Choose style:

Author Topic: Well Well Well  (Read 2675 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Well Well Well
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:28:15 pm »
Though that was an unexpected bombshell I wasn't really that bothered about what they were doing with Unity anyway .. what would have been the BIGGER news is them dropping Mir, which reading between the lines means they'd likely be pouring that effort into Wayland

Linux needs a "single effort" for an Xorg replacement, and Mir was never going to be it even if it turned out to be better than Wayland .. I'm hopeful Ubuntu will take back their rightful place helping to drive this single effort rather than the fragmentation and duplication of effort Mir was causing .. I'm normally a fan of multiple options, but replacing Xorg is just too big of a job, it needs a single cross community push with input from everyone.

The article you linked to mentions they're dropping Mir .. but if you follow the link to the actual announcement there's no mention of dropping Mir.

That said, it makes sense that they'd also drop Mir and pick up Wayland because that would (I presume) make the shift to Gnome much easier as that work has already been done (see Fedora).

If this is real, and not just Shuttleworth getting his April dates mixed up, this is probably great news .. Ubuntu might just get the community back behind them .. I'll await more info as it comes out with interest :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:37:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:02 pm »
G3 FTW !   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:59 pm »
If the competition is only Unity, then yeah I'm with you on that.

But they REALLY need to stop dumbing the UI down, and get rid of that stupid look that was born out of "client side decorations"

Wonder what this means for the Ubuntu Gnome team ?

Ubuntu Gnome is also the lowest ranked of all the buntu's on DW (65th compared to our 27th), after Ubuntu Unity (3rd), the next highest buntu is Ubuntu MATE (16th) .. so I wonder how smart of a decision this really is ???
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:43:13 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:40 pm »
...Ubuntu Gnome is also the lowest ranked of all the buntu's on DW (65th compared to our 27th), after Ubuntu Unity (3rd), the next highest buntu is Ubuntu MATE (16th) .. so I wonder how smart of a decision this really is ???

They'll migrate to Xubuntu, or Kubuntu.  The really smart ones, will jump ship and sign up with Peppermint  :P.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:09:10 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Oops ! »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »
Since Unity is G3 + Compiz, all they need to do is dump Compiz.

Simple pimple !    ;D

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »
The really smart ones, will jump ship and sign up with Peppermint  :P.

Hear !  Hear !   :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »
If I had to guess, I'd say the majority will go full circle and return to Gnome 2.x (Ubuntu MATE) .. though I'm still not convinced MATE is viable in the long term.

What I'd really like to see is Xfce and LXDE get some more development, they're both terrific DE's and could be so much more if they were just brought up to date a bit .. but then I'm obviously a little biased :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »
I agree, I've used Ubuntu MATE and it's good.  You'll get no argument from me there.  Martin Wimpress has done an excellent job.  However, for me, MATE feels antiquated.  I like a bit of nostalgia but things have moved on from the Gnome 2 days.  For instance compare the MATE menu to the Whisker Menu.   There's no comparison in my book  ;).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:32:32 pm »
I wonder if some of the Unity lovers develop a community Ubuntu Unity release  :P.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
LOL :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:19 pm »
Meh, Gnome 3 sucks too.  Honestly, I hate that phone/tablet "bring all your programs up at once with GIANT icons thing for desktops.  ::)  It works for 10.1 inch screens and smaller (OK, maybe 11 inches) but it looks horrid on a 20 inch monitor and way worse on a 32-inch TV.  ::)

I'd like to see the Gnome project shift back to a more conventional style desktop for Gnome 4, but I doubt they will, even though projects like Cinnamon and MATE are more popular.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 12:20:54 am »
Er ...

I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to wager that it'll be G3, e.g. DisUnity

Gnome Website:  https://goo.gl/e0TXS2

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 05:26:54 am »
Sensible move.  From miles and miles ahead, Ubuntu has gradually siumped down in popularity and is now just about 4th on distro watch.  That would have been unthinkable about 6/7 years ago.

I think G3 is underrated and feels modern and intuitive.  The Ubuntu Gnome release is good but feels soulless as there's no community or themes etc.   I think this could prove to be a popular release that could reverse the decline of what used to be a widely cherished distro.  As somebody with lots of native apps installed, I'm better off with a proper menu like whisker.   

Gnome is a great option for people who have less need to plough through menus.   But it doesn't have ICE.    If I could improve ICE, I'd want native support for G3 / docks so that the correct favicon shows

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 07:00:12 am »
I think G3 is underrated and feels modern and intuitive.

True !

I've been running GS [Gnome Shell] for years.  I'm also a former member of the Ubu GS Staging Team.  Only time I use Unity is for testing purposes.  I'll be glad to see it gone.

Only reason I dropped off the team was because Jeremy was incarcerated (for a couple of years), and I didn't want to work under Tim ... but, I digress.

There's a learning curve involved with G3, but once you get used to it, you can move around, e.g. do your work, incredibly fast -- or, intuitively, as you put it.

Think 'touch typing', where a touch typist knows the location on the keyboard through muscle memory.

That's how G3 works, after you use it for awhile, your cursor magically starts moving around the screen(s) through motor memory.

Anyway, my bet is on G3, and it will be for the better !   ;)