Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Browser  (Read 22568 times)

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: Best Browser
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2017, 04:44:18 am »
Either way you're still running Firefox .. and usually an old (and possibly insecure) version at that.

This is what occurred to me when I looked at Pale Moon and IceCat, and Seamonkey had far too much stuff in it. Vivaldi and Opera looked promising, but their privacy policies and terms of service didn't reassure me. So Firefox it is!

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2017, 07:33:45 am »
Vivaldi and Opera looked promising, but...

Gotta say, I never paid any attention to Vivaldi, until I followed this thread.

Vivaldi appears to be Opera, 'on drugs'.  >:(

I'll stick with Opera - "Just the facts, ma'am.'  Who needs all that cruft ?!?!?

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2017, 10:51:11 am »
i switched from Firefox/Chromium to Opera some days ago, Like the VPN and Ad block options and the design overall. It also fires up a little bit faster than Firefox. It can also have access to chrome's extensions so it's all good for me  :) .

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »
I was interested by those features as well, and Vivaldi seemed even more feature rich. Then I read the privacy policies and terms of service for both. Firefox's seemed less invasive to me.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:45 pm »
FFFTW
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:14 am »
Either way you're still running Firefox .. and usually an old (and possibly insecure) version at that.
(possibly in the same way Google showed Chromium clones were usually less secure than the real thing .. including the ones from the so called 'security' experts like Comodo)
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=704

Where browsers like SRWare Iron and IceCat state they remove suspect features from and add 'privacy' to Chromium/Firefox, they are usually things you can do yourself in the settings or with extensions .. and they're usually a few releases behind, so missing recent security fixes.
https://www.howtogeek.com/108384/6-alternative-browsers-based-on-google-chrome/

Along with possible security concerns Peppermint couldn't consider a browser (as the supplied default) that doesn't have an active repository for updates, and/or isn't open source, and/or would infringe licensing.

Sorry, if I'm a bit annoying coming back to this. As you already know I use Firefox and I'm happy with that. On my mobile I use Firefox Focus (this is much "smaller" than FF, which makes sense on a mobile)

As I can read from Pale Moon forum there's this statement from the Lead Developer...
"Every Firefox release cycle, I contact the Mozilla Security team to get bug access for otherwise locked sec bugs. This allows me to audit these vulnerabilities, assess applicability, and port across what applies to our code base. Our security is at all times at least at the release edge of the equivalent published Firefox version, and in some cases beyond it.
If you think Pale Moon 27 is "rebranded Firefox 38.0" then you should stop and read up a little on what Pale Moon is before saying anything more."

But, most interesting is...
"I have absolutely no intention to cave in to peer pressure, if it were ever applied. Pale Moon will not be a place to collect data and will not be burdened by in-program aggregators or similar. Quite the opposite: a lot of data collection code has been removed already, and we're continuing to do so.
We have no interest in your data or content. It's yours and yours alone.
This policy also extends to our servers: We don't log more than what is needed for normal operational procedures, and we generally also don't retain this data longer than necessary. This is why we e.g. don't have ready statistics for the number of Pale Moon users - we don't collect that data.
As an aside: Working on removing telemetry code from the core actually brought to light just to what excruciating detail Mozilla collects data through their telemetry. It's a real mountain - more data than I can really understand a company like that would ever need to collect from their browser users to improve their product. It looks very much like OCD, to be honest. I can only assume Microsoft is doing the same to a similar level."

It doesn't seem to me to be an old version of Firefox. Just a version where invasive tools are actively been removed from the upstream.

Now, it does contain proprietary tools but,
"The profile migration tool, web installer stub, and some other helper applications are released under a different freeware license. These tools are not part of the browser and do not need to be Open Source. You also in no way need these tools to be able to fully use the browser in all its facets. There is no requirement or even reason why I should be forced to also release helper applications that are in no way tied to browser operation as Open Source as well."

Suck  :-\

It would just feel so much better to have a good third alternative...

Tor anyone?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:40:05 pm by pin »

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2017, 10:44:51 am »
That's interesting, pin, thanks for sharing. Could you post a link as well? I'm curious to read the thread these quotes are from.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2017, 01:18:21 pm »
Sure N, here you go:
Security issues in Palemoon?, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=14610

About telemetry, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9033&start=20#p61077

About the non-open source tools, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=15018

Good read!
The nice thing about pale moon is that it looks and works just like firefox, so I feel at home  :)

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 03:43:20 am »
Thanks for sharing those links, pin. I chose Firefox hoping for better privacy but this puts me in some doubt.

Here is something I found about disabling telemetry options in Firefox (haven't tried this myself yet):
https://superuser.com/questions/1003201/how-do-i-stop-mozilla-telemetry/1003208

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:49 am »
Thanks N. Looks like a very simple thing to do. I will probably test it and see if it has any impact on other things. Namely, netflix that requires DRL content to be activated, as well as browser history. The first one makes sense, but why does it require the second one, beats me ??

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2017, 05:16:18 pm »
my browser of choice has been FF and FF ESR since the phoenix days  mainly for extensions and tweaking/ configuration ease.
When browser-hopping, I always end up back at the familiar comfort zone, bit like peppermint when distro-hopping  ;)

Has anyone tried the new updated Yandex browser yet?
Here is what I've recently read about it:

Yandex Browser 17.7.1.791

Yandex Browser is another Chrome based browser featuring a fast minimalist interface with unique features like Stealth Mode.

It takes Chrome up a notch starting with its “Tile” looking home page and a background of your choice, including animated wallpapers, making this a familiar look to Windows 10 users. Yandex calls this “Tableau.” Yeah, we had to look it up. I think the best fit is “a graphic description or representation.” Those who prefer a minimalist appearance can restart from settings and load it without the background photos, etc. See the last screenshot for how that looks. It is also capable of warning you of dangerous sites and uses Kaspersky for download scanning.

One really nice feature is Stealth Mode; it permits you to block cookies, tracking devices and effectively hide your IP. You can also get extensions, manage your downloads and even sync across devices. You have access to numerous language translations.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2017, 09:15:43 pm »
Sure N, here you go:
Security issues in Palemoon?, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=14610

About telemetry, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9033&start=20#p61077

About the non-open source tools, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=15018

Good read!
The nice thing about pale moon is that it looks and works just like firefox, so I feel at home  :)

greatly appreciate your clarification pin... answering from palemoon now...
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:59 am »
I will probably test it and see if it has any impact on other things.

If you try this, please share how it goes!

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2017, 06:44:49 am »
@spence
Hope you enjoy palemoon. I like it a lot.
@N
Will report back but, don't know when I have time to do it.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »
@spence
Hope you enjoy palemoon. I like it a lot.

As stated previously, my entry onto the www was with Netscape Navigator 3.0 Gold... so I am quite fond of all things Mozilla... or perhaps better stated I have fond memories of the Netscape era... Modern Mozilla has put me off... II dislike some of their habits and their corporate slide into near irrelevance....

So adding a forked project from the original netscape gecko code base feels like coming home to me... happy to have Palemoon and Seamonkey back in play... 
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.