Choose style:

Author Topic: SSD Optimization  (Read 1634 times)

Offline siawacsh

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
SSD Optimization
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:00 pm »
Hello, I have just migrated from Mint 18.1 because I was experiencing many nvidia related issues. Long story. I promise to read all the FAQs and tutorials in due course. I just need help to get up and running.

One of the mint senior forum guys kept saying FSTAB must be updated with noatime. Plus hibernization must be disabled.  I tried to disable hibernization on Peppermint but it could not do it. It seems there is no hibernization on this system.

I also tried to edit FSTAB with noatime such as this. But it broke the system. I could not get back into graphical mode. Had to reinstall. Can some advise. Is there any need to do any of this anymore?

Code: [Select]

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=2ee5ab84-c7be-4cd2-ba2f-d73b6b8a9a98 /               ext3   discard,noatime,commit=600 errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=0d804cc0-9083-42e8-a0a3-f229c72fab18 /home           ext3   discard,noatime,commit=600                   0       2
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=de9dd3d6-196c-4477-af08-3e2a3dea2b4a none            swap,discard
sw              0       0

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: SSD Optimization
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:24:30 am »
Hi slawacsh,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I have two SSD's in my machine and I don't bother with either discard or noatime.  My understanding is they may have been a good idea back in the very early days of SSD's but newer SSD's are much more robust.   There are a number of threads scattered around the forum regarding SSD optimisation

Example >>>  https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3571.msg35674.html#msg35674

Hope this helps :)

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:33:04 am »
Hi siawacsh, how's it going?  Why are you using ext3 with your SSD instead of ext4?  As you've only just installed Peppermint 7, I strongly advise you reinstall using the ext4 file system.  The ext3 file system is slower and is basically obsolete.  It's not recommended to use it with an SSD.  The Hibernation feature has been turned off in Ubuntu for quite some time.  It's also turned off in Peppermint 7 by default.  The following link provides an excellent walkthrough to set up your SSD.  I use it as a guide when setting up all my machines.  It's never given me any issues: SSD: how to optimize your Solid State Drive for Linux Mint 18.1, Ubuntu 16.04 and DebianPeppermint 7 is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

After you've reinstalled Peppermint 7 using the ext4 file system.  Please post back the outputs from the following terminal commands:
inxi -Fz
followed by:
sudo fdisk -l
and
sudo blkid
and finally
cat /etc/fstab
If you use the, quick and easy method of installation.  The Ubiquity installer will format your partitions automatically to ext4 and automagically install Peppermint 7.

Note: DO NOT use this method if you're dual booting with another operating system, such as Windows.

After we receive this information, we'll be in a better position to provide assistance.  Good luck with it and have fun  ;).

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please left click the Code: [Select] function to highlight the line of code.  This is located above the command on the far left side.  Use the right mouse button and select: Copy from the menu.  With your mouse cursor inside the active terminal window.  Paste the contents by clicking the right mouse button and selecting: Paste from the menu.  For Chromium Browser and Google Chrome users.  There’s no need to copy, just highlight the line of code with the Code: [Select] function.  With your mouse cursor inside the active terminal window, simply click on the centre mouse button/wheel to paste the contents ;).

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.   There’s NO indication of any user input.  By default "sudo" doesn't echo ANYTHING to screen (not even ******).  This way, anyone looking over your shoulder doesn't even get to see the length of your password.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the command you’re trying to execute.

I almost forgot, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's nice to meet you 8).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:16:37 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:30:18 am »
Yep, I'd have chosen EXT4 (which would probably get rid of the "commit=600" option), I'd not have used the "discard" option (instead moving "fstrim" from /etc/cron.weekly to /etc/cron.daily) .. and the "noatime" option should just work.

That said, modern SSD's have very large write cycle limits and firmware that's very good at wear levelling (specially where you overprovision) so now often outlast HDD's .. these optimisations are now nowhere near as important as they used to be.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:35:20 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:51:33 am »
also, take a look at this.  Bit technical but the last 2 minutes are most meaningful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XZNr7mS0iw&feature=youtu.be

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080