Choose style:

Author Topic: What is everyone working on right now?  (Read 15867 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: What is everyone working on right now?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »
If you leave the server market out as most don't require a DE anyway .. I'd say your premise that most are moving towards Wayland is wrong anyway .. the vast majority of Linux distro's are Ubuntu based, and I can't see Canonical/Ubuntu disappearing in a hurry.

Currently the whole "which is better" thing is up in the air .. and "better" includes MUCH more than just "technical merit" ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »
Hello PCNetSpec,

You make a good point.  If Ubuntu's Xubuntu and Lubuntu do not go away, then I know we'll be okay.

At the end of the day, if Xfce and LXDE survive, and if they remain fast, secure, and user-friendly, I know I'll be happy.

I just don't want to lose Xfce or LXDE because of developmental missteps.  If it wasn't for Xfce and LXDE, I doubt I'd be with Linux right now.

And because of Linux' LXDE, I'm using Peppermint at least 90% of the time for my computing and Internet needs.

Looking at things through your paradigm, that Canonical will continue to exist, and therefore we shall as well, is an excellent way to frame and examine the Wayland versus Mir debate.  If any open source company will sort it out, it will most likely be Canonical.

You know, PCNetSpec, I like your paradigm better than mine.  It's so simple.  Just observe, and follow the leader, Canonical, and watch what it does with Wayland and Mir.  This really is the simplest way to figure out what is most likely to come down the pike.

PCNetSpec, I told you before, and I'll tell you again: you should write a book!  Your point is well taken.

Your insight as to how to observe this Wayland/Mir debate just made my life a lot easier.

Thank you,

Good point!

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2014, 08:23:17 am »
Time to pull up a chair and grab some Farley's Rusks and Beer and watch what they do next...  Right Mark???   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:01 am »
Honestly, none of this worries me .. I've seen a lot of things hailed as problems for Linux come and go and Linux survived them all.

The Linux community is as vibrant, diverse, and innovative as ever .. in fact more so ;)

Things people say are negatives (eg. many DE's), I've always seen as Linux positives .. sure some projects will forked, and/or change, and some may even disappear with the devs moving on to other projects .. but that's just how the Linux world  works and it's done us no harm so far :)

Maybe in the long run either Wayland or Mir will fail, but it doesn't really matter .. projects that rely on the failed one will either change to the other, or be replaced by something else that does.

As I said, the fact that Linux projects run off in all directions is a strength not a weakness .. it means that if any direction turns out to be "wrong", there are many other projects that MUST have gone in the "right" diection who's tech (because it's open) can be "appropriated" by forks of failing projects or new ones.

Ya gotta love OSS :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec