Choose style:

Author Topic: WordPress development Sandbox  (Read 2444 times)

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
WordPress development Sandbox
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:34:01 pm »
Peppermint makes the perfect production desktop for my wetwork coding. More specifically writing bad PHP and murdering a server.
http://www.linuxbookpro.com/my-favorite-wordpress-16-04-setup-guide/

Nothing beats a local sandbox environment to QA test bad code and it's just another thing I can't do on a Chormebook or if the internet goes out  :D

http://www.linuxbookpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Peppermint-sandbox-server-1200x675.jpg

Anyone here do your coding on Peppermint
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:35:53 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: WordPress development Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:10:21 am »
Hi josephd,

Back when I was actively working as an Enterprise Java developer I was doing most of my private development tests on Peppermint. At work, however, we were forced to only use computers on the company's network, supplied by the company and running Windoze>:( We used the Eclipse development platform and main servers were all running Linux. Windoze itself would fairly regularly freeze and require rebooting despite the network M$-certified admins continually updating, repairing, patching, cursing, pulling their hair out, etc. In fact, it was usually necessary about once every couple of months for the admins to wipe your machine completely and to perform a fresh install and reconfiguration.  :D

Pretty unfortunate that the main servers ran Linux but the workstations ran Windoze -- but I think that was the result a contract that had been made by someone higher up who really did not understand the problems, but had the power to impose his ignorance upon the company ...  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:26 am »
Always nice to see Peppermint being used as the OS in a production environment :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:10:15 pm »
@Slim.Fatz,

like you, I must admit that I'm using a standard Windows 7 Dell PC at work (sadly). I don't blame Dell. They've got a 32bit install running on an i7 Haswell and a very slow RPM hard drive.

Who does that? It's like putting a high performance engine in a Geo Metro with bald tires.

My desktop at home running Peppermint is a nearly six year old i5 and it runs circles around this damn thing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:12:47 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 04:19:34 am »
LOL !!  :D :D :D

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 07:50:42 am »
Good god josephd, don't ever make me "google" something like that again ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »
I don't blame Dell.

Who does that? It's like putting a high performance engine in a Geo Metro with bald tires.

Yep, not their fault.  It's the bonehead corporate number-cruncher that ordered it. 

Dell will custom configure machines however YOU wish, even if it doesn't make sense.   ;)

I've been using Dell products exclusively, for a while now.  It's cheaper for me to buy a recently off-lease business machine (usually 3 years-old) and modify it to MY specs.

Generally speaking, I pull the slow HDD before booting the *new* machine, attach a sticky note with the  winders COA and product key on the top, and throw it in the closet.  I don't care about the drive.  The license is worth more than the drive IMO.

Then, I start repurposing the machine for MY intended usage.

Dells makes great business-class rigs.  All the rest meh !

When I'm looking to buy a Dell 'refurb', all I care about is the form factor and GPU.  I'll take care of the build quality.  If I can find an i7 with 2GB RAM, 80GB 5400 RPM HDD, shiz Intel GPU graphics, and no wireless/bluetooth card, all the better [and cheaper].

I'll take a 'Geo Metro with bald tires' and the heart of a lion, every time !    8)

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:55:55 pm »
@VinDSL Next year our work desktops are due for replacement. I may try to buy the machine from our IT department and at that time.

If anything just so I can install Peppermint on it and prove to myself it's not a POS.