Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Browser  (Read 26890 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Best Browser
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2019, 07:19:53 pm »
Loving the new Firefox 70 here in Pep 10, even more security than ever before plenty of blocking peers and trackers. Love the new logo too.  :D

Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
I don't know how you created that page, clatterfordslim, but you've got a nice look there.  I'm very fond of dark themes, and your page there does a great job of highlighting the new Firefox logo. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2019, 08:37:38 pm »
I don't know how you created that page, clatterfordslim, but you've got a nice look there.  I'm very fond of dark themes, and your page there does a great job of highlighting the new Firefox logo. :)

Hi Perknh, Go into customize under the three lines on the far right of the screen in Firefox and under themes choose Dark,  also if you don't like the added search bars as default you can drag them out and into the box where all the other stuff you see in the big box below. Then hit done on the bottom right. It then comes out dark instead of the light theme. Also unlock Firefox Theme Lock in
Code: [Select]
Pep Menu/Settings

Absolutely loving Firefox.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:51:17 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2019, 09:37:30 pm »
Thank you, clatterfordslim. 

I'm already using a dark theme.  However I've never seen a Firefox themed homepage with DDG as its search engine until today.  Me?  I'm using Firefox's New Tab page with a dark theme.  It's simple but user-friendly.  I bet your homepage would look great with Firefox's Nightly theme too.  The blue "fox" is cool looking too. ;)

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2019, 04:46:35 am »
The dark theme in Customize, it's to dark for me personally. I use a Firefox theme called Argon experimental and when I open a new tab, it opens with a dark tab page.
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #320 on: October 28, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
I've stay with the default browsers that come with the Linux distro.

I like Firefox 70 in Peppermint 10 and I use Firefox ESR 68.2.0 in Antix 19 and they work great imo.

I've used PaleMoon and SeaMonkey and they worked OK.

I've used Chromium in Peppermint 8 and it worked OK although don't care for it now.

I used Google Chrome back in my Windows XP  days and thought it was great although I don't core for it now.

I'm happy with Firefox. :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:04:51 pm by 151tom »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #321 on: October 28, 2019, 08:13:46 pm »
Gimme Firefox or a glorious death, nothing else comes close .. Arrrgh
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:18:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #322 on: October 28, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
Good One. ;D

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 29, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »

And especially feel the absolute love for Firefox on A peppermint Dizzy would be nice, rubbing a giant Peppermint or licking one. :))
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:54:20 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2019, 01:19:26 pm »
.. it's a balancing act .. personally I just bung on uBlock Origin and let it do the discriminating for me, but some people like to go further such as a script blocking extension like NoScript, but that too comes with its own inconveniences.

No question about it, uBlock Origin makes using YouTube, and surfing the web, a much more pleasant experience.  An ad in front of your face every time you want to watch a video clip sure gets old after a while.  I'm hoping Quad9's DNS service will help block any real time threats for us, and I appreciate uBlock Origin continually updating its lists in order to block both dangerous and nuisance sites. 

I'm also using HTTPS EVERYWHERE, and I'm still stumbling frequently upon non-secured sites.   Do I really need to use Privacy Badger, I don't know.  Privacy Badger uses heuristics, and, in theory, its use makes sense to me.  I use Decentraleyes too, which, I'll admit, is a little esoteric.  Decentraleyes is on Firefox's recommended list, so it's probably a smart add-on to use.

This is its claim:

Protects you against tracking through "free", centralized, content delivery. It prevents a lot of requests from reaching networks like Google Hosted Libraries, and serves local files to keep sites from breaking. Complements regular content blockers.

-- Thomas Rientjes

Honestly, I can't see that I'm doing anything differently with my add-ons selection than what Brave browser is doing -- other than personalizing add-ons a little more, and doing so upon a more privacy-focused, Mozilla-based browser than that of a less privacy-focused, Chromium-based (Google) one.  (Yes, I still use Chrome at times, but not nearly as much as I used to.  In use it mostly for printing.)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:13 am »
I've been beginning to question the merits of Brave browser.  This article, which I discovered yesterday, is making me think we might just be better off using Firefox or, if need be, Chromium or Chrome with a few added extensions such as uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, and Decentraleyes.

Perhaps I overreacted, but after reading this article, I removed Brave from my computer and phone.  (I'm now trying Firefox Preview on my phone.)  Although Brave's not a bad browser, perhaps it's not been all it's been cracked up to be.

Here is the article.  My only grievience with the article is that I see it somewhat conflates security with privacy; but just maybe in this case, the conflation of the two concepts is perfectly justified -- since it is discussing the whitelisting of Facebook within Brave browser's code.

Maybe, MAYBE, this whitelisting within Brave could be overruled with use of uBlock Origin -- I don't know.  All I know is that I've recommended Brave to a friend of mine running Peppermint because her computer, for whatever reasons,  cannot handle Firefox.  Now she's adopted, and fallen in love, with Brave browser.  And now I'm wondering if I should pull the recommendation I've given her for Brave, or just add uBlock Origin to the browser, and let things be. :-\

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 18, 2019, 09:03:07 am »

All I know is that I've recommended Brave to a friend of mine running Peppermint because her computer, for whatever reasons,  cannot handle Firefox.

Has your friend got a SSD or a normal hard drive?? Ram can be a thing too, how much ram has she got? Sorry for the Spanish inquisition  ;D
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" Monty Python.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #327 on: November 18, 2019, 02:24:35 pm »
I'm not a fan of Brave simply because they are attempting to control web advertising (actually in a quite bullying way, but that's another story) .. this IMHO puts them in a position which will inevitably be in conflict with the interests of their userbase.

But they'll fail anyway....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 18, 2019, 02:39:46 pm »
Has your friend got a SSD or a normal hard drive?? Ram can be a thing too, how much ram has she got? Sorry for the Spanish inquisition  ;D

I suspect her computer doesn't have a lot of ram -- probably 4, maybe 6 GBs of ram.  And, yes, it's a normal hard drive, not an SSD.  That one particular computer has ALWAYS had a choppy experience with FF.

I wonder if keeping Brave, but adding uBlock Origin to it, would override the defects of Brave's added code that have now been been brought to light.  I would assume, yes, but I don't know for certain. :-\

P.S.

And thanks for the Monty Python clip. ;D

I'm not a fan of Brave simply because they are attempting to control web advertising (actually in a quite bullying way, but that's another story) .. this IMHO puts them in a position which will inevitably be in conflict with the interests of their userbase.

But they'll fail anyway....

After reading that article, I'm much less of a fan of Brave today than I was yesterday.  But, in this particular case, do you think uBlock Origin might override that code with the Facebook permissions?

I would think it should, but I don't know. :-\  (I do know that uBlock Origin is a mighty little beast.)

And, yes, there is a conflict of interest with Brave, and I can clearly see it now.

Facebook?  Please... ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:45:48 pm by perknh »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2019, 02:40:33 pm »
I've been beginning to question the merits of Brave browser [...] Perhaps I overreacted, but after reading this article, I removed Brave from my computer and phone.

I haven't purged Brave yet (I have 2 vers installed), but I never use it anymore.

With my recently restored faith in Fx, in mind... 

I've been using the Tor browser for security work and anonymity, which of course, is Fx based.

If you haven't installed the Tor browser lately, you might want to revisit it   ;)