Choose style:

Author Topic: OMG ! I Feel So Dirty !!!  (Read 8576 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
Re: OMG ! I Feel So Dirty !!!
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 06:10:34 am »
Hi

To be honest - No idea - but these peeps do  :P

https://www.howtogeek.com/278132/whats-new-in-windows-10s-creators-update/

For me, the speed increase alone is worth it.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 06:18:34 am »
Okay cheers Zeb :)

On a side note - here's a pic from your link, which for a split-second I thought contained the words "APRIL Fools" :))

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 06:25:26 am »
 :D :D :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 07:24:18 am »
What's new in the "Creators Update" ? .. anything interesting ? .. worthwhile ?

Asking because I'm about to update a PC on a stick from 8.1 to 10 for my son.
(and also wondering if I should bother updating my dual boot partition)

I've pretty much worked my way through the dirty feelings, but I can't stand to read winders articles on winders sites, so I don't know, for sure.  I haven't lowered myself that far.  ;)

Basically, to my way of thinking, it's mostly spit n' polish, but there are some new features.

The biggest 'feature' to me is, it doesn't set off bells n' whistles in IT departments, when I do a guest login into their networks.  Linux sort of sticks out, like a sore thumb, in the corporate world.

I didn't make any adjustments to my partitions.  On the original '10' install, I resized the winders partition to make it smaller - much smaller.  All I use '10' for is their office suite [nothing emulates Office better than Office itself] , Kodi (audio over HDMI and multiple display setup is less painful than in Linux], and now the Opera browser [for the free unlimited VPN feature].

Creator runs fast and smooth for me.  Makes a perfect companion to Peppermint IMO -- the best of all possible worlds.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:21:35 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 07:44:46 am »
I'm not knocking it's usage when it suits .. I have a Win10 partition (though rarely used .. probably the reason behind my "update" woes).

Just wondered if it was worth doing now .. as opposed to having it chucked down my throat in the future and finding I'm not able to reboot for 3 hours :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2017, 08:58:31 pm »
I've been starting '10' [almost] ever day, at work.  New toy, you know ?  I have a limited amount of time for lunch - when I do eat lunch.  LoL !

I start '10' - login - check for updates [there have been a lot of cumulative updates in 'Creator'] - watch a 1/2 hour sitcom [22 min actual runtime] on Kodi while eating - then  logoff and go back to my work.

I do all of this in 30 minute-ish period of time.

I read, somewhere, that 'Creator' is going to be using smaller, incremental updates, much like Ubu, rather than holding them back, and doing it once a month, or whatever they do now.  It's supposed to be easier on the servers, easier, faster, and more convenient for the users, and so forth.

Oh, here's a new feature for you ... I guess.  Picked at random:  https://goo.gl/FnZO9y

Evidently the old '10' had a habit of requiring a reboot, at the most inopportune times.  'Creator' allows you to set the times that YOU allow automated updates/reboots .  I allow it between 3 PM - 9 PM.  The rest of the time, I do it manually.

You could set 'Creator' to auto update & restart while you're asleep ...   ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 12:02:10 pm »
LOL .. so a "new feature" is really just adding back something you earlier removed (in the Anniversary edition update) ?

Great advertising technique .. purposely break something, then when people complain big yourself up as listening and caring :D

Hey I'm gonna push a package that removes something minor then immediately adds it back, call it the "Peppermint Enhancement Pack" and wait for the praise :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 12:31:34 pm »
Hey I'm gonna push a package that removes something minor then immediately adds it back, call it the "Peppermint Enhancement Pack" and wait for the praise :))

Now, you got the idea !

How to make millennials  love you -- the microsoft way ...   :D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 06:40:20 am »
For the record ...

I booted into 'Creator' yesterday, and there was a 'dist-upgrade' [if you will] waiting to be installed, so I put a movie on, started my stopwatch, and hit 'Yes'.

2 hours, 2 minutes [and multiple reboots] later, 'Windows 10 Pro Build 16170.rs.prerelease.170331-1532' was installed.

And, if the reports are correct, the 'final upgrade' will be available tomorrow 11-Apr-2017, on 'Patch Tuesday'.  LoL !   :D

I understand your consternation, Mark ...

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 10:07:38 am »
Yeah Windows updates are insanely slow .. I'd be tempted to think it was a bandwidth problem with all the data they're collecting swamping their pipeline(s), but they were equally slow before Win10.

I do gather Windows does a lot of system checking before it downloads updates to (supposedly) check you get the right ones .. but damn they're slow and as far as win10 goes you'd think they already had your system info anyway.

They could solve my personal (main) gripe with a simple "do you want to apply the updates upon this shutdown, or save them till the next shutdown" option which would allow me to reboot into Linux quickly and apply the updates only when **I'm** ready .. but I guess they feel they know what I want/need better than I.
(or their update system sucks is technically incapable of such an option)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:13:14 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 10:14:56 am »
Not to mention, it also takes forever to actually install the crap after it's downloaded, which has nothing to do with bandwidth.  Then it has to reboot and continue installation, which takes even longer, and during which the network adapter isn't even on.  So, yeah, something else is going on in regards to the slowness of their updates.  I think someone could (on a separate computer, of course) try a Linux live OS, decide they like it well enough to install it, install it and do post-installation stuff like updating, all while Windows is downloading and installing updates.  ::)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:25 am »
Oh you can .. I know :)

BTW, updated a "PC on a stick" from Win8.1 to Win10 the other day (thought I'd get it in whilst still free) .. took all day and half the night, literally.

That may be ridiculously slow but I can live with it, I'd "intended" to do the (up?)grade so it was my choice .. what narks me is when it refuses to shutdown for ages because of an update it downloaded in the background without asking me, so I can't reboot into Linux (usually when I'm in a hurry).

You have to wonder how many working hours are wasted globally each week because of these unexpected hour(+) long reboot sequences ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:36:21 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:22 am »
You have to wonder how many working hours are wasted globally each week because of these unexpected hour(+) long reboot sequences ::)

Bb..bbb...but it's the best OS on the planet.   ???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :))

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 11:14:52 am »

I bet Microsoft now know the answer, but I also bet they don't release **that** info ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
This should be interesting ...  ;D

I decided to get out of the Insider's Program, while the gettin's good.

It had already upgraded me past the Fast ring 'Creators Update', to the first part of the 'Redstone 3' eval.  LoL !  No thanks !

First thing I did was revert to ver 1703, build 15063.14 - which gave me a couple of blue screens -- first ones I've seen in '10', BTW.

Seems to have recovered okay.  Now, it's installing the final release. 

We'll see how long this takes.  Started at 4:30 PM local ...  ::) 

EDIT

Took about 30 min.  Not bad ...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:17:27 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »