Author Topic: Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics  (Read 1407 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »
Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics To Force Windows 10 Migrations

by Brittany Goetting for HotHardware

http://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-apparently-ramping-up-heavy-handed-tactics-to-force-windows-10-migrations#XobKBhlfvqrcooGw.9

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” --Emma Lazarus from New Colossus

There's nothing new about heavy-handed tactics from Microsoft.  Linux, in general, and Peppermint, in particular, always welcomes a mass exodus from Windows. :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:09:57 pm »
LoL !  winders users ...

With the exception of Vista, which I actually liked and still use on one of my laptops, I skipped everything between Win2K Pro - '10' Pro.

I H-A-T-E winders 7 !   Never seen winders 8, in the wild.  Not sure it even existed.

As much as I hate to say it, '10' has been delightful, for mobile usage, on my new lappy.

The mullet heads just need to suck it up, and get with the program.   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:39:09 pm »
Really ? .. AGAIN, I switched to Win10 for 2 minutes and ended up having to wait just short of 30 minutes for it to shut down again :o

Amongst other things, Win10 updates are frikkin nutz...

The UI is totally inconsistent...

The menu is an unholy mess...

and they bury settings all over the place.
(there's plenty of other things, but that'll do for now)

I'm far from a Windows fan, but on the whole I've been able to live with the occasional use when a job calls for it .. I HATE Win10 with a vengeance, I disliked Vista and even ME less (and believe me I didn't like those).

Only 98SE, XP, and 7 were "liveable" with (in their day) .. the rest blow chunks.
(and I've no mullet)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:43:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »
The mullet heads just need to suck it up, and get with the program.   :D

Sorry, VinDSL, but now it's my turn.  By the way, you just inspired me to open a can of Bumblebee Fish Steaks.  In other words, I consider this discussion to be healthy. ;D 

I admit it's fun to keep an eye on Windows.  I pay little attention to Apple, but I sure like to keep an eye on Windows.  Speaking only for myself here, and not Peppermint, or the members within its forum, I'd say if Windows were open source, and compliant with standard Internet protocol, I'd dig deeper into Windows myself.  I admit Cortana has far-reaching and fascinating possibilities.  But I have no reason to trust Windows, or its program Cortana, with my queries.  And why would I want to use a cloud-based AV --following everything I query-- especially when I know I don't need an AV with Linux?  Then, how about updates?  Like Linux, of course, we all need to update Windows, but then we still need to keep an eye on our individual programs, like our browsers, just to be sure that they're updated.  What's that all about?

Let me continue, I know Windows is huge, but where's the diversity of DEs such as we have in the world of Linux?  Then we've got those godawful product keys to contend with Windows --coupled with occasional antagonistic phone calls to India.  And, even with those, you still have to enter about ten five-digit codes in order to prove for the umpteenth time that you really did purchase, and are still LEASING the GD Windows program.  I mean, really, what a racket!  For the average Joe and Jane, Windows really is a ripoff.  After you think about it for a while, you realize that running Windows is a raw deal for the ordinary end user!  What benefit does the average Joe or Jane get from running Windows?  I don't see any.

All that said, I have nothing against anyone using, or looking at, Windows --NOTHING.  My BEEF is with Windows itself--which is now consider another good reason to eat some fish tonight. ;)

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »
Look ma, 6 monitors !   :D

As fate would have it, I'm running 2 machines and watching 5 monitors on Peppermint 7 Respin.  However, I need to doctor-up a collective bargaining agreement (contract) before tomorrow, soooo I'm typing this from my '10' lappy - yes, on my lap.  Peppermint and company is taking up all my desktop real estate.

No matter how much they try, nobody has come up with a totally [ms] compatible office suite.  Sad, but true.  Rather than pull my hair out, for the next hour or two, it easier to fire up my Peppermint 7 / winders 10 dual-booter, and use the real thing.  Ribbons rawk !

So, there's a practical example of why I like '10'.  It saves me time and trouble in my professional life.  Can't say that about '7'.

This lappy came with winders 7 pre-installed.  I never even booted it.  First thing I did, when I bought this Latitude, was remove the HDD.  I threw it on the bone pile and ran a full install of Peppermint 7 from a USB stick, until my Sammy SSD arrived.

When the Sammy arrived, sure, I had to haxor the '10' install.  You can't just download '10' and install it, like Peppermint.  First thing you run across is a screen saying you can't do a fresh '10' install on this machine, due to possible hardware damage, and voided warranty.  ms then directs you to contact Dell support.  Whatevs !  I haxored it onto this machine anyway.  Just have to know what you're doing, you know ?   ;)

Besides, haxoring winders has always been half the fun ...   8)

I quit testing '10' on the desktop, months ago - not because there's anything wrong with it - but, truthfully, because I don't have any need for it, on the desktop.  It just sits there, taking up space.

The lappy is a different matter.  Aside from the ms office 16 suite, Kodi works better on the HDMI port.  No goofing around.  Just plug in the cable, and away you go.

Same thing for connecting to 'guest' WiFi routers.  Pick one.  A (cortana) bubble pops up saying the connection needs additional information.  Click it, and it opens up Chromium, and automagically finds the login screen.  With Linux, I need to jump through hoops, to get to the 'guest' login screens, at most properties.  Sometimes, in the blind, without a URI, I never find the auth connection.  If I'm sitting around a bunch of peeps on ms machines, I usually give up and ask them how they logged on.

