Author Topic: Article - 11 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows  (Read 2656 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Article - 11 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:49:38 am »
Hi All

The author seems to hit all the right notes. Not that anyone reading this from this forum needs to be told  :P

https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/

I just don't get it when people say "Power Users"  what's one of those ??

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Article - 11 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:47:42 am »
What business people, who don't know anything about computers except Excel, call themselves ...

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:02:31 am »
Reason #12:  More informed users.  Note: I didn't say "better" or "smarter," I said "more informed."  By that, I mean they've done the research and found out that M$ is full of s***, so they went looking for something better and found it in Linux-based operating systems.

Of course, then there's the not so informed, such as the person who made this comment:

No games.
No drivers.
Awful FOSS software.

Windows is better.

Clearly, that person has done his/her research.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:50 am »
I gather Windows 2k, XP Pro, and Server 2003 actually had a default system group called "Power Users" which had more administrative privileges than a regular user but wasn't a full blown "Administrator".
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771990(v=ws.11).aspx
(apparently the group still exists on some newer versions of Windows, but now doesn't give any more privileges than a regular user)

So **if** the term came from there (and it may not have), I'd assume a "power user" in the truest sense would be someone a system admin trusts a bit more than a regular user because he/she's shown some advanced knowledge of the system.

Anything else seems meaningless without a definition.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:12:07 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:47:44 am »
I always thought power users were the ones wielding the Sword of Grayskull.

"I have the power!"

;)

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:14 am »
All the reasons for using Linux in that article are perfectly legitimate and probably cover most if not all of the reasons we on this forum use Linux in fact other than software availability I can't think of one advantage Windows has over Linux but none of that is good enough for the average Windows user

Why ?
because Linux isn't Windows and the vast majority of people are Windows users who don't really understand computers or want to understand them and moving to Linux would involve them having to think & learn something new, the minute they come across something that doesn't work the way Windows works they'll just switch off and say "This Linux is shit"

has anyone tried explaining to a Windows user package management, to all of us it's simplicity itself but in my experience it's utterly pointless they just can't grasp it, I can't tell you how many times I've introduced someone to Linux only to find sometime later Windows .exe files in their Downloads folder

As for the ethical questions, they just don't give a f@@k, understanding the difference between free and non free software involves more thinking and that just wont do, if you can keep their attention long enough to explain to them the liberties Microsoft is taking with their privacy they'll just say "that's just the way it is" or "Well I've got nothing to hide", They can't understand they're helping create a surveillance state and it's our children and grand children who will suffer most because of their complacency

I used to be an eager advocate of Linux and install it on anybodys PC/Laptop I can believing they would see what I see but the reality is most don't because in order to see the real beauty of Linux and all the advantages it has over Windows you have to be prepared to open your eyes, you have to be prepared to listen, you have to be prepared to learn and you have to be prepared to think, sadly for most that's just too much effort.

Graeme
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:50:56 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
+1,000,000,000,000
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DARKBOW923

• All linux problem have solutions.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64 bit :D
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:41 pm »
I think the OS are according to the needs of the people who need specific programs or specifice function who in other OS are unabaible.
There aren't a reason to use linux and no use windows, its all in the needs who has the people.
Bye!
Now with new machine! Medion AKOYA intel core i3 7100 3mb caché 7th gen, 4GB RAM DDR4 Intel HD Graphics 630 1TB HDD space.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »
Not sure that's true in most cases .. the vast majority of Windows (and any other OS) users require nothing more than a web browser and possibly a basic word processor, image editor, and printer.

The vast majority don't NEED "Microsoft Office" or "Adobe Photoshop", LibreOffice and GIMP would suffice (indeed still be way beyond their basic needs) .. the vast majority wouldn't even own Office or Photoshop if it weren't for pirated versions.

Sure there are usage case where Window (because of some Windows only software) is a necessity .. but for Joe Average it is not.

Joe Average uses Windows because it's what he learned on and he can't be bothered to relearn, heck he didn't enjoy learning Windows but he was forced to by social pressure, necessity, or school.

There **ARE** greater moral and social issues at stake here though .. I'm not saying "use Linux" for the sake of Linux .. use BSD if you want, but stop just accepting a slow erosion of your (and your children's future) rights simply for a video of a cat chasing a laser pointer and a quick go on Farmville (or whatever the latest twaddle is) .. both of which you could actually do on Linux.

The proof that MOST people don't NEED Windows for their day to day computing task has already been proven by their moving in droves to iOS and Android (not that they're much better) .. something else that was said could never happen because of their Windows reliance, and yet.....

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »
My least favorite whine from Windows users is the "no games an drivers" bit.  There have been drivers for ages and gaming has really improved the past several years.  There are a LOT of Linux compatible games now.  There would be more, but game developers aren't being forced to port their games.  Why?  Because ignorant morons are happy sticking with a piece of crap OS just for game compatibility.  There are lots of people using Windows just for games and Linux for other stuff.  Stop doing that!  Let the game companies know we need more Linux compatible games.

The drivers thing is really idiotic Microsoft FUD. ::) Driver support is Linux is great, most hardware works OOTB.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »
11 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows

I'll give you just one:- the community .. nuff sed :)

We bicker, we moan, slate each others distro choice, we fork at the drop of a hat (and I don't just mean software), we get all political over idiotic stuff such as package management, but GENERALLY we get on because we realise that all the differing opinions are genuinely heart felt .. it's never dull in Linux Land :))

You just never got that with Windows, you used to get it with say AmigaOS, TOS, and to a lesser (and slightly warped) degree MacOS, heck you even got it around MS DOS and things like CP/M, OS2 Warp, Acorn MOS .. but Windows never seemed to have that, any sense of community was always via something that ran on it, some job you did with it, or maybe something it was running on, but there was never a sense of "community" around Windows itself.
(at least that was my personal experience .. YMMV)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:45:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec