Choose style:

Author Topic: Simple Light Wallpaper Changer for LXDE and Xfce  (Read 1059 times)

Offline DenW

• Linux User - Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 upgrade 64bit
Simple Light Wallpaper Changer for LXDE and Xfce
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »
Although Variety wallpaper changer works well with Peppermint I have been looking for something light and easy to use that just changes my collection of wallpapers on the desktop at regular intervals.  In the latest version of LXLE (I like to Live test all the latest distros!) I came across a program called Paper Changer which is actually XL-wallpaper. If you go to their website http://www.batraciens.net/xl-wallpaper/xl-wallpaper-en.htm there are full instructions for downloading the very small xl-wallpaper.deb file (22.6kb).  Use GDebi to install and then open from Accessories in Peppermint menu.  Then just follow the instructions to select the time between changes (1 - 120 mins), autostart or not, and select directory with wallpapers (subdirectories automatically included).  I put all my wallpapers in ~/Pictures/Wallpapers (including copying the Peppermint collection from  ~/.usr/shares/peppermint/wallpapers).
Works like a charm and recommended.

Offline MrGizmo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 10
Re: Simple Light Wallpaper Changer for LXDE and Xfce
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:47:58 pm »
The program works OK but resizes the images to fit the screen. I would prefer to have the images centered.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:15:23 pm »
Try running:
Code: [Select]
gksudo xed /usr/bin/xl-wallpa-run.sh
find the section
	if [ -f "/usr/bin/nitrogen" ] 			# Si l'application NITROGEN est installée sur le disque, on l'utilise en priorité.
            then
nitrogen --set-zoom-fill "$LIGNE" # redimensionne automatiquement l'image - voir nitrogen --help pour les autres possibilités
    else
and change it to
	if [ -f "/usr/bin/nitrogen" ] 			# Si l'application NITROGEN est installée sur le disque, on l'utilise en priorité.
            then
nitrogen --set-centered "$LIGNE" # redimensionne automatiquement l'image - voir nitrogen --help pour les autres possibilités
    else
SAVE the file.

Try it now
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 09:08:52 pm »
Try running:
gksudo xed /usr/bin/xl-wallpa-run.sh
find the section
            then
nitrogen --set-zoom-fill "$LIGNE" # redimensionne automatiquement l'image - voir nitrogen --help pour les autres possibilités
    else
and change it to
            then
nitrogen --set-centered "$LIGNE" # redimensionne automatiquement l'image - voir nitrogen --help pour les autres possibilités
    else
SAVE the file.

Try it now

On my screen as I'm on my Lenovo Yoga 500 Laptop at work, this works if I change it to scaled, it fits the whole of the screen, rather than a cheap BBC wide screen effect, with black masking tape across the top and bottom of the screen. Remember that sketch from Alas Smith And Jones? Must be on YouTube? Just spent two or so hours trying to find said sketch, but to no avail.  :( But to cheer you up here is what my desktop looks like, with above setting changed to scaled.
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 11:58:30 am »
Maybe, but MrGizmo said:-

I would prefer to have the images centered

Instructions for centered were requested, so instructions for centered was what I responded with :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:02:02 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »
Maybe, but MrGizmo said:-

I would prefer to have the images centered

Instructions for centered were requested, so instructions for centered was what I responded with :)

Yeah I know but I was just saying, that you have the choice of scaled too. Which looks better on my Lenovo, maybe not for everyone, but on my Lenovo, did I mention my Lenovo?  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)