Choose style:

Author Topic: What is everyone working on right now?  (Read 15866 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: What is everyone working on right now?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »
Thank you, Emegra,

Right now, in my experience, Peppermint 4 is lightening fast, and is the fastest distro I've ever seen.  Now we just need LTS.

I know so little about this, but this would be like creating a Gnome version of Lubuntu, right?  I believe Ubuntu has just released a Gnome version of Ubuntu, and this is the same idea but on a lighter scale -- very clever!

I can see I understand very little about development, but I'm trying to understand it as well I can conceptually. But you and I seem to both be concerned about practicalities too.  And Emegra, I always ask this question to myself concerning a desktop environment:

Can I put this desktop environment on any senior citizen's computer and have them able to use it right out of the box?

If the answer is "yes", it's a winner.  If the answer is "no", I won't share that desktop with them.  So far the easiest DEs I've seen, and in order are, Peppermint's version of LXDE, Ubuntu's Unity desktop, and then Xubuntu's version of Xfce -- that's my very short list. (I really think it's almost a tie between Peppermint's LXDE and Ubuntu's Unity DE, but I lean towards Peppermint because there's less bloat.)  I thought previously, and quite naively, that Peppermint could just place its very light menu within an Enlightenment desktop environment, and, presto, we have another lightening fast distro to choose from -- but, this time, with all the best menu items Peppermint has to offer.   I thought we'd a larger user base in a jiffy.  Now I know things are not nearly as simple as all that.  From what I can tell, there's an X11 Windowing problem that is emerging over time, and all the Linux developers are trying to figure out what is the best way to go for their particular distributions after X11.

Emegra, your Gnome idea is interesting.  I'm just so new to Linux that I've never used a Gnome DE.  I believe I head Richard Stallman once say that Gnome is dead.  I guess he meant, at the time he said that, that Unity was replacing Gnome for Ubuntu.  But I can see Gnome is very much alive at Ubuntu, and for many people, it's their DE of choice.

Thank you, Emegra.  I didn't know you could do what you did with Lubuntu until right now.  I consider what you did to be very, very clever.

perknh

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:06:13 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 05:34:36 pm »
I can't stand unity, if they never would have went to unity I would still be using ubuntu, that was the reason I went looking for other distros...  Unity is an absolute memory hog, and on older machines i don't recommend ubuntu to anyone anymore....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »
Hello rjm65,

I agree, I was just thinking about ease of use.  I had to remove Ubuntu's 14.04 Unity off of my friend's old Dell 3000 Dimension computer.  It was freezing up all of the time.

And because his computer is not my computer, I replaced Ubuntu with Xubuntu for the time being, under a mutual agreement that I will replace Xubuntu with Peppermint 5 as soon as it is released.

Thank you,
perknh

P.S.

By the way, on a side note, you inspired me to try Firefox again, so I've installed it here in Peppermint 4, but the version I have (version 26) is not the latest version.  I'm looking forward to trying version 29  of Firefox when Peppermint 5 comes out.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 09:07:07 pm »
You can try Firefox 29 (in Peppermint 4) now if you like.

Just download the 12.04.2 .deb (for your architecture) from one of these links:-

32bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_29.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_i386.deb

64bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_29.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_amd64.deb

then double click the .deb to install it.

NOTE -

For me it said it conflicted with the hunspell-en-us package (but that it provides it anyway) so I closed the gdebi window, then uninstalled hunspell-en-us with:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove hunspell-en-us
then double clicked the ,deb to fire up the gdebi installer again .. and it flew on :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:29:52 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: To korekt spellink mistrokes »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 09:10:22 am »
Well that was an unexpected score!    Thank you both very much  -- rjm65 for the idea, and PCNetSpec as to how implement it!  The instillation went exactly as predicted.

Firefox is now becoming,  more and more, user friendly like Chrome, and it is now even better looking than Chrome -- since it was able to pick up my custom coloring I had for Peppermint.  Chrome didn't do this for me when I installed it here.  I wonder if this change will start bring Firefox back again to the many distros that had switched to Chromium because of Chromium's ease of use.  Time will tell.

Now, since I'm one of those guys that can't even spell cat without a k, Would you know if I can get Firefox to automatically underline my misspelled words?  That feature seems to be absent for me anyway.    Also, if possible, I would like to get rid of that top title bar.  It is very attractive, but it does take up some usable space on this laptop.  Do you have any guess as to how to do this?  i looked on the Firefox forum, and online.  All I discovered is that I'm not the only one asking this question.

Thank you very much, PCNetSpec, and rjm65.   This is quite a discovery for me.

:)

perknh

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 09:43:43 am »
First go here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/united-states-english-spellche/
and click the "+ Add to Firefox" button .. then the "Install Now" button.

Now click to reply to this posting.

In the text box (where you'd normally enter your reply) .. right click, and select
Languages > English (United States)

right click again, and make sure
Check Spelling
has a tick next to it.

Now try typing
colour
(British spelling)
and it should have a wavy red line underneat it
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »
Thank you very much, PCNetSpec,

Now I see how this is done.  I'll be using personalized add-ons in Firefox.  Now, when I type your name, PCNetSpec, your name is underlined in red, so I can see that the spell checker is working.

I will begin learning how to use Firefox now.  Until today, I had never taken to it.   Now Firefox seems workable and fun.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:07:42 pm by perknh »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 04:56:09 pm »
So right click PCNetSpec whilst it has a red line underneath and select "Add to Dictionary" .. because that's the correct spelling  :D

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »
[...]  recently I tried Gnome Shell with Lubuntu 14.04 and I have to say I really like it [...]

