Choose style:

Author Topic: Record my old cassettes  (Read 2463 times)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
Record my old cassettes
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »
Hi fellow pepperminters

Has any one managed to record their old cassette collection...?   ;)

Audacity is in the repos.    ;)   Any tips/pitfalls, to optimise the recording would be most appreciated.    :D

Regards cavy
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Record my old cassettes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:50:56 pm »
I ripped some cassettes for my wife, a year or so ago.  She wanted to listen to them on her Kindle Fire.

I used an old Sony Walkman via a braided 3.5mm male-to-male patch cord, to the AUX port on my PC.  I hate regular ol' stiff vinyl cords for stuff like this.

So, that would be my first recommendation, use a soft, flexible cord:  https://goo.gl/om0PKV  [picked at random]. 

Other than that, just watch the sound levels on the cassettes, as your ripping them.  You're ripping them in realtime anyway.  Sound levels are all over the place on cassettes, depending on who produced them.  When you're done ripping them to MP3s, or whatevs, you don't want to be constantly readjusting the volume during playback.

Can't remember what bitrate I used, but probably 128 Kbps.  That's plenty good for cassettes.

Have fun !   :)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 05:27:49 pm »
Cheers VinDSL   8)

I have an old Sharp cd/cassette system (semi retired now). The pdf manual I downloaded, indicates I can connect to Video or TV via its RCA ports, to channel the volume through the Sharp speakers.   :)

Maybe over thinking things about possible use of the RCA ports..?   ::)  Will have to buy RCA cables first.   ;)

Would the old green sound cable, run from the headphones plug on the cassette player to the blue microphone port on the pc, be of...?

I've only glanced at Audacity, didn't get a good vibe, I could do things with it. What recording device did you use.   :)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 06:08:10 pm »
hi cavy,

You'd need an RCA output but the Video/TV sounds like an input. Is there any pair of RCAs for "AUX OUT" or similar?

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:03:39 pm »
Cheers murraymint

I have ordered a "RCA Cable 3.5mm, iXCC 2RCA to 3.5mm Audio Cable 6 Feet[ Male to Male ] Stereo Splitter Y Cable with Dual Shielded and Gold-Plated Connector for all 3.5mm Aux Cables- Black" from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019D048XC?psc=1

Once it arrives I carry out a shake down test.

Then try overcome my reservations of Audacity.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:27:02 pm »
I have ordered a "RCA Cable 3.5mm, iXCC 2RCA to 3.5mm Audio Cable 6 Feet[ Male to Male ] Stereo Splitter Y Cable with Dual Shielded and Gold-Plated Connector for all 3.5mm Aux Cables- Black" from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019D048XC?psc=1

Nice !  Next recommendation:

Be very careful with those 'bullet' connectors.  They're usually hard to push on, but doable.  I *think* they do this on purpose, so they are NOT easily removed, e.g. won't accidentally fall out of the socket, when you're moving equipment around.

The problem, for me, has been when I try to disconnect high-end cables from low-end RCA sockets.  Sometimes, they take the outer shell with them, especially if the outer shell is only crimped on, or held in place with some bent tabs -- not soldered to a circuit board.

It's always best to twist these plugs, while you're gently removing them from the sockets.  Don't muscle them out.

Just saying ...   ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
Here ya go.  Pic worth 1000 words ...   8)

SOURCE:  https://goo.gl/TcLMAA

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »
Be very careful with those 'bullet' connectors.  They're usually hard to push on, but doable.  I *think* they do this on purpose, so they are NOT easily removed, e.g. won't accidentally fall out of the socket, when you're moving equipment around.

The problem, for me, has been when I try to disconnect high-end cables from low-end RCA sockets.  Sometimes, they take the outer shell with them, especially if the outer shell is only crimped on, or held in place with some bent tabs -- not soldered to a circuit board.

It's always best to twist these plugs, while you're gently removing them from the sockets.  Don't muscle them out.

