Choose style:

Author Topic: FIT FOR PURPOSE  (Read 6500 times)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
FIT FOR PURPOSE
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:02:03 am »
MMMMM: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39906019

NHS a victim of the massive world-wide hack. "wanna cry or wanna decrypt or wanna whatever"    :(

Usual BS, how the wonderful windoze, needs another plaster, while waiting for the next train crash.    ::)

Lets think about it for a nano second, yep, XP was obsoleted a few years back, with winders urging all and sundry to upgrade to winders 10, its dubious security and spyware included free of charge.   ???

So what is the difference between Volkswagen and Windows. Exhaust emissions or security protocols, both have peddled half truths about their products.    >:(

“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: FIT FOR PURPOSE
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:49:30 am »
They're running Windows XP.  :o That's begging to be hacked.

But, yeah, Windows 10 certainly isn't the solution.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:14:30 am »
The sad part is ... there's no way YOU can escape being hacked, even if YOU aren't a winders user.

Doesn't matter if YOU don't own a computer, and have never used one.  It's the idiots upstream, that put all of YOUR personal information into THEIR unsecure networks.

I've had my identity stolen twice, due to the 'healthcare system' providers and insurance companies -- requiring the filing of police reports and the whole nine yards.  I'm locked down so tightly (self-imposed), I can't even access my own money now, without jumping through hoops.

Nobody cares about how much you weigh, your blood pressure readings, or the meds you take.  The haxors are generally looking for billing information.  That's where the gold is hidden.

This latest 'hack' isn't new.  It involves the kidnapping of your data with a ransom demand.  A co-worker was hit by it last year, while at the workplace -- on his cell phone.

The thing that's so remarkable about this latest exploit is it's ferocity.  It covered the globe in a few hours, and caused untold damages.  Thanks, NSA [and WikiLeaks] !

winders makes a handy scapegoat, but don't be smug and lulled into complacency, just because you're a Linux user.

Really, the whole 'thing' is out of control, and there is no fix, except to shield yourself with a good attorney at a reputable law firm ...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:43:33 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:39 am »
No matter what the press are calling it, t's not a "hack", it's ransomware delivered as an email attachment that 'allegedly' then uses code stolen from the NSA to spread across the network including turning other computers into delivery bots.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:41:05 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:53 am »
Exactly ! 

On second thought, it involves a defacement, so technically it's a hybrid ...   :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:45:21 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:51 am »
I don't normally defend Microsoft, but...

Microsoft apparently patched against it some time ago .. it's not really their fault that large institutions are either still running XP or aren't applying security patches in a timely manner.

If the 'NSA' aspect is true, it should be them that are held responsible.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:43:40 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
I don't normally defend Microsoft, but...

Microsoft apparently patched against it some time ago ..

Er ...

Actually, they patched most of it on Tuesday, when I was in Vegas.  And, there's more patches coming.

But, yes, they've been doing a good job on '10'.

Everything else ...    [see below]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:02:29 am by VinDSL, Reason: Update »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:00:56 am »
Correction ...

Gotta give em' credit, where credit is due.  :)

Microsoft just now released emergency security patches for all of its unsupported version of winders, including winders XP, Vista, winders 8, Server 2003 and 2008 Editions:  https://goo.gl/HMheEt

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:25:29 pm »
Cheers for enlightening me to the correct terminology, guys.   ;)

Apart from the questionable decision to retain ageing hardware/software, it high lights the competence of the bean-counter-in-charge. When most people consider a 10 year car, is only fit for the scrap-yard.   ::)

There have been numerous sticking plasters released in recent months, apparently Google notified M$ about one flaw, that became an issue as they sat on their hands for months, before being forced take retro action. Now emergency patches (https://goo.gl/HMheEt), thanks for sharing VinDSL.    ;)

I except there will never be a 100% escape-proof-prison/defensible-fortification/secure-computer due to man's ingenuity to circumvent and manipulate about anything in this world. That said, overcoming the naivety of most users, about their online habits. Err just look at FaceBook with peoples itinerary on display, a tea-leafs dream (UK slang for burglar), they can pick and choose when to rob them. 

What really ekes me, take my first laptop (a clueless novice), you're brainwashed into buying Norton, Macafee or this brand,  to protect your investment. Now, Microsoft abdicated their responsibility to third party companies to solve their security flaws. As they have positioned themselves as the premier software company in the world, blowing their own trumpet and dictating how hardware should be built to comply with their dubious software. M$ did buy a small security firm and have since slowly improving defender, but this utility been comprised lately.

I become aware of Microsoft shortcomings around 2011, plus found out that 70% of most computer shops, business, is generated by Microsoft updates causing problems, ditto with anniversary-updates.    ;)  Needing to be fixed/repaired/replaced. 

How long would would any other business last.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:34:26 pm by cavy »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
most people consider a 10 year car, is only fit for the scrap-yard.   ::)

I wish you'd told me that 8 months ago, you'd have saved me a motoring nightmare. Seriously, there's no need for that to be the case but I'm never buying a Japanese vehicle again.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »
One surprise in all this; Microsoft is more 'in love' with Linux than ever.

They actually will be offering three Linux distros in their winders store:  https://goo.gl/IEFOmQ

Of course, some of use are already dual-booting winders, but it'll make it easier for the noobs.

The times they are a changin' ...

EDIT

But wait ... I didn't notice this on the first read:

<SNIP>
  • 4. You’ll be able to run one or more distro’s simultaneously if you wish.
<SNIP>
  • You can run more than one distro at a time – great for when you need to work on systems that span different environments
<SNIP>

I don't know if they meant run winders and Linux at the same time, in the same session, or multiple distros at the same time, or simply meant dual-boot, but if they did mean run winders and Linux sessions at the same time - or multiple Linux sessions at the same time, and switch between them, inside winders  ...

I think they one-upped us  ;D

EDIT 2

WSL was always designed to be distro-agnostic and this is the first time we’re exercising this aspect of the system.

Oh, oh !   :o

They're teasing us, Mark.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:48:54 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:39 pm »
These new features will arrive in an up-coming Windows Insider build. If you’d like to be among the first to try-out these new distro’s, be sure to sign-up for the Windows Insider program, and configure your Win10 machine to install fast-ring builds.

I got out of 'insider' last month.

Oh, well, here we go again ...   ::)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 03:42:01 pm »
most people consider a 10 year car, is only fit for the scrap-yard.   ::)

I wish you'd told me that 8 months ago, you'd have saved me a motoring nightmare. Seriously, there's no need for that to be the case but I'm never buying a Japanese vehicle again.

LOL :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to run Linux "inside" Windows .. though I do get the other way around, but isn't that what WINE and VM's are for ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »
Anybody something useful to say about Linux SAMBA shares on a mixed network?  :o
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!