I originally started using Gnome Shell as a tool to modify/customize the Unity DE. 

After a while, I got involved in Gnome Shell testing, blah, blah, blah.

Truth be told, I "really like it" too...

Never tried installing GS on Peppermint.  Maybe I'll do that, when I have some free time.

I DID install GDM on Peppermint once.  Heh!  Boy, was that a mistake!?!?!  That won't happen again!   ::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:40 am »
I tried putting the E17 shell on our beloved Peppermint.  It didn't work out well for me.  My computer froze,  and things just didn't work as they should have.  It was a very short lived experiment.  Now, I've been following Bodhi, and right now it's in heavy development, but I do believe E19 is going to be a whole different animal, probably because it will be using Wayland compositing agent (it don't know the correct word) for its next stable release --  a release coming in July.

There seem be two general paths in which development is going.  Unity, Gnome, KDE, Arch, and Enlightenment appear to be working with Wayland.

Xfce and LXDE appear to be working with Mir.

Since I'm an end user, and not a developer, I'm a little saddened by this news.  I don't want to lose LXDE, but the reports on Mir is that Mir is a bit of clumsy solution to the problems of X.  I certainly don't claim understand all of the developmental problems within the DE world of Linux.  But what I do know to be true for me is that both LXDE and Xfce are the most user friendly DEs I have found -- without all the bloat found within Unity.  (I do have to admit Unity is user friendly too, but is way, way too bloated.)

LXDE might not be the fastest, or the most beautiful, or have the most bells and whistles., but it has been, so far, the best multipurpose DE I've ever worked with, and Xfce comes in second, only lacking the speed of LXDE, but having a few features that LXDE does not intrinsically support.  LXDE is still extremely fast, and attractive, making it very appealing for most users.  I also has an excellent selection of basic applications that most of us care to use.  This combination of factors makes LXDE a winner in my book.

Could LXDE or Xfce do a turn around and adopt Wayland if Wayland proves more the more efficient compositor?  I hope so.

perknh

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:44 am »
but the reports on Mir is that Mir is a bit of clumsy solution to the problems of X

I'm willing to bet that's coming from Ubuntu haters and/or Wayland fans ;)

and even if it's true, does it necessarily mean anything ? .. I mean Betamax was a superior Tech to VHS, but we all know what happened there .. they're both "means to an end", so as long as they achieve their respective goals, does it matter about arguing which parts of one have technical merit over the other and vice versa ?
(inevitably it'll be "6 of one and half dozen of the other")

Could LXDE or Xfce do a turn around and adopt Wayland if Wayland proves more the more efficient compositor?

Of course they could, though as both's flagship distro are part of the Ubuntu family, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Unless you're a DE developer, the whole Wayland Vs Mir (shall we call it) "debate" is currently just a "my dad can beat up your dad" childish school yard argument .. nobody currently knows which will turn out to be the right direction, so overall technical merit is currently undefinable.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:16:06 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2014, 09:44:12 am »
Well I am not a de developer, however I think our dads should duke it out in the schoolyard, while we sit and watch eating our Farley's Rusks and drinking beer....  LOL   :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:46:49 am by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2014, 10:47:48 am »
Good idea, rjm65.

Make mine an IPA!

;D

perknh

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:49:57 am by perknh »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
Been trying my hand at Python, I have a few ideas for simple childrens games/puzzles  I want to see if I can write them

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »
PCNetSpec,

I got a chance read quite a bit this morning about the two compositors -- Wayland and Mir.  Honesly I can't remember for certain the specific source, or sources, that led of that observation.  I did go into my browser's history, but there was too much for me to ferret out.

But here may be one of the key references from which I drew my conclusion.  As for the choice of the work "clumsy",  I chose that word after reading many articles on both Wayland and Mir.  I take responsibility for the word, because it seemed to summarize what I had read earlier from several other sources.  Maybe it was a bad word to use, I do not know.  Sorry if it was to harsh a word.  My intention was never to be instigatory. 

Here's one link that led me to that conclusion:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM5NDQ

This young bright fellow,  Michael Larabel , always appears to be quite unbiased from what I've read of him.  He' s pretty much a reporter, and seems to let the chips fall where they may.  The general conclusion I've come away from reading lots of material is that the vast majority of distributions are considering Wayland to be better option than Mir for replacing X.   I figure these developers are all smart guys and gals.  More must be going over to Wayland for a reason.

So why could this possibly be important to me as a simple end user?  Well, I just don't want to lose LXDE or Xfce over time.  And if we keep LXDE and Xfce, I would like them to be as topnotch possible, as they are right now.  I keep reading that LXDE is dying, and I believe there is no need for it to do so. I also don't want it to become a poorer quality DE, while the other DEs keep getting better and better.

Another discussion on this subject I found interesting is here, and is from Reddit: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1gzrg1/xfce_lxde_and_gnome_3_running_on_xmir_on_mir/

As for the dads fighting, I knew it was a joke.  And if I must watch this flight play itself out, as an end user while sitting at ring side, I still intend to watch this battle of the minds with an occasional IPA in my hand.

I stand pretty firm when it comes to my choices of beers and ales.  But as for either Wayland or Mir, I'll listen to anything anyone has to say.  I am learning about this stuff.  I admit I'm no expert on the subject, and I am open to new ideas.  Still, from what I can see right now, smart money seems to be going more and more towards the direction of Wayland and less towards Mir -- that's just an observation. 

I don't want to lose LXDE, especially, if in the long run if we end up betting on the wrong horse, or, in this case, the wrong school yard dad.

Thank you.

perknh