Choose style:

Author Topic: Senate votes to let ISPs sell your Web browsing history to advertisers  (Read 5991 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Senate votes to let ISPs sell your Web browsing history to advertisers
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 02:33:16 pm »
I have a (semi-rhetorical) question about the topic title .. would this include allowing Microsoft to sell user data gathered by Windows telemetry ?

If so, I can see them serious butting heads with the EU data protection laws.

Or is it limited to US ISP's
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
People are misunderstanding this ... as usual  8)

Under the [dis]guise of net neutrality, Obama and company reclassified broadband carriers as 'common carries', which they aren't, and switched authority from the FTC to the FCC.

What the Senate did was move authority back to the FTC, where it belongs.

This is as good an explanation as any, if one wants to spend a few hours following the bouncing ball:    https://goo.gl/9sbEAS

Sadly, ppl prefer to rely on fake news sites, and social media pundits ...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 03:50:08 pm »
Okay that may have clarified things, but as I'm lazy and can't be *rsed to check .. does this mean they can't sell your history/data ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »
I have a (semi-rhetorical) question about the topic title .. would this include allowing Microsoft to sell user data gathered by Windows telemetry ?
Doesn't even need to be included since the famous new M$ EULA... where they state they may share "anonymous" data with their "partners"!

@ VinDSL : I don't get the part about fake news... Doesn't that still mean that ISP's can share your data?
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 05:12:12 pm »
I hate this new "fake news" label .. there's just accurate verifiable news and hearsay/bullsh*t.

There's nothing "new" here .. there's always been the Sunday Sport drivel .. it's PEOPLE that have become more gullible.

Oh my god .. Ant and Dec have been killed :o
(or is that  :D)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:15:31 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Okay, let's run with that ...   ;D

First of all, the FCC privacy framework we're talking about has never taken effect.  Oh, the fake news sites didn't tell you that ?

Now, let's read the text of S. J. Res. 34  https://goo.gl/6mEYUZ  How does compare to the hysteria you've been reading ?

You can't lose something you never had.  The FCC rule wasn't scheduled to be in effect until December, 2017. 

If Trump signs the bill, which is expected, authority remains in the FTC's privacy framework, where it belongs, and puts the ISPs on equal footing with other major data-collecting companies like Google or Facebook.

Basically, the bill does away with the Obama-era Net Neutrality bullshiz, and it also prevents the FCC from setting similar rules again.

If you want to run around in circles with your hair on fire, have at it ...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:17:20 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »
I give up .. American law/regulations makes no sense to me procedurally.

Agreed !  Unless you deal with it all the time, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Once you get a handle on it, it's rather tasty.   ;D

"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made."  ~ Otto von Bismarck

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 06:39:53 pm »
**** .. accidentally removed my last post :-[

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
Slow down your mouse sensitivity, maybe ?  LoL !   :D

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 06:55:46 pm »
You can't lose something you never had.  The FCC rule wasn't scheduled to be in effect until October, 2017. 

Interesting point of view...

:-X

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:05 pm »
@VinDSL, you're not saying that you are okay with ISPs selliing our traffic information freely without our approval are you?
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 12:28:40 am »
It all depends on the user agreement.  Usually, it's all or nothing, but users always have the right to say 'No', and take their internet business elsewhere.

If ppl are stupid enough to blindly click 'Yes' without reading an agreement, then ... oh, well.

Example:  I was looking at the apps installed by default on '10'.  One of them was a game called Cookie Crunch or whatevs.  I clicked it, just to see what would happen, and ... by Question #2 in the agreement, I could see that you had to allow them access to all your personal data, including all your contacts, and so forth.  I quickly uninstalled it.

I've read that many of these free games haxor into other apps, since the user agreed to allow it, and if you uninstall the game, the other apps will start crashing, because they can't 'phone home', and so forth.

Would I prefer that the FTC handle investigations and enforcement of such things ?  'Yes'

Am I in favor of Net Neutrality, under the authority of the FCC ? 'No'

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 06:21:05 am »
Example:  I was looking at the apps installed by default on '10'.  One of them was a game called Cookie Crunch or whatevs.  I clicked it, just to see what would happen, and ... by Question #2 in the agreement, I could see that you had to allow them access to all your personal data, including all your contacts, and so forth.  I quickly uninstalled it.
Moot point since you said "yes" to the almighty M$ EULA... by simply installing Windows 10...

You see, that's the whole problem. If every ISP (or other service) includes such policies, you have nowhere to run!
No internet, no OS, no software and no hardware without the "yes"!  ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 01:15:36 pm »
Yes, it's usually 'all or nothing'.  But, look, this is all organic ...

It didn't do any good to have two frameworks, did it ?  One for broadband ISPs (FCC) and another for Facebook, Google, Yahoo, etc. (FTC).

Now, before you lament the end of your internet privacy — take a deep breath, and keep reading.  I do this shiz for a living.   8)

Those FCC rules never actually went into effect, meaning technically, Tuesday’s measure doesn’t change anything. The rules to protect customer data were passed in October of last year but wouldn’t have taken effect until December 2017.

Tuesday’s measure does create some wrinkles in the debate over consumer privacy in the rapidly growing IoT.  Namely, the measure blocks the FCC not only from implementing the 2016 rules, but pursuing others like them.

The Obama-era bill was passed in October 2016, but lawmakers took advantage of the Congressional Review Act, a rare procedural move that permits lawmakers to reconfigure any regulation they disagree with.

ISPs pushed back against privacy regulations. Their issue: Sites like Facebook and Google are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and are therefore governed by regulations that do not force them to obtain customer consent before collecting and selling personal data

It was already technically legal for ISPs to sell your data, but they were holding off on doing it while they waited to see if the laws went into effect or not.  Now, they don’t have to wait anymore.  Even under the would-be privacy rules, which now appear doomed, ISPs would not have been required to get opt-in consent for other bits of personal information like email addresses.

Even if the measure is signed into law, the FCC still reviews privacy cases involving customer privacy on the Internet.  However, because the resolution uses the CRA, the FCC would be outlawed from creating similar privacy regulations if the repeal is signed by Trump.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said:
“The FCC will work with the FTC to ensure that consumers’ online privacy is protected through a consistent and comprehensive framework. In my view, the best way to achieve that result would be to return jurisdiction over broadband providers’ privacy practices to the FTC, with its decades of experience and expertise in this area.”

Republican Sen. John Thune also said, he’s open to passing additional privacy protections in order to reach a legislative compromise on net neutrality “if that were something that it took to get Democrats to the table.”

Let’s be honest -- Whether you know it or not, your internet privacy has already been jeopardized at some point.

Some ISPs do offer some sort of getaway from their targeted advertising, as noted in The Verge, but you'll have to dig around within a company’s linear notes in order to find protections for yourself.

Bottom line:  If and when Trump signs the bill, the FCC will still be able to regulate ISPs' privacy policies using Title II, Section 222 of the Communications Act. Those regulations are less stringent than the Obama-era regulations, however, and do not cover web-browsing or app-usage data.