Choose style:

Author Topic: Too many elements from different DE's?  (Read 343 times)

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Too many elements from different DE's?
« on: November 18, 2019, 09:03:52 am »
OK, so I installed deepin to use the deepin file manager and mouse cursor theme. I also installed some KDE to use the Muon package manager and breeze gtk theme. My question is, could mixing so many elements from different DE's lead to problems in the long run? Thanks to all who reply.
You can learn a lot from a dummy (that would be ME).:P

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Too many elements from different DE's?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:05 am »
OK, so I installed deepin to use the deepin file manager and mouse cursor theme. I also installed some KDE to use the Muon package manager and breeze gtk theme. My question is, could mixing so many elements from different DE's lead to problems in the long run? Thanks to all who reply.

Depending on the stuff you have installed and the weight of them actually running I guess. Is this all installed in Peppermint? Did you uninstall any of the original managers, before installing the others?? Usually yes you could run into problems, if you installed these with the existing LXDE/Xfce still installed as Deepin is totally different the mouse theme is OK. I take it you login to Deepin side separately? As in on the login screen you pick Deepin? Problem here though is you'll probably find some Peppermint Apps not work properly, because they were written to run with Nemo and LXDE/Xfce. PCNetSpec will be able to explain better than I and no doubt others can too.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:43:48 am »
Depending on the stuff you have installed and the weight of them actually running I guess. Is this all installed in Peppermint? Did you uninstall any of the original managers, before installing the others?? Usually yes you could run into problems, if you installed these with the existing LXDE/Xfce still installed as Deepin is totally different the mouse theme is OK. I take it you login to Deepin side separately? As in on the login screen you pick Deepin? Problem here though is you'll probably find some Peppermint Apps not work properly, because they were written to run with Nemo and LXDE/Xfce. PCNetSpec will be able to explain better than I and no doubt others can too.  ;D
Yeah, all installed in Pep 10. I never use any other desktop, just the default XFCE/LXDE. Seems to be working fine so far (about an hour) but I just wanted to pick someone's brain. Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:50:13 pm »

Well 'problems/problematic' is a relative term, there are people that see our mixing and matching of DE components as 'problematic' for them (though they never seem to say why), and suggest we should stick with all components from a single DE .. we obviously disagree, seeing modularity as a Linux strength and perfectly in line with historic Linux/FOSS development models.

I've never really understood the "stick to all components from a single DE" stance .. this is NOT the way Linux, including Linux DE's, have historically been developed - take for example LXDE, which was built on top of openbox - or Cinnamon which basically is Gnome redefined with some new components - or MATE which is Gnome 2 with some new components - Elementary, Budgie, and Deepin still basically use Gnomes Nautilus (and probably other components) - there has ALWAYS been a tendency to borrow components in Linux (including in 'DE's'), in fact allowing the sharing of code to prevent the need remake the wheel is the very essence of the FOSS/Linux development model and ethics.

My take is only YOU have the right to define 'problematic' on YOUR system .. so is it causing you problems ?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:04:47 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
Well 'problems/problematic' is a relative term, there are people that see our mixing and matching of DE components as 'problematic' for them (though they never seem to say why), and suggest we should stick with all components from a single DE .. we obviously disagree, seeing modularity as a Linux strength and perfectly in line with historic Linux/FOSS development models.

My take is only YOU have the right to define 'problematic' on YOUR system .. so is it causing you problems ?
So far, no. My only concern is that--and I have experience with this--tinkering around too much sometimes leads to problems. I'll let the forum know if anything goes bust. If you don't hear from me, then all must be well.

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:23:16 pm »
Yeah, all installed in Pep 10. I never use any other desktop, just the default XFCE/LXDE. Seems to be working fine so far (about an hour) but I just wanted to pick someone's brain. Thanks.

Wait, all this on Pep 10 - that's some kind of a Seasonal Best. On the other hand this shows the Power of Linux. Peppermint's success story is based on cherry picking. If all the stuff on your system with its fulfilled dependencies is installed successfully it should work for a while. I am curious.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:38:08 am by esjay »

Offline opiumpoetry

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 01:51:39 pm »
Wait, all this on Pep 10 - that's some kind of a Seasonal Best. On the other hand this shows the Power of Linux. Peppermint's success story is based on cherry picking. If all the stuff on your system with its fulfilled dependencies is installed successfully it should work for a while. I am curious.
Yeah, it works fine. The Deepin file manager, task manager and terminal all use their own window buttons, not the breeze buttons the rest of my programs use, so the look isn't consistent between those 3 and the rest, but it's no biggie.

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »
Yeah, it works fine. The Deepin file manager, task manager and terminal all use their own window buttons, not the breeze buttons the rest of my programs use, so the look isn't consistent between those 3 and the rest, but it's no biggie.
Man, you rock. The whole story rocks. Love to read this and to believe in Linux, a community with lots of passionate people.