Choose style:

Author Topic: Acer Aspire One 150 A0A ZG5  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Acer Aspire One 150 A0A ZG5
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »
I installed Peppermint 5 on a Acer Aspire One 150 A0A ZG5.

As I  am new to Linux and Peppermint 5 (but using Windows over almost 20 years)  installing Peppermint on my netbook was quit easy. I need to learn a lot of  new  Linux things in the near future, but already found my way through Peppermint5 quiet fast.

My hardware:
Code: [Select]
System:    	Host: Poseidon Kernel: 3.13.0-29-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Five
Machine:    System: Acer product: AOA150 version: 1
                  Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3310 date: 10/06/2008
CPU:        Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
            Clock Speeds: 1: 1333.00 MHz 2: 1066.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
          X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
            GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:    Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-29-generic
Network:    Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
          IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:23:8b:29:07:f3
          Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
          IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:23:4e:49:e8:6e
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (2.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1652GS size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 146G used: 3.4G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:    System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 124 Uptime: 11:16 Memory: 199.8/988.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

Install issues:
Before installing I had some issues with creation of the bootable USBdrive. First failure was that I used a NTFS formatted USBdrive. I got error during boot of the Acer that the Bootmanager could not be find. Switching to Fat32 formatting solved that issue.

Second problem was the use of UNetbootin for creation of the bootable USBdrive. Every time I tried to boot the Acer with the USBdrive created with UNetbootin the the netbook returned the copyright message of Syslinux: 'SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al_'. Nothing happened. No bootmenu, nothing!
After a lot of re-creations of the USBdrive (with UNetbootin) and hours searching for solutions (I found a lot of people have this problem with versions of Ubuntu too on different hardware) I found the solution:

I switched to the bootable USBdrive creation software named 'Rufus'. I created the USB drive with default settings and formatting enabled. This solved  the Copyright issue, and I finally could boot the Acer netbook. First in Live mode, and later the installation of Peppermint succeeded without any problems.

Most of hardware runs OK. Only I do not know yet how to get the webcam working. I assume there will be a package anywhere which I can use to get the webcam working.

Some questions I have:
1.) Does someone know how I get this webcam working?
2.) I want to install MS Skype for Linux. On my Acer netbook. But the packages I found on the Skype website are for Ubuntu 12.04. So is it possible to install that package on Peppermint5 (Ubuntu 14.04)?
3.) I did not changed any preferences to the Software Updater. When I run System Tools/Software Updater it search end present me with a list of 'Security updates' and 'Other updates'. I assume that I can these updates safely without ruin my Peppermint installation. Is this correct.
4.) On my Windows laptop I'm running Anti Virus software, Anti Malware software and a Firewall. How do other Peppermint users protect their system? Which package should I use?
5.) And of course I'm really interested in, and loking forward to the updated Peppermint5 tutorial of Mark Greaves for the Acer Aspire One ZG5 (150 A0A). Containing fixes for batterylife, stopping the fan from being constantly on etc.

Thanks in advance for answers!

Best regards,
Klipper

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Acer Aspire One 150 A0A ZG5
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »
Some questions I have:

apt install cheese

2.) I want to install MS Skype for Linux. On my Acer netbook. But the packages I found on the Skype website are for Ubuntu 12.04. So is it possible to install that package on Peppermint5 (Ubuntu 14.04)?

Don't do that.....instead, enable Canonical Partners

menu > Preferences > Software and Updates > Other Software (tab)

scroll down to find "Canonical Partners" and tick it (check mark in box)

Select Close and you will be given the option to reload....do so

Open your terminal and enter...
apt update && apt install skype

3.) I did not changed any preferences to the Software Updater. When I run System Tools/Software Updater it search end present me with a list of 'Security updates' and 'Other updates'. I assume that I can these updates safely without ruin my Peppermint installation. Is this correct.

99% sure you can.  However, I would, instead(and just be on the safe side), open a terminal and run...
apt update && apt upgrade

4.) On my Windows laptop I'm running Anti Virus software, Anti Malware software and a Firewall. How do other Peppermint users protect their system? Which package should I use?
Linux / P5 requires no anti-virus software

5.) And of course I'm really interested in, and loking forward to the updated Peppermint5 tutorial of Mark Greaves for the Acer Aspire One ZG5 (150 A0A). Containing fixes for batterylife, stopping the fan from being constantly on etc.

Can't help you with that one.
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AviJ

• nOOb
  • New Forum User (but not new to Linux)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »

Hi, Klipper. I just recently installed Peppermint 5 on my own Aspire One, and it runs like a charm. Here are my solutions to your issues. I don't guarantee that they're the best, but they're great for me.

1. I installed VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc). Then I created the following text file using Text Editor, and saved it as /home/{my username}/.local/share/applications under the name of webcam.desktop :

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Test Webcam
Comment=Display Webcam on VLC
Icon=/home/avi/Icons/webcam_icon.jpg
Exec=vlc v4l2:///dev/video0
NoDisplay=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=AudioVideo;
StartupNotify=false
NoDisplay=false

Note that the Icon line refers to a specific icon which I placed in a folder called Icons under my home folder.

It is then available as a menu option under "Sound & Video." I personally have my most-used apps set up as Application Launcher icons in my upper panel, and Test Webcam is one of them -- but that's a question you didn't ask.

2. I installed the Skype package for Ubuntu 12.04 on Peppermint 5, and it runs great. I personally like this newer release (4.3) better than the one that is on the Canonical Partners repository (4.2). New features in this release are listed here.

3. I agree with mac's response.

4. I have been using Linux for over a decade (started with Fedora, switched to Ubuntu, and now have Mint MATE running on my faster machines and Peppermint 5 on my slower ones), and have never needed virus or malware software. It's just not a problem in the Linux world.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:41:02 pm by AviJ »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:59:19 am »
The CORRECT way to install Skype is as mac mentioned .. enable the "Partner" repository.

