Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Browser  (Read 30845 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Best Browser
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2018, 07:24:00 am »
In my experience Opera has worked best with Peppermint on my machines.  I like Vivaldi but have found it to be a bit slow.  Iridium is fast but I'm not sold on its security.  YMMV, however.   ;)

@mac

Good morning, mac,

I've found a nifty little open source extension (which is compatible with UBlock Origin) that has helped speed up my connections with Chromium-based browsers -- Vivaldi amongst them!  It's called Decentraleyes, and it deals with Content Delivery Networks, or CNDs.  My understanding is that our friends at Google often farm out who, or what, delivers our content through Google Hosted Libraries.  This extension, Decentraleyes, helps cut out the middleman, thus speeding up the entire process while giving us more private and secure connections.

At least that's my layman's understanding of this process. ;)

FAQs for Decentraleyes:

https://github.com/Synzvato/decentraleyes/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Best Browser: FLOW - Share Things Between Peppermint Linux OS and Your Phone
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2018, 06:05:12 am »
Do you send emails or messages to yourself so you won’t forget something cool you found online?

With FLOW you can share and keep links, images, videos and notes across your devices.

FLOW connects your Peppermint Opera desktop browser with Opera Touch, their mobile browser.

It’s a seamless connection between your phone and your personal computer.

Establishing the connection between Peppermint and your phone doesn't require a login, password or an account. 

SOURCE: https://www.opera.com/computer/features/flow

EXTRA CREDIT READING: https://www.opera.com/client/upgraded
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:20:33 am by VinDSL, Reason: Added link »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2018, 06:31:06 am »
Nice find, Perk.  Interesting.  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:54 am »
Thanks, mac.  The difference this has made for my installation of Vivaldi in terms of speed has been like the difference between night and day.  Vivaldi for me now is markedly faster -- and I guess it's even more private and secure too.

But, like you say, your mileage may vary. ;)

Offline jamespandit

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2018, 06:20:13 am »
Tried Yandex Browser yet?
James Pandit
Showbox Mobdro Tutuapp

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2018, 06:31:08 pm »
Tried Yandex Browser yet?

Hi jamespandit,

Welcome to Peppermint! :)

Yes, I've used Yandex browser off and on over the last year and a half.  I uninstalled it recently because, after a recent update, I couldn't get into its settings page.  Also, the same thing happened to a friend of mine:  she couldn't get into Yandex browser's setting page either.  Hey, these things happen, it's in beta!

This is, more or less, what my installation of Yandex browser looks like on my computer when I do run it.  Personally, I like Yandex browser.  It's sleek, quick, and minimalist. ;)

perknh

P.S.

Here is an interesting article on Yandex the company.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:42:27 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:49 pm »
Over the last several hours (which admittedly is not a lot of time) I've had a chance to play with Firefox Quantum, Waterfox, and Basilisk.  I've synced them all to my Firefox account, and they all running Peppermint's DDG search engine their default search engine.  I would just like to post here my initial observations while they're fresh in my mind.

As expected, the three browsers are behaviorally nearly identical -- their differences being mostly on which version of Firefox they are based.  There are some slight superficial differences between the browsers (the width of the search bar, or icon styles, or whether of not they've gone Quantum yet).

Currently Firefox Quantum stable is running version 61.0.1.  Waterfox is based on Firefox 56.2.2, while Basilisk is based on Firefox 52.9.  The thing that surprised me the most about Waterfox and Basilisk was that updating on both browsers was set for Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk).  That surprised me! :o  To be on the safer side of things, I set the the advance update feature of those two browsers to Automatically install updates (recommended: improved security).  Perhaps that was an unnecessary move on my part because the two browsers will most likely update themselves.  Still, I want to see what happens.

Waterfox was able to support four extensions I use -- Decentraleyes, ScriptSafe, uBlock Origin, and LastPass.  Basilisk was able to support two of the four extensions I use -- uBlock Origin and LastPass.  With both Decentraleyes and ScriptSafe I got the following message:  This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0). You are using Firefox 52.9.

