Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Browser  (Read 23104 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Best Browser
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:53 pm »
Sorta curious, given your level of safety and security anxiety studiousness, I figured you'd appreciate opening every web application in the isolated containers a Firefox SSB creates. Effectively each SSB is blocking websites from following you around the web. If I understand this and PCNetSpec's explanations all correctly?

No, you're onto something here, spence.  I think anxiety's a good word -- along with a healthy dose of pessimism!   You know maybe I should start using SSBs again.  I mean, this is Peppermint.  If we're going to use an SSB anywhere, Peppermint is the place.  ;)

Meanwhile, my hubster's of the mind that they have everything on us already and he can't be too overly concerned. In our case that means Putin knows everything too, for they have a long conjoined history.[/color]

I hear that argument quite frequently, spence:  it's usually from pessimists!  ;D   But seriously, what are his thoughts concerning Yandex search or Yandex browser today as compared to a half dozen years ago?
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »
Hubster wouldn't touch any browser outta China nor Russia perknh... Knowing they may write all the most warm and fuzzy language into their policies, but their laws & policies are whatever the people in power tell the web providers they are on any given day. "Today we scour all traffic from Yekaterinburg and San Francisco because xyz enemy of Putin are there today" Honestly... just don't bother. Russia is set to close the borders of it's internet, Hubster is watching the protests there.
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2019, 03:30:51 pm »
Hubster wouldn't touch any browser outta China nor Russia perknh... Knowing they may write all the most warm and fuzzy language into their policies, but their laws & policies are whatever the people in power tell the web providers they are on any given day. "Today we scour all traffic from Yekaterinburg and San Francisco because xyz enemy of Putin are there today"

Thank you, spence.   

Honestly... just don't bother. Russia is set to close the borders of it's internet, Hubster is watching the protests there.

Yes, after watching how things have been developing there on my own, I decided recently to drop my accounts from there.  Then, a couple days after doing so , I read that about Mr. P's intention/aspiration to close off (or to be able to close off) Russia's Internet completely from the outside world. 

Thanks, but no thanks.  There's no way I want to go down that rabbit hole. ::)

I hate seeing the world balkanizing itself into various Web spaces, but that's exactly what's happening now.   Balkanizing cyberspace destroys the entire concept of the World Wide Web.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:30 am »
I've been monitoring bot activity lately, using Fx. As a consequence, I leave Fx running for days at a time, listening/watching Dubtrack.fm.

I've noticed, at certain times, and under some circumstances (which I haven't fully patterned yet) Fx goes crazy and chews up all my RAM (16 GB).

Thank you Conky, for warning me, before it brings down my whole machine.

Also, I've noticed, when I shutdown Fx, it doesn't release the mem. RAM remains locked.

Fx's "Web Content" is always my top process - it doesn't go away, when I close Fx - and RAM never recovers.

The only way I've found to kill Fx's RAM hungry "Web Content" is to close Fx, and pipe the following commands in CLI:

Code: [Select]
for ch_id in `ps -ef | grep "firefox -contentproc" --color=never | awk ' { t = $1; $1 = $3; $3 = t; print; } ' | grep "^1" --color=never | awk '{print$2}'`; do kill -9 $ch_id ; done

Then, I restart Fx, and it's good until the next time.

Stripping processes, using uBlock Origin and  NoScript, has no effect on Web Content's never ceasing RAM appetite.

Just saying...  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:01 am »
Well that's the very definition of a memory leak.

Can't say I've noticed it, but I probably haven't run Fx for days on end  since Fx 67 came out.

It'll make a change for Fx to have a memory leak instead of Chrome :)

Are you still using nightly ?

And you haven't toggled gfx.webrender.all to true have you ? .. IIRC WebRender was supposed to leak at one point.

[EDIT]

Maybe try lowering the content process limit:
https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12867-firefox-uses-too-much-memory

As a web search suggests not everyone gets memory leaks in Fx, it may be connected with hardware acceleration, other system drivers/hardware, or specific addons.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:01:16 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2019, 01:51:26 pm »
I'm on the trot right now, Chief. I'll revisit this thread when I get back.

Sent from my Android One Moto X4 using Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2019, 02:23:11 pm »
They made a lot of changes to memory management in Fx 67 .. it's possible they screwed up somewhere :(

[EDIT]

And were too busy with their other recent faux pas to notice ::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:25:14 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2019, 07:15:07 pm »
Got back late, yesterday - just in time to find out about the Zero-Day in Fx. I didn't feel like running around looking for a patched ver, at that late hour - which BTW, I installed this afternoon.

Well that's the very definition of a memory leak.

Correctamundo

Are you still using nightly ?

это не так

And you haven't toggled gfx.webrender.all to true have you ? .. IIRC WebRender was supposed to leak at one point.

Nope. I pretty much leave Fx alone. I just changed a couple of things that made me want to throw a shoe through the monitor.

