Choose style:

Author Topic: This is a wireless wifi adapter that works out of the box in Peppermint!  (Read 56 times)

Pjotr

A frequently asked question: where can I buy a wireless wifi adapter that works out of the box in Linux? Please post your findings in this thread, so that others may benefit from your experiences!

I recently bought an EDUP EP-N8553 dongle, which is fully plug and play in Peppermint 7; no need to do anything, it just works out of the box.

I bought it for only 3,47 (shipping included), at dx.com:
http://www.dx.com/p/edup-ep-n8553-mini-150mbps-usb-wireless-network-card-nano-adapter-black-golden-401231#.WM0VoUemkW0

This is what lsusb says about it:
Code: [Select]
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter

And inxi -Nn:
Code: [Select]
Card-2: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter driver: mt7601u
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:34:32 am by Pjotr »

Offline scifidude79

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64 bit
I use a TP-Link TL-WN722N that I've had for ages, it works OTB every time.  I also have a D-Link adapter that works OOTB.  In fact, I have a great history with wireless on Linux.  I've never had it not work OOTB, not even on my computers with built in WIFI.  (budget 2012 laptop and an Alienware Steam Machine)

Online mac

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
Good info, guys, nice to know stuff.  Maybe others could post what works OOTB and what doesn't work with Peppermint.   ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
Good idea for a topic :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
Linux in the UK