On deciding which of these three browsers to set as my default, Chris Hoffman's two interesting opinion pieces for How-To Geek called Despite Firefox Quantum’s Success, Mozilla Has Lost Its Way and Why You Shouldn’t Use Firefox Forks Like Waterfox, Pale Moon, or Basilisk helped me decide.  (I also recollected a post that VinDSL wrote some time back concerning Iridium browser.  Although I'm running all three browsers (and am planning on continuing to do so), IMO Hoffman makes a sound argument for staying with Firefox -- especially if one is concerned with patches or security.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:01:08 pm by perknh »

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2018, 03:59:10 pm »
I'm a long time Pale Moon user/booster, but I've had good experience with  Chromium.
I've installed Opera several times (I was an Opera user back when you had to pay for it!) but for some reason it never "grabs" me.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2018, 05:59:38 pm »
I'm a long time Pale Moon user/booster, but I've had good experience with  Chromium.
I've installed Opera several times (I was an Opera user back when you had to pay for it!) but for some reason it never "grabs" me.

One of many reasons I was drawn towards Peppermint years ago was Chromium browser.  From Peppermint 3 to Peppermint 8.1, I was either running Chromium or Opera or sometimes even Chrome.  But since Peppermint 9 I've been awestruck with the quality of Firefox Quantum.  Firefox no longer lags or skips when I write a Gmail, and it now supports all the extensions I was able to use before in the Chromium-based browsers. 

I haven't tried Pale Moon yet, but I have installed Basilisk and Waterfox, and I do take them out for a ride every now and then.  One day I'll look at Pale Moon too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:36:29 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:18 pm »
For some reason, Opera runs very slow on my laptop and i switched to chromium a moth ago. Now with the new Firefox Quantum i don't know which is less memory consuming, Firefox or Chromium?
I've also wanted to give WaterFox a try but couldn't find an easy way to install/update it (apt-get...).

Hello Ly,

I found this resource online for Waterfox yesterday, and it worked fine for me.

Good luck! ;)

perknh

https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb

Offline marifink

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2018, 09:09:47 am »
How did you get  tired of it?) I just use it for my work and don't think what browser i'm using.... Chrome, chrome, only chrome...

Offline makey

• Newly Subscribed
  • smattering of everything and knowledge of nothing
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2018, 11:02:56 am »
Hello well i recommend:

GNU IceCat is the GNU version of the Firefox browser
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

and

Mozilla  Extended Support Release
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

and if you are concern about your privacy take a read at : https://www.privacytools.io/

other like Chrome, are products of google even Chromium use google services, and based like brave or opera can collect data from you through the services of google.
i know no one browser is the perfect one but if you are concern use firefox or tor.

and one last recommendation for search engine use https://searx.me/ is a good metasearch engine.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2018, 11:11:17 am »
[...]and one last recommendation for search engine use https://searx.me/ is a good metasearch engine.

I decided to give it a try, and yes, it passed the test.

It gave proper and complete results for the most beloved and berated patriot - the most banned individual - in His Majesty's former rebel colony  ;D

LINK: https://searx.me/?q=alex%20jones&categories=general&language=en-US

Nice one, makey!

Offline makey

• Newly Subscribed
  • smattering of everything and knowledge of nothing
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2018, 05:06:01 pm »

I decided to give it a try, and yes, it passed the test.

It gave proper and complete results for the most beloved and berated patriot - the most banned individual - in His Majesty's former rebel colony  ;D

LINK: https://searx.me/?q=alex%20jones&categories=general&language=en-US

Nice one, makey!

Glad to give that info.  8)

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2018, 06:59:35 am »
I used to be a staunch Firefox fan.  Have used it for years. But over the last 6 months it has started to crash too often.  I did the rounds trying ever other browser out and eventually settled with Opera.  It works well across all platforms and seems pretty stable with lots of extras should you need them.