Author Topic: How to install hplip for HP Printers  (Read 4429 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
How to install hplip for HP Printers
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:16:19 am »
Hewlett Packard are well known for the excellent Linux support they provide for their printers/scanners.  Hewlett Packard have provided a piece of software called hplip to facilitate the installation and set up.  This is found in the repository and very easy to install.

Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window:

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install hplip hplip-guiHit enter.  Enter your user password when asked and hit enter.  Follow the on screen instructions.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

You are able to find the, HPLIP Toolbox by navigating to: menu > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox.  Make sure your printer/scanner is connected to your computer and turned on.  You will be able to configure your printer/scanner from here.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:49:46 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline N4RPS

• Newly Subscribed
  • Knows Just Enough Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Re: How to install hplip for HP Printers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 05:56:36 pm »
Hello!

Thank you for your tutorial.

I have an HP LaserJet Pro p1102w wireless printer. I just thought I'd mention that after installing hplip-gui,  hplip-gui didn't seem to like my root password. I had to type

Code: [Select]
sudo hp-setup
To pull in the needed plugin from HP to finish the installation.

If anyone has a had a problem getting Bluetooth to work in Peppermint, let me know, and I can post the procedure we put together on the Linux Lite forum to get it going. This may sound off-topic, but some HP printers also use Bluetooth (but not mine)...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:03:42 pm by N4RPS »

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 06:38:44 am »
I have a HP Photosmart 5525 and the printing part I'v got working through the normal "Printers" setup in System Tools.

The scanner didn't work, installing "hplip-gui" from Software Manager did the trick.

Thanks for this tutorial!  8)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:55 pm »
Sometime after installing hplip when you run hp-doctor command in terminal if it gives given below error.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

Then follow this link http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3015.msg29859.html#msg29859

Sometime when user run hp-plugin in terminal it gives below error or stuck or not able to download plugin automatically.

it prompted with mine user
but now it's stucked at
`Firmware download to device failed.
hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP1NYYC`

You can download plugin directly from given below link.
https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/

HP Linux imaging and printing frequent ask questions.
http://hplipopensource.com/node/93

I hope it will be useful for other users in forum.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
Just went to print on my wifi HP Deskjet 3630 and got a "printer may not be connected" error and no printout.

I found the solution here:

-opened Firefox and accessed CUPS through http://localhost:631
-In "Administration" (root privileges) I chose "Add Printer" and selected the HP-LaserJet-1300 NOT using HPLIP.

Worked right away! Doing the same and choosing the HPLIP printer resulted to a printer that did not work.

That fixed the issue for me too. Strange, when I installed this printer a few weeks ago it was working.