Just saying ...   ;)

Cheers VinDSL, its those annoying details that ambush ya when you least expect it, to take the gloss of an excellent day, until that moment of "$%^& *£"

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:39:31 am »
Hi cavy

It's definitely doable I did this a while ago using a Neostar tape capture device with Audacity,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-TAPE-TO-DIGITAL-PC-USB-AUDIO-PLAYER-CONVERTER-CASETTE-TO-MP3-CAPTURE-/230822936807?hash=item35be1e80e7:m:mfFssVEoLCQ4OS_xMEyo1pw

The trouble is they're a bit expensive, I got mine at a boot sale for £4 still in the box unused but these bargains don't come around every day

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 06:11:55 am »
WoW !  How cool is that ?!?!

Never knew something like that existed.  Dittos for the term "boot sales" ...  :)

Nice score, Graeme !

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 08:06:47 am »
They're going for a good price on ebay.  Check this out, sorry it's in Dutch.  You'll get the idea though: PORTABLE TAPE TO DIGITAL PC USB AUDIO PLAYER CONVERTER CASETTE TO MP3 CAPTURE  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 10:58:26 am »
@ Graeme
Hi cavy

It's definitely doable I did this a while ago using a Neostar tape capture device with Audacity,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-TAPE-TO-DIGITAL-PC-USB-AUDIO-PLAYER-CONVERTER-CASETTE-TO-MP3-CAPTURE-/230822936807?hash=item35be1e80e7:m:mfFssVEoLCQ4OS_xMEyo1pw

The trouble is they're a bit expensive, I got mine at a boot sale for £4 still in the box unused but these bargains don't come around every day

cheers fella, doubt I will be that lucky, lol

@ VinDSL
Dittos for the term "boot sales" ...  :)

Similar for us Brits, watching US TV/films. "Open the Trunk", err...? When they opened the boot, it became self-evident. Ditto, hood, being the bonnet.

@ AndyInMokum
They're going for a good price on ebay.  Check this out, sorry it's in Dutch.  You'll get the idea though: PORTABLE TAPE TO DIGITAL PC USB AUDIO PLAYER CONVERTER CASETTE TO MP3 CAPTURE  ;).

cheers fella, more money, to shell out, lol

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:49:23 pm »
Cavy,

It's funny how I ran across your post.  I am currently using Audacity to record music from Napster and I also plan to record albums.

In Audacity you can record side one of the tape, pause, record side 2.  Once your recording is done you want to save as an Audacity project so you don't loose anything.  Then under File select 'edit metadata' and for now just add the artist and the album name.  Then at the spaces between songs you can add  the title for each song.  Use the selection tool by clicking between songs then under Tracks you select 'add lablel at selection' and add the song title.  When you have labled all your songs you should save the project again.  Now you can start exporting. 

Select 'Export Multiple' under File.  Select your format, I do 320 MP3's.  (I know, I'll get some remarks about Ogg or FLAC but mp3s suit my needs) Once exporting starts you will get a metadata dialog box for each song.  Fix any tags and hit save.  Once all songs have been saved Audacity will start to convert to your format.  I ran across this process watching some videos on YouTube.  I use to do one song at a time and it took forever.  I find the quality of Audacity is good enough for my needs. 

There are other things you can do, like edit tape hiss or noise but that takes some practice and extends the process.  Back when I just used Windows I recorded albums and tapes I learned how to remove clicks and noise.  It's pretty cool to do and you feel like a master when the sound comes out better than when you recorded it.

Good luck and have fun.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:51:50 pm by stevesveryown »

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:59 pm »
Here's a video from Don't Call Me Lenny.  Most of the tutorials on YouTube are on Windows, Lenny does Linux.  The basics are the same but setting up your audio is different.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 05:44:53 am »
@ stevesveryown

Cheers fella, useful tips. Napster, lol, I thought that was a sub plot of the film: "Italian Job" (the 2003 remake ).