

P.S.

Okay, I just found this.  We've got to go into about:config to get it back.  You write in the word gray into the about:config search bar, and then you toggle off security.secure_connection_icon_color_gray.  That's all there is to it, and we've now got our little green friend back! ;)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:22:35 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2019, 07:59:48 am »

It might .. it'd also likely block those images from non-SSL sites, so it's a choice you have to make.

I mean the images aren't really a security risk, but links to other content types such as scripts MAY be .. it's a balancing act .. personally I just bung on uBlock Origin and let it do the discriminating for me, but some people like to go further such as a script blocking extension like NoScript, but that too comes with its own inconveniences.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:05:12 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2019, 08:19:23 am »

It might .. it'd also likely block those images from non-SSL sites, so it's a choice you have to make.

I mean the images aren't really a security risk, but links to other content types such as scripts MAY be .. it's a balancing act .. personally I just bung on uBlock Origin and let it do the discriminating for me, but some people like to go further such as a script blocking extension like NoScript, but that too comes with its own inconveniences.

[EDIT]

I confused NoScript with ScriptSafe in an earlier post.  ScriptSafe, though a mighty little beast, also comes with too many inconveniences for everyday browsing use.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:26:04 am by perknh »