Choose style:

Author Topic: Endless Code (the true beauty of free software)  (Read 767 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Endless Code (the true beauty of free software)
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:05 pm »
I'm posting this just out of interest and as a point of discussion

I saw this on The Lunduke Hour in an interview with the developer of Endless OS which is a distro focused on education particularly in third world countries and there's something new they're developing that really impressed me and I'd be curious to know what you guys think

Fast Forward to  00:50:00

Graeme
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:42:36 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Code (the true beauty of free software)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34:04 pm »
The Codeview feature is simple but really interesting (especially if they plan on commenting the code or helping the user to understand the code) it can be a good tutorial for people who want to learn programming and build small projects taking inspiration from those apps. Creating little applications from scratch really helps you understand and learning to code with the featured language + having access to the source code instantly makes the learning process smooth and faster while it gives you an overview of what the application will look like/will be able to do.
i hope this feature will be extended to other distros or can be downloaded when it's out.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Endless Code (the true beauty of free software)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 04:57:02 pm »
So does this mean:-

a) you need to always have the source code installed as well as the application itself for EVERY app, even the ones you're not interested in ?

if so it seems like a waste of disk space to me .. and not something I'd want on an SSD where space is at a premium.

b) that you can actually edit the code and immediately see the effects.

I doubt this very much as it would need recompiling.

So basically they're saying you can look at the source code of an app if you want .. you already can.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding this, the flip thing is a cool looking gimmick, but still a gimmick and probably a wasteful one at that.

It struck me like - "wow that's cool .. oh, hang on".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:59:38 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec