Choose style:

Author Topic: i3 PeppermintOS  (Read 691 times)

Offline globetrotterdk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
i3 PeppermintOS
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:57:34 am »
I have really been getting into tiling window managers lately - Spectr, bspwm, i3 in particular. I love Peppermint, but on some of my netbooks the system is too heavy and on others I just don't see a need for a DE (Peppermint/hybrid, MATE, XFCE or other). From this came the idea of trying to create something that resembles PeppermintOS, just as minty, but less so. It seemed to me (and others on the forum) that Microwatt (WattOS/Ubuntu 16.04) would be a good base. For my first experiment, I don't need something light as such as I have a lot of relative resource demanding DAWs related stuff installed on a relatively powerful home built tower system. The principle is however, still the same. I don't want to just rice the system, I would like to include PeppermintOS's fonts, prefs, scripts, fonts, themes etc. as well as a similar look and feel  The question is how to do this. I don't like the current PCManFM and some of the other bits... If I copied the PeppermintOS apt sources list, updated and upgraded my system, would that hose it? Most of my choices would reflect PeppermintOS as it is now, just without the extra bits that are needed when you have the PeppermintOS hybrid DE. This is all pretty new to me, so I could use some advice as to whether and how to get started with such a project.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: i3 PeppermintOS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:04 am »
It's a nice idea but Peppermint 8 is in the final testing phase at the moment, so don't expect everyone's full attention to this just yet... ;)

Offline globetrotterdk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
Re: i3 PeppermintOS
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:00 am »
Understood.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:32:34 am by globetrotterdk »