Choose style:

Author Topic: This looks tempting....(USB3 wifi)  (Read 728 times)

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
This looks tempting....(USB3 wifi)
« on: April 06, 2017, 05:42:55 am »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: This looks tempting....(USB3 wifi)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:52:25 am »
It's only going to give you faster wireless when used in conjunction with an "AC" router.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:52:51 am »
It's only going to give you faster wireless when used in conjunction with an "AC" router.

Thanks for that.  I'd never heard of AC router, but very pleased to discover that mine is one!

My laptop wireless sometimes drops out for no good reason, so this looks like a good option for stable connection.  I'm just very sceptical about how easy it will be to get the thing working :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:24:01 am »
Okay then, whilst I can't currently tell you if the drivers from their site will compile against the 4.4 kernel in Peppermint 7 (their website suggests they will), I **CAN** tell you they DO NOT compile against the 4.8 kernel series (I just tried), and the 4.8 series or later will be used in Peppermint 8.

So unless their are some open source drivers about (which I don't know one way or the other) you'll have problems with distros that use a kernel later than 4.4

I personally wouldn't run out to buy one of these before doing some homework first on the possible availability of an open source driver, or a patch floating around for their drivers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:26:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec