Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5  (Read 18333 times)

Offline ronj1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5/32 bit
Re: Peppermint 5
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 11:23:18 am »
OK .. all>  at the risk of getting flamed, and in the spirit of non-hijacking informational exchange, I am trying screenlet .. seems to be a bit more user friendly for me, and conky seemed to crash, and did not show in my menu as well.
rej

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:15 am »
Hi Ron

Beware of screenlets some of them can be very heavy on resources or at least that was my experience consequently I never use them now

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 11:29:00 am »
Conky won't show in the menu .. it's a command line system monitor that you extend any way you like with scripts and other external programmes

Only GUI (graphical) apps show in the menu .. and although conky usually ends up displaying something to screen, it has no graphical user interface so is a command line application.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:39:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline ronj1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 11:33:17 am »
Thank you Gentlemen,

Will watch how any desired and/or set up 'lets drains my resources, and why conky is outside the menu.
rej

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
Hi ronj1950 how’s it going?  Conky is a command line interface, (CLI) programme. Only programmes with a graphical user interface, (GUI) show up in the menu system.  I have done some digging around and found something that may interest you. It is called Conky Manager: http://www.teejeetech.in/p/conky-manager.html.  This is an easy way to setup preconfigured Conky instances. After installion it does show up in the menu system, menu/Accessories/Conky Manager. It is not in the repositories but it can be downloaded as a Deb from the site. Don’t try to use the PPA because it doesn't work.  In the website, scroll down to the paragraph that says, “For other Debian systems the DEB package can be download from LaunchPad.net".  Click on the link and when the new page opens find the line that reads, "conky-manager 1.2.0.1",  You want the one for Precise.  Dowload the Deb and open it by  double clicking on the downloaded folder. Follow the in installation instruction.  Don't forget to install the Deluxe Conky Theme Pack by Jesse Avalos (24 MB).  This give you a load more Conky instances. You can find the link in the website.  I find making my own Conky instances more fun but I think this is a good alternative. I hope this helps.  Have fun  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline ronj1950

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »
Hey Andy,

Oooo .. yea .. thanks .. I am going to re-visit conky now with your links as assistance.  Screenlets so so .. most likely end up uninstalling that and go with conky .. seems more flexible, and with your links, more manageable for the likes of me.
rej

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 06:13:48 pm »
Glad to help.  Along with VinDSL's excellent tutorial, you should check out this thread from the Crunchbang forums.  Crunchbangers are Conky crazy.  They already have 103 pages on just this one Conky thread.  There is always something interesting going on there.  http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=59.   ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2014, 07:18:37 pm »
Oh God, another potential Conky addict.  DON'T DO IT!  You've been warned!  ;D!!

I ALWAYS give fair warning about Conky.

Seems like it doesn't really sink in until they're  waking themselves up at 2 AM, because they figured some  algo in their sleep.  LoL   :P

Ok, back on topic PLZ...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:23:21 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Refocus the thread »