Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5  (Read 18071 times)

Offline Degsy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32 Bit
Peppermint 5
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:47:04 pm »
I am currently using Peppermint 4, 64 bit and just wanted to be sure about the following: when Peppermint 5 is released will I be able to "upgrade" or will I have to download the new version and start from scratch? Your help with this would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

Degsy
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:22:35 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: Undo rename after topic move »

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: Peppermint 5
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:16:36 pm »
Peppermint versions typically release in May or June of each year due to them being based on the April release of Ubuntu. As such, Peppermint Five will follow this particular trend.

Because Peppermint Five will be based on the LTS package base, it will be strongly recommended that fresh installations be performed as opposed to any attempts to upgrade. We will try and publish some form of guide to help ease the pain as much as possible. For the most part it simply involves backing up data to an external source, getting a list of installed software, and saving some configuration files.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline TonyB

• I'm right by the ocean in sunny KZN, South Africa
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:57 pm »
Is it too late (or too early) for a "wish list" for Peppermint 5 ?
- not that I can think of anything right now, but I've noticed that others are much more imaginative than me.

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »
You're always welcome to make suggestions. Typically if the suggestion is popular among the mods and fits in with the overall direction of the project then I'll consider implementing it.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Offline TonyB

• I'm right by the ocean in sunny KZN, South Africa
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
Thanks for that very prompt reply, Kendall.

And, more importantly, thank you for Peppermint OS.

Cheers,
Tony B

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:33:03 pm »
You're quite welcome.

Offline Degsy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »
Many thanks for your response which was pretty much the answer I expected, am I right in thinking that Peppermint 5 will be  an LTS release?

Degsy

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »
As Peppermint release annually, Peppermint odd number releases are always based on an Ubuntu LTS

Peppermint 5 will be based upon the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release, and considering it gets 99% of its software packages directly from the Ubuntu repositories, 99% of it will receive updates for the full 5 year life cycle of the 14.04 release.

However, the 1% that's in the Peppermint specific repository will only receive updates until Peppermint 6 is released.

That said there is usually little in the Peppermint specific repository besides some artwork, Peppermint specific configuration files, and any bugfixes for the Peppermint configs .. by the time Peppermint is a year old any bugs in the Peppermint specific stuff have usually all been ironed out.

So in short - Though technically Peppermint odd number releases can't be called full LTS's, in reality they can usually be treated as such.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Degsy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:40:30 am »
Many thanks, PCNetSpec, that has explained the situation clearly, looking forward to Peppermint5.

Degsy

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:13:20 pm »
So essentially If we install Peppermint 5, we should be good to go until the next LTS is released two years later....  ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:33:46 pm »
I'm still running P3 on a test machine.....no problems.  It's still a good, solid OS.   :)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:34:53 pm »
Quote from: rjm65
So essentially If we install Peppermint 5, we should be good to go until the next LTS is released two years later....

Unless Ubuntu release an update that somehow conflicts with the Peppermint configuration then "sure".
(that's highly unlikely BTW .. as mac says, Peppermint 3 is still going just fine)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:37:25 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
That is all I run on machines is Peppermint 3, I had some issues with my old boxes and peppermint4, but as I said on the old board you had me download and try the lubuntu 14.04 daily build and it works fantastic on all the old boxes...  So I assume that means Peppermint 5 is gonna rock out...

The lubuntu still has yet to fix the boot splash screens, but everything else works that should work.... what I find funny is other distros the boot screen works, yet on lubuntu i get a black screen till about 5 seconds before the desktop, at which time i get a lubuntu boot screen, then poof its gone, then the desktop is there...
you would think if they can get it to display for the last 5 seconds of the boot up, they can get it to work for the first 30 seconds... LOL   
If it was reversed and it worked for 30 seconds, then went black for 5 seconds, i don't think anyone would mind as much...  LOL   :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:11:04 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:29:37 am »
what I find funny is other distros the boot screen works, yet on lubuntu i get a black screen till about 5 seconds before the desktop, at which time i get a lubuntu boot screen, then poof its gone, then the desktop is there...

Peppermint Four behaves in much the same way on most of the hardware configurations I've tried. The issue is upstream somewhere but not critical enough that anyone here has made a point to try and track it down.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:52 am »
Peppermint Four behaves in much the same way on most of the hardware configurations I've tried. The issue is upstream somewhere but not critical enough that anyone here has made a point to try and track it down.

See what I find odd is LXLE which is built from the 12.04 LTS their boot screen works fine... However every other build I have tried that is made from 12.04 LTS the boot screen fails...  Now I read that you are saying this also happens in Peppermint 4, and I tried the new lubuntu 14.04 daily build and that still does it as well...  Makes me wonder what LXLE did to get theirs working???
 I can tell you this much I have two towers here that a guy gave me and he asked me to install LXLE on them both for him, cause that is the build he prefers... What I found interesting was the one tower after install had the normal boot up splash screen, it is like a grayish screen with black logo LXLE in center with a little spinner icon beneath it..  The other machine after install was totally different it had 3 loader bars chasing each other on a black screen with no logo, but at least you could see the 3 bars loading up.... I'm wondering how they determine what screen to use during install, cause the machines were not that much different, both AMD processors one was a 1800 one a 2400 both used on board video...  just seemed weird to me cause I was taught to edit grub file, and add commands here and there to get text on the black screen, but I looked at their grub files and nothing special was in there, so the problem of the boot up screens must be somewhere else...  :-"
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40