Anyway, I'm not trying to defend the zealots at ms, or their sheeple hordes.  I'm just saying, '10' has been a joy for me, so far.  Hopefully, the arm-twisters at ms will force my employers to switch to '10' in the near future !

Okay, back on task.  I don't want to fry my nuts with this i7 ...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:19:02 pm »
Oh I'll freely admit there are a few things Windows does better than Linux .. but nothing that even slightly tempts me to use it (except where I HAVE to for a job), my argument was purely about Windows "10" being the worst at making me run for Linux loving arms :)

To me it feels like a schizophrenic mashup of 7 / 8 / Windows phone (and generally the "worst" bits from those) .. and too much like a "work in progress".

And then there's those $%^&ing updates, which I find more annoying than the privacy/security issues .. not only do they take FOREVER, but they inevitably break something you've already fixed (multiple times) in a bloody annoying (and unstoppable) "we know what's best for you" fashion.

EVERY update resets the option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in .. and replaces the touchpad driver with the Microsoft one which is broken. I've told it not to update drivers but it totally ignores that setting >:(

Now consider I don't use it much (say once a month) and it means EVERY time I boot it it breaks those things requiring me to reinstall the touchpad driver and reset the mouse setting (if I'm gonna use one), then takes forever to shut down, and you can probably understand why I hate it so much.

[EDIT]

For my computers sake I have to make sure my immediate vicinity contains no heavy objects whenever I boot "10" :)

Win7 used to make me appreciate Linux .. 8/8.1 made me hate my job .. 10 makes me want to kill something .. surely something's seriously wrong with an OS that makes you ANGRY every single time you use it, 7 didn't make me feel that way it was just "meh!"

This is not an anti-windows rant, it's a "ditch the schizophrenically confused UI", "stop undoing my effing changes" and "for crying out loud, surely updates don't need to hijack your PC for this long" rant >:(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:59:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
And, poor you, VinDSL, it's me again! ;D

For what it's worth, VinDSL, and I gather you haven't seen it, Windows 8.1 does have a beautiful interface.  (That still doesn't make mrsperknh and me want to use it, but the two of us agree it's a truly beautiful interface.)  Still, that said, I personally believe that Windows is losing its mojo rapidly.  I hear you though, VinDSL, what are you going to do when you NEED to use a Windows program?  Well, you're going use it --especially if you're on a job and you HAVE to use it.  Right now, that's just the way it is. ::)

Fortunately, the reality of NEEDING to use Windows is changing rather quickly.  Time is on our side here, thank goodness. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:41:48 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
Here's where I'm at:  Why would you want to run Windows 7 or 8 with one of those brand new processors?  If you're rocking a shiny new rig, why run a system from 2009 or 2012?  If you absolutely have to have Windows, run Windows 10.  Otherwise, there are many more (and better) options out there.

Stupid news like this just makes me laugh and roll my eyes.  Every dumb thing they do simply confirms the wise choice I made to cut Windows out of my life completely.  I don't have to deal with any of this crap, because I don't run it at all.  The closest thing I run to Windows is the modified version on my XBOX 360, which I don't even let on the Internet anymore.

Offline farms

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 Bit
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:33 am »
Hello  as i stated before i was a Windows 7 user and it was getting a joke doing a clean install with all the updates and then one bright morning i woke up and i have a nice clean Windows 10 that has totally messed my PC up and to top it of i never asked for it  :o  , So then they had that little bit of writing you can revert back to Windows 7 , well let's just say they fibbed , one of my friends mentioned Peppermint another so and so but as soon as i had the Peppermint Bang , that was it like when you meet your first girlfriend  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:02 am »
as soon as i had the Peppermint Bang , that was it like when you meet your first girlfriend  ;)

Nicely put :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 04:05:36 am »
And then there's those $%^&ing updates, which I find more annoying than the privacy/security issues .. not only do they take FOREVER

I was on a meal break, yesterday, and decided to do a winders (cumulative) update. 

Only had 35-minutes to play with, so I knew I was taking a chance but, hey, I was on an i7 Dell lappy, 30-feet away from a NOC with multiple 10GbE connections.

How long could it take, right ?!?!?

24 minutes ...  LoL !   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:15:37 am »
Does that include the "Please don't turn off your PC whilst Windows configures updates" shutdown time ?

If it does, you got away lightly .. now you get to enjoy reapplying all your personal system settings/driver updates it reverted to default >:(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:23:04 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 03:56:32 pm »
Does that include the "Please don't turn off your PC whilst Windows configures updates" shutdown time ?

If it does, you got away lightly .. now you get to enjoy reapplying all your personal system settings/driver updates it reverted to default >:(

I booted, checked for updates (since it was Tuesday) and sure enough !  I thought it would be a fun time-test.

Truthfully, I *thought* and *hoped* that I would need to turn my laptop off, in the middle of the upgrade.  I wanted to see what would happen ...  ;D

Anyway, it probably took 4 minutes to download n' prep for the upgrade - and, yes, 20 minutes of spinner time and "Please don't turn off your PC whilst Windows configures updates".  When I rebooted, to complete the upgrade, I only got the whirligig for few seconds, before the login screen.

Haven't had to reconfig anything, after any upgrade, nor reinstall any drivers.  '10' has been very stable, so far.  Then, again, I pretty much leave it alone, i.e. don't fool around with it, like I do with Linux machines.