Maybe try lowering the content process limit:
https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12867-firefox-uses-too-much-memory

As a web search suggests not everyone gets memory leaks in Fx, it may be connected with hardware acceleration, other system drivers/hardware, or specific addons.

Here's the commit, for the Fx update that I just did:

Code: [Select]
Commit Log for Wed Jun 19 15:35:47 2019

firefox (67.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) to 67.0.3+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
firefox-locale-en (67.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) to 67.0.3+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
firefox-locale-ru (67.0.2+build2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) to 67.0.3+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
I'll keep an eye on the update, and see if that helps. Maybe someone was trying to haxor me with the zero-day exploit  ;D

Offline adminmike

• nOOb
  • Linux the best!
    • View Profile
    • Mafia Forever!
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2019, 03:00:02 am »
Why in Pepper Mint will not install the Pale Moon browser by default? It is the best. ::)

I recommend, pay attention - http://www.palemoon.org/
"I believe everyone, but the devil can lure anyone..."

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2019, 04:41:02 am »
(not to mention Opera, but that one is a bit less obvious)

I don't know I've got Opera going and WhatsApp is built in, to get WhatsApp running, all you have to do is follow the instructions and Bobs your Uncle, Fannies your Duck you're up and running messaging away. I use WhatsApp for work, we have our own dedicated encrypted chat. It works here in Peppermint flawlessly. Have not tried the limitless VPN yet though, as my default browser I still use Firefox. Firefox for me is still the most secure browser and plus it's come along leaps and bounds, over the years. Chrome is good and snappy, just fed up of it saving everything and having to always clear it out. My Android phone is the same, forever saving where I've been on the Internet, what I've typed in the search. Let alone having to make sure everything is closed down after use because it'll slow to a halt. As much as I like Android wish it would stay up to date. My poor Samsung Galaxy Young 2 is running 4.4 of Android or something like that, could do with a new phone as the onscreen keyboard is way too small.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:01:10 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:57 am »
Why in Pepper Mint will not install the Pale Moon browser by default? It is the best. ::)

Why? One simple answer is that it's not in the Ubuntu repositories. To install it on Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based system, you have to enable a PPA. PPAs are fine, but PCNetSpec likes to not have a bunch added by default, as they can cause issues. (they usually don't, but it can happen) The only PPA enabled by default is the Peppermint one, which PCNetSpec himself maintains, so he knows exactly what's in there.

Another reason why is that it's not up to PCNetSpec to determine what is the best for others. He prefers to have basic functionality out of the box by installing the tools required to run the OS in Live mode for those who want to test it extensively and those who run it that way without installing it. Other than that, he leaves any other software choices up to the individuals.

I personally think Firefox is the best, I use it wherever I can, even on my mobile phone. So, having Palemoon installed by default would be no less convenient for me than having Firefox is for you. Back when Peppermint came with Chromium by default, one of my first post install steps was to replace it with Firefox.

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:45 am »
Best browser is offcourse Firefox  :P

But Firefox 68 beta I'm not happy with because they changed back the scrollbar from dark to light:

Fx 68: https://i.ibb.co/09YxX1b/Screenshot-2019-06-22-12-11-15.png

Fx 67: https://i.ibb.co/34qw8yK/Screenshot-2019-06-22-12-16-57.png

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:20:13 am by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2019, 08:12:45 am »

Why? One simple answer is that it's not in the Ubuntu repositories. To install it on Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based system, you have to enable a PPA. PPAs are fine, but PCNetSpec likes to not have a bunch added by default, as they can cause issues. (they usually don't, but it can happen) The only PPA enabled by default is the Peppermint one, which PCNetSpec himself maintains, so he knows exactly what's in there.

Another reason why is that it's not up to PCNetSpec to determine what is the best for others. He prefers to have basic functionality out of the box by installing the tools required to run the OS in Live mode for those who want to test it extensively and those who run it that way without installing it. Other than that, he leaves any other software choices up to the individuals.

Precisely this ^^, couldn't have said it better myself :)

I will NEVER add third party repos to Peppermint, and I'm not going to compile palemoon on launchpad every time there's an update .. now if palemoon themselves had a launchpad PPA I could copy it across from for testing that might be different (and I might even add it to ICE), but even then I doubt we'd ever use it as the default.

[EDIT]

Do they even make the source code available .. I can't find it (though I haven't looked very hard).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:14:35 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2019, 10:41:45 am »
Fx mem usage is starting to creep up again...   ::)

I was afraid to leave Fx up n' running, while I was off-premises. Fx has now been running 51 hrs (single window).

'Web Content' is using 2.12 GB and rising, as I type. At some point, it'll go south and eat the whole enchilada.

Machine uptime is 62+ days - bots are running in multiple Chromium windows - all other browsing in Opera.

Took Fx (and company) 1 day to become the #1 mem hog  ;D

I'll keep a close eye on it this weekend. It's either a mem leak in Fx or a runaway process IMO...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:50:13 am by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2019, 10:53:59 am »

Do they even make the source code available .. I can't find it (though I haven't looked very hard).

I think this is supposed to be it:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP