Choose style:

Author Topic: I want to use peppermint as portable usb linux os.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
I want to use peppermint as portable usb linux os.
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:19:50 pm »
I tried to use your distro as a portable live usb linux system and really like what i saw, unfortunately even if i created a persistent casper-rw file with lili changes arent persistent, why?, is it because my usb stick is in fat32?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: I want to use peppermint as portable usb linux os.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:45 pm »
No, for a "Live" USB with persistence it NEEDS to be FAT32.

Which OS are you using to create the LiveUSB ?

If you're using Windows, then try using Unetbootin following the following instructions:-

Download the Windows version of Unetbootin from here:
https://unetbootin.github.io/

Install it, and open it...

Now be aware Unetbootin doesn't currently have a working profile for Peppermint 7 but the Lubuntu 16.04_Live profile works perfectly with Peppermint 7, so set the Unetbootin Distribution profile to:-
Distribution: Lubuntu ~ Version: 16.04_Live
then point it at a Peppermint 7 ISO image you've previously downloaded from our main website.

Set the persistence file size to your preferred size (3072MB in the example picture above .. remembering there is a 4GB limit)

Then after clicking the "OK" button give it some time .. during the file copy stage it will "appear" to hang around the 70% mark, this is normal, during the persistence file creation stage it will appear to hang at 100% again this is normal, just wait and it will finish ;)

If you're using an Ubuntu based Linux distribution to create the LiveUSB .. instead see the instructions here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5076.msg50704.html#msg50704
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:20:51 am »
Wow that was fast. Thanks for the prompt answer, ill give it a try tommorow even if using unet was rarely a success for me.

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:32 am »
Persistence seem to be working, thanks!

But cannot install locales.

<failed to download package file, check your internet connection>, im connected, if i werent i wouldnt be able to send this...

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-locale-fr_50.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_i386.deb 404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]

I did a sudo apt-get update.

Ill reboot to see if everything is now change to the choosen locale.

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
French locales not working, uninstalled english and installed french, still in english everywhere.

Looked at synaptic package-manager and fr packs seem to be installed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:29:14 am by kerplunk »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
You might want to try a full "proper" install to the USB stick rather than a "Live" USB.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »
No, i want a portable usb stick linux os. I tried multiple distro and they're all english by default. Am i the only one on earth who want this?

Maybe i could do a full install on a usb stick, then make it all french and then create a bootable usb stick os with it?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:08:18 pm »
What makes you think a "proper" full installation to a USB stick wouldn't be portable ?

As long as you don't manually install any proprietary drivers (which the system won't do automatically) it will still be portable .. This is not Windows, you can take the hard drive out of a Linux PC an put it into another and it will just work ;)
(a full proper install to a USB stick would be no different)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:23:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:34 pm »
Really, well i'd be damned! Nobody ever told me that, neither did i realized that! Really glad and happy you told me so, i'll do a full install tonite or tommorow and i hope everything will be in french. Thank you very much, i'll keep you posted on this!

Offline kerplunk

• nOOb
  • Unlucky linux newbie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »
Cannot install on a fat 32 partition, the installer says that it need to be at least a ext2 partition. Creating a partition is easy and simple BUT last time i did that there were a fat32 partiton and ext (linux) partition on the usb stick/hdd and windows wanst able to access the usb stick, each time i tried to access the usb stick in windows i was asked to format the key.

I know that i can install something in windows to be able to read ext/2/3/4 partition but i want that the usb stick to accessible on every type of computer/os possible without having to install anything.

Maybe i should explain why i want to do this. I have a collection of windows portable apps on the stick and want also to have a portable os on it so i could use the stick in every possible scenario, be it for file recovery or simply having my os everywhere i go...

What can i do about that?

Thanks again for your support.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »
Nothing .. the / partition (AFAIK) needs to be a Linux file system (because Windows file systems don't support ownership/permissions).

Why does it need to be readable from Windows ?

Note - Any changes to a persistent LiveUSB was never going to be readable from a Windows PC (or indeed easily from a Linux PC) as the persistence file is not easily mounted outside of the live environment (and contains a Linux file system anyway).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:15 am »
Yes you need to use ext2 at least ideally ext4 since FAT32 has no permissions capabilities.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline reme

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:22:12 pm »
Not sure if you're still looking for an answer, but here is a solution that can work for you. when installing on a usb stick, create an additional partition on it whatever size you need to store your portable applications, and format it as ntfs or fat32. Then that partition can be read and written to from either the linux os if booted from it, or a Windows installation .