Choose style:

Author Topic: Vunerability in guest sessions on ubuntu... peppermint have the same error?  (Read 259 times)

Offline DARKBOW923

• Peppermint for the win!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit :D
Hi all, i read in a web-newspaper  what ubuntu 16.10, ubuntu 17.04 and other flavors of ubuntu have a vulnerability of the guest session... these vulnerability its only dangerous when a person (non propiertary of tour PC with the vulneravility) can acces with the guest sessions and take all information you have in your PC..
The problem (in the web-nespaper i readed) is the change of upstart to lightGDM.. And this lightGDM is no compatible with systemd..
There are one command what tell you if your OS have this vulnerability.. this is the command:

Code: [Select]
cat /proc/self/attr/current

If your OS have this vulnerability, the terminal show you:

unconfined

If your OS don't have this vulnerability, the terminal show you:

/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-guest-session (enforce)

My question is.. peppermint have the same vulnerability?

Sorry for my bad english, for more information i put a link with the news of this vulnerability:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/ubuntu-guest-sessions-login-disabled

--
Regards.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:46:20 am by DARKBOW923 »
Peppermint 8 in toshiba satellite pro c50-a-1jm its simply fast B)

Online mac

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
My understanding is that this only effects 16.10 and 17.xx.  Since Peppermint is built on 16.04 my guess would be that Peppermint is okay.  I've read nothing to suggest otherwise.    ;)

Thanks for the post. 

cheers

EDIT: As an afterthought, anyone with physical access to your computer could access your files (if not encrypted) using a live session (CD or USB).  I'm just saying...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:05:15 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835