Choose style:

Author Topic: Leaked NSA Hacking Tools Being Used to Hack Thousands of Vulnerable Winders PCs  (Read 796 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Winders 7 and XP dual-booters beware !

Script kiddies and online criminals around the world have reportedly started exploiting NSA hacking tools leaked last weekend to compromise hundreds of thousands of vulnerable Windows computers exposed on the Internet.

While Microsoft has already patched majority of the exploited flaws in affected Windows operating systems, those who have not patched are vulnerable to exploits such as EternalBlue, EternalChampion, EternalSynergy, EternalRomance, EmeraldThread, and EducatedScholar.

SOURCE:  https://goo.gl/yHRgNE

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
If you see this SMB packet within your network, you are in trouble !

Snort rules for EternalBlue detection:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
1. content:"|FF|SMB|32 02 00 00 c0|"; offset:4; depth:9; content:"|52 00|"; distance:21; within:23;
2. content:"|FF|SMB|32 02 00 00 c0|"; offset:4; depth:9; content:"|51 00|"; distance:21; within:23;
3. content:"|FF|SMB|75 00 00 00 00|"; offset:4; depth:9; content:"|40 00|"; distance:21; within:23; flowbits: set, SMB.v1.AndX.MID.64;
4. content:"|FF|SMB|32 00 00 00 00|"; offset:4; depth:9; content:"|41 00|"; distance:21; within:23; flowbits:isset, SMB.v1.AndX.MID.64;
[close]

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Was bound to happen sooner or later .. just turned out to be sooner.....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
LoL !  :D

Yup, the cat's out of the bag now ...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
All the more reason for people to go fully Linux and never look back.

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
All the more reason for people to go fully Linux and never look back.

If that was a personal choice, but a lot of us will be bound to Windows for working etc. Windows has become such a core component in most business areas, even if everything you did on it would be directly published on the internet it would probably take years to get rid of it... And Windows has such a bad reputation in terms of security already, things like that are not going to hurt it noticeable.

The best thing I can think of is VMs getting easier to set up (especially in terms of hardware passthroughs and other special stuff), making Linux easier to use with Windows in a VM. And it seems like there's good progress in that direction 8). Once it's easier to use Linux more people will use it... I think a hard switch away from Windows is not possible, at least in my environment (mechanical engineering) there's way too much based on Windows.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
If that was a personal choice, but a lot of us will be bound to Windows for working etc.

I know.  At least that's a valid reason, unlike the excuses you typically see from people not bound to Windows by their jobs.

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
I had a little success experience there last week, someone wanted a faster laptop, I installed Peppermint (alongside Windows to try it) and it seems like i can remove the Windows. First time someone agreed to try it, most people don't want to see anything non Windows...
Only issue they have is the language. I never realised how bad it is, but half of the buttons are German and the other half is English (They aren't speaking English). Yet they find it easier to use than the Win 8 they had before :D