Choose style:

Author Topic: Android Go  (Read 4722 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Android Go
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:31 pm »
Google making cheap Android phones support its latest software

By Mark Bergen for BUSINESS REPORT

http://www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/google-making-cheap-android-phones-support-its-latest-software-9203696

&

[EDIT]

How Google's Project Treble will help fix one of Android's oldest problems

By Jerry Hildenbrand for Android Central

https://www.androidcentral.com/project-treblehttps://www.androidcentral.com/

At least for me, Hildenbrand's article has more meat, and fewer potatoes, and does a better job of connecting of the dots! ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:58:11 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Google making cheap Android phones support its latest software
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:24:26 am »
Make one that works with my carrier and we'll talk. 8)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:37 am »
Make one that works with my carrier and we'll talk. 8)

I hear ya, scifidude79!  I hope this policy decision really does go global.  Many of us here, who buy our phones at Walmart and Best Buy, are already in this budget phone market.  Personally, however, I think this is a policy decision that is long overdue. ;)

That Google Pixel is certainly one helluva phone, but (at $650) it's far out of my price range.  The Boost Mobile phone I use cost only 40 bucks.:)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:36:32 am »
I'm not spending hundreds on a phone either.  The LG phone I use on Walmart Family Mobile was only $70.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:35 pm »
My old dumb phone, a Sanyo Innuendo by Kyocera,  is more than sufficient for my needs.  I actually like the dumb phone better.  The monthly bill is less expensive, fewer people pay any attention to it, the call quality is better, it collects less data, and it's easier to tote around.  I've had it with smart phones --three months of using a smart phone was enough for me

Those were famous last words.  I got five or so years out of that old Innuendo, but three days ago I went back to a smartphone.  For $5 more a month I'll now be able to use WhatsApp and talk with family members in Latin America.  Also, Boost Mobile recently closed off its grow data plan, so I needed to squeak myself back into it before being shutout permanently.  Facebook, which now owns WhatsApp, will soon be collecting my personal data. ::)  The price of the Boost's plan is $30 a month with Auto-Reboost ($30.75 with the universal service charge.)

I'm not spending hundreds on a phone either.  The LG phone I use on Walmart Family Mobile was only $70.

My wife and I also have LG smartphones.  I don't know when an Android kernel is considered too old.  My wife's phone is running Marshmallow (2015), but my phone is stuck back at KitKat (2013).  I keep the software on the phones updated, but there's only so much I can do.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:49:50 pm »
I don't know when a phone kernel is too old either.  However, it's technically up to your phone provider to make sure that your system isn't compromised and receives the necessary updates.  After all, it's not like you can just install a different operating system on it without jumping through a lot of hoops.  Does it happen?  I don't know.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:03:52 pm »
A "phone provider" just has to make sure the SIM card is working. Once you buy the phone it's your responsibility, not that there's anything you can do about it,

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:38 am »
A "phone provider" just has to make sure the SIM card is working. Once you buy the phone it's your responsibility, not that there's anything you can do about it,

Hi murraymint.  Our phones are CDMA, so they don't even have SIM cards.  So far, knock on wood, I've had good service with our service provider, so I can't complain yet. ;D

I don't know when a phone kernel is too old either.

The only thing I've ever noticed, scifidude79, is that over time more and more apps from Google's Play Store become incompatible with an older phone.  And, when the apps we use become incompatible with our phones, sooner or later we're pretty much forced to ditch our phones.  I'm hoping this Android Go concept will begin to remedy this problem.  That said, I'm not holding my breath.  If our phones can support them now, we really should be getting regular kernel updates NOW --but then what would happen to budget smartphone sales. ::)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 08:50:23 am »
OK, I suppose scifi meant when you just rent the phone and it's all part of a whole contract deal. I get that, I was just being picky. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 09:08:05 am »
CDMA is a foreign concept over here (I had to "google" it) .. we're 100% GSM/LTE (apparently by European law).
http://uk.pcmag.com/cell-phone-service-providers-products/11593/news/cdma-vs-gsm-whats-the-difference
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:10:38 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »
OK, I suppose scifi meant when you just rent the phone and it's all part of a whole contract deal. I get that, I was just being picky. :)

I own my phone.  I use a no contract service, so I paid for mine out of pocket and I also bought the SIM card.  In the time since I bought it, there have been a number if system updates, so somebody is providing them.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:08:56 pm »
I got one or two updates on mine before they seemed to dry up. I'm just questioning whether they have a responsibility or an obligation to update things after you buy them.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
I got one or two updates on mine before they seemed to dry up. I'm just questioning whether they have a responsibility or an obligation to update things after you buy them.

How can you with a hardware locked device?  The only way to install a new version of Android is to root the device, which most people don't know how to do and it can also turn the device into a brick.  So, I don't see how it's a reasonable expectation that the end user can update it when it's neither easy or quick.  Plus, some people have phones that cost hundreds of dollars (or whatever they're using) and they may not want to risk bricking them.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »
Somehow I doubt if they're "legally" obliged.

Anyway, here's why Android devices rarely (if ever) get updates:
https://www.howtogeek.com/163958/why-do-carriers-delay-updates-for-android-but-not-iphone/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 01:22:13 pm »
I agree, it's not reasonable. Plus the updates can only be done over the internet, so what if you get a security flaw that affects the cellular service, but you can't or don't want to go online?