Skype will then be available in your package manager(s) / Software Manager ;)
(it will also receive updates .. installing it any other way is not only risky, but it won't get automatically updated)

I'll do a rewrite of the AA1/Peppermint tutorial for Peppermint 5 as soon as I have a bit of free time :)
(I'm running PM5 on my AA1 right now .. just need to get round to writing it all down)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:04:12 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »
Thanks very much for all reactions! I've solved some problems now. :)

@mac
1.) Installing cheese solved my webcam issue. Working OK now!
2.) I installed Skype the way you suggested and it's working correct, including video and audio connection. Only not the latest Skype for Linux version.
3.) I did some updates using the terminal cli and I also tested the software updater. All worked like a charm. No issues. Only one system-reboot was necessary.
Thanks again mac for your solutions!

@AviJ
I already installed cheese successfully before I read your suggestion, even VLC was already installed :) (I use VLC on windows too). So my webcam problem is completely solved. Works in Skype too!

For me as a longtime window user I'm really surprised you all don't use/need Anti Virus/Malware software and Firewalls. It makes live on computer a bit easier... 8)

@PCNetSpec
1.) Question about Skype-update: Currently version 4.2.0.11 has been installed. I assume now the update to version4.3.0.37 will automatically  come with the software updater via Canonical Partners. But how much time will it normally take before Canonical Partners serves new updates like the one from Skype?
2.) I read you own a Acer Aspire One ZG5 110 AA1, but I own the 150 A0A. Are there essential differences between these devices concerning the fixes you talk about and will be in your new P5 tutorial?

Another 2 question I have:
1.) In the system-tray of the desktop I find two different icons for the same task: xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0, a horizontal laying battery indicating current batteryload, and another icon from which i don't understand the function. Both icons have the same rightmouse-menu, but only the first one has a tooltip with the state of the battery. Any suggestions?

2.) I found the way how to resize the desktop-icons to a smaller size (preferences filemanager), but is there a way to change the grid height and width, so I can get some more icons concentrated on my desktop?

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »
Thanks again mac for your solutions!
You're more than welcome!
Can you post a screenshot of your desktop showing the icons you refer to to which you refer?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:23:33 pm by mac »
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »
@mac
Partial screencapture of the systemtray of my desktop:

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:45:18 pm »
@PCNetSpec
1.) Question about Skype-update: Currently version 4.2.0.11 has been installed. I assume now the update to version4.3.0.37 will automatically  come with the software updater via Canonical Partners. But how much time will it normally take before Canonical Partners serves new updates like the one from Skype?
2.) I read you own a Acer Aspire One ZG5 110 AA1, but I own the 150 A0A. Are there essential differences between these devices concerning the fixes you talk about and will be in your new P5 tutorial

1) Dunno, it may* never get updated, or it may be tomorrow .. but what does 4.3 bring to the table that 4.2 doesn't have ?
if it's something worthwhile I suppose I could write a tutorial for installing directly from the Skype site.

2) All fixes apply to both the AOA110 and AOA150 .. at least they have up to this point, and I can see no reason why that would change :)
in fact the fix for the continually running fan, applies more to the AOA150 than the SSD model .. but benefits both.

2.) I read you own a Acer Aspire One ZG5 110 AA1, but I own the 150 A0A. Are there essential differences between these devices concerning the fixes you talk about and will be in your new P5 tutorial?

I thought spacing adjusted itself automatically with icon size (unless you'd selected "Stick to current position" for a particular icon).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 01:50:50 pm »
Klipper,
This will sound weird but if you're using a usb wireless mouse unplug it and see if the second icon  disappears.
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
As mac suggests .. apparently upower 9.23 has support for telling you how wireless keyboard and mice batteries are doing (for supported devices) but they haven't gotten around to updating xfce4-power-manager with the options to configure it yet.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10327
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:07:05 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »
@mac
This will sound weird but if you're using a usb wireless mouse unplug it and see if the second icon  disappears.
This is indeed very weird, but you are right. Unplugging the USB receiver of the wireless mouse indeed removes the right icon from tray, and shows again when plugging in the USBreceiver.

From the remarks of @PCNetSpec I understand that this issue can't be solved without an update of the xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0. The good news I read at Xfce Bugzilla Bug 10327, that there is a fix already in the git-master, so I assume the fix will arrive automatically with the Peppermint updates (Software updater). I'll wait patiently!  ;)

About Skype 4.3, I'll wait too for updates.

About the icon-grid on desktop: I found I can place the icons nearer to each other except, there's a left-margin on the desktop I cannot get smaller.

@PCNetSpec
Are the fixes for " the continually running fan" and the "batteryfix" in Peppermint5  identical  to the fixes you described in your PM4 tutorial?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »
Continually running fan - NO, acerhdf will already be installed and it works properly with the 3.13 kernel, so all you need to do now is run:
sudo -i
then
touch /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf
then
echo "options acerhdf interval=5 fanon=60000 fanoff=55000 kernelmode=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf
then
modprobe -r acerhdf
then
modprobe acerhdf
then
exit
to configure it.

Battery life - YES, same fix, just install TLP as in the Peppermint 4 tutorial here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6049&start=10

Any more tweaks you'll have to wait for ( I still need to test them) .. although some are already applied by default in Peppermint 5 such as PulseAudio which is now installed by default :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:38 pm »
@PCNetSpec
Thank you very much for these tweaks. I succeeded with both tweaks. The noisy continually running fan has been tamed now, and "TLP power save = enabled" will be returned from the TLP stats even after reboot! Excellent!  :)

For now I will patiently waiting for the other tweaks!  ;)

You really give great support! Thanks again.