Choose style:

Author Topic: Creating a multi bootable USB pendrive.(SOLVED)  (Read 742 times)

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: Creating a multi bootable USB pendrive.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 05:05:35 am »
alynur, I hope this method works for you. I, too, tried other things first: I followed a tutorial that recommended first partitioning the USB drive using GParted, then putting different operating systems on separate partitions using UNetbootin. This sounds reasonable on paper, but somehow didn't work for me. I looked into other applications like Multisystem and Easyboot too. After wasting an unduly large amount of time on all this, I got MultibootUSB and it seemed to do the job. I think I had to remove all the partitions I'd made first, but the application did the job after that. I put Peppermint and SystemRescueCD on that USB drive, and have successfully run live sessions in both. I also installed Peppermint on my main computer using that drive.

Good luck.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a multi bootable USB pendrive.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:47 am »
alynur, I hope this method works for you. I, too, tried other things first: I followed a tutorial that recommended first partitioning the USB drive using GParted, then putting different operating systems on separate partitions using UNetbootin. This sounds reasonable on paper, but somehow didn't work for me. I looked into other applications like Multisystem and Easyboot too. After wasting an unduly large amount of time on all this, I got MultibootUSB and it seemed to do the job. I think I had to remove all the partitions I'd made first, but the application did the job after that. I put Peppermint and SystemRescueCD on that USB drive, and have successfully run live sessions in both. I also installed Peppermint on my main computer using that drive.

Good luck.

Hi N, I finally got around to purchasing another pendrive and attempted to create a multiboot using MultibootUSB and it worked great. Of the seven distros I installed on it, only LXLE wouldn't boot. I might try uninstalling it and reinstalling it to see if it will boot. But as far as making a multiboot usb pen, I'm calling this as solved. Thanks N, great help.  :)

Edited:
When attempting to boot LXLE, this message would continue to cycle
vesamenu.c32: not a COM 32R image
typing "live" and pressing enter would boot the iso. So all is well!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:36:53 pm by alynur »

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a multi bootable USB pendrive.(SOLVED)
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:23 am »
alynur, good to know this worked for you! How about installing different distributions from the multiboot USB? Does that work correctly? I've only used this tool once, and for only two iso files out of which I installed one once. Perhaps you could share your more extensive experience here? That might be helpful for anyone else who wants to try multiboot USB drives.

On a different note, this is rather a useful functionality, it would be great to have an application for this in the repositories.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:53:23 am by N »