Choose style:

Author Topic: Dangers of the internet  (Read 1733 times)

Offline PeppermintKelley

• New to Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
Re: Dangers of the internet
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 01:21:25 pm »
This is one of many sites on the subject: http://www.tech-faq.com/127-0-0-1.html hopefully it will confuse to enlighten you, as did with me many years ago  ::)

If you have used an RPM based distro, you may have notice they do not name the computer as we do in Peppermint or most Debian based distros.   ;)

In your terminal, for example take my terminal I'm "anthony@tower ~ $" On a 192.168.0.0 internet address, whereas RPM use "anthony@localhost ]#" reflecting the 127.0.0.1 internet address.    :D

Thanks!
Former Linux Mint user who has made the switch to Peppermint 7.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »
127.0.0.1 is the network loopback adapter aka. "localhost" .. it allows the computer to talk to itself via network protocols, allowing client software to talk to server software on the same computer.

eg. Your Peppermint desktop is currently running a CUPS server on port 631 .. if you want to access it, in a web browser go to either
localhost:631
or
127.0.0.1:631
Which are really the same thing (because your hosts file sets the hostname localhost to resolve to 127.0.0.1).

So when you access the CUPS web interface, your browser is a "client", accessing the CUPS "server" via http (TCP/IP) on the same PC.

it's a way for applications that communicate via network protocols to talk to each other on the same PC.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:45:39 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PeppermintKelley

• New to Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 08:04:16 am »
Thank you PCNetSpec for enlightening me.  :)
Former Linux Mint user who has made the switch to Peppermint 7.