Choose style:

Author Topic: Boot fail after shutdown/restart  (Read 1621 times)

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7,8
Boot fail after shutdown/restart
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »
I'm encountering an issue where shutting down normally (it shows the progress bar) and restarting is causing the machine to hang at a black screen. A physical power down and restart from there loads Grub, which may or may not launch into Peppermint. If the first attempt hangs, a second will always launch properly.

This is on a Asus moo4u (chromebox) and I have a feeling that it's not recognizing the displays (2) that are plugged into it properly. This particular box has 1 DP and one HDMI and the two televisions they are plugged into are not equal in resolution. One is a 1080 LED and the other is a 720 plasma. Although I've set resolution to the 720 for both so that it mirrors properly, it's dropping the saved settings for the 720 machine each time and resetting the connection at 768(the higher res monitor hods its 720 settings) I assume this is being done in Grub at startup (or Peppermint isn't properly saving the settings at shutdown), creating the conflict with display output and causing blackscreen..or maybe not.

The physical restart when its blank is immediate, suggesting the machine is not working. When Grub fails to launch Peppermint, that physical restart requires holding that power button in for a good 10 seconds to force the shutdown.

The only third party software added to this machine is Chrome, Kodi (no addons), Steam and LIRC.

The first days of install didn't exhibit this behavior, so are we looking at something skipping on shutdown now, a broken update or ???

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Boot fail after shutdown/restart
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
When shutting down, does it eventually shut down if given long enough (give it 5 mins as a test) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
It always shuts down to a full power off. The issues show when it restarts, whether that's triggered with a restart from the menu in Peppermint or simply starting the machine again the morning after it's been powered down.

I never have to force a power down once I'm in Peppermint, it goes through the normal process including a quick flash over to the progress bar. The forced power cycling happens once it hangs on the power back up/reboot, like Grub isn't keeping track of working settings form the previous session.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:01:59 pm »
Have you tried removing "quiet splash" from the kernel boot line to see if any clues are presented by where it hangs ?

BTW, GRUB doesn't have to "remember" any settings across sessions.

Have you tried running:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
though I doubt if this is the problem as GRUB's job is long over once you've reached the plymouth progress bar.

When you're at the blank screen, what happens if you hit Ctrl+Alt+F3

Then logon in text mode,

Then run:
sudo service lightdm restart
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:36:41 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: typo fixed »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:05 pm »
nothing happens with Ctrl+Alt+F3. When it's blank, it's simply not outputting anything. Not a blinking cursor, nothing.

I noticed that if I keep both TVs on during startup, it will land in Grub (not launch Peppermint directly, but at least start). If I restart with both monitors on, it will do exactly as expected, shutdown, launch into Pos when it comes back, straight in, no Grub.  If I turn off monitor 1 and do the same, it blanks. If I have monitor one off, start it, turn 1 on, I will see Grub, hit enter and it will freeze on the honeycomb background and not load peppermint in.

In both of those scenarios, monitor 2 displays nothing, not grub, not the cell background, nada. It won't receive an image until Pos loads in.

In every restart, monitor 2 loses the saved resolution settings (720).

If Grub doesn't save any settings, how does it do the hdmi handshake on startup (so that its menu is visible)? I did run the grub update, it didn't change anything. I have no idea on the quiet splash. I'll have to read up on it.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:42:16 pm »
SandmanUT
When you get to the grub screen, press the "e" key which will allow editing.  Look for "quiet splash" at or near the end of  the line starting with "linux" and remove "quiet splash"  and whatever immediately follows it (if anything) on that line.  This should allow you to see console messages during the boot process.  Pay attention to these messages as it boots up and see what's happening when it hangs.  Knowing that can help determine the problem.   Once you remove "quiet splash" press F10 to boot.

cheers
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:01:43 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:09 am »
Edit: never mind, confused myself.

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:52 pm »
All right...so interestingly enough, it won't hang post grub with the quiet splash removed. Where it WILL hang is prior to grub loading..or at least it being visible on either monitor. (it's black, but it requires a long press to shut down, so it's actively doing something, it's just not visible)

Monitor (HDMI) 2 will not output anything until after grub goes by, whether mirroring or with only it on. I'm guessing it would if I yanked the plug on the first monitor (dp) and left only one, as I've seen that behavior before on SteamOs, but that's not a fix.

If it doesn't land on Grub and just goes straight through to Peppermint, all is good, BUT it won't do that if I'm swapping between monitors or turn one off, it will land in grub or freeze.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 12:50:57 pm »
I don't think GRUB will ever appear on multiple screens at once, just one - regardless of any settings within an OS.

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:15 pm »
and that would be fine...if it recognized monitor 2 when monitor 1 is off...or if it wasn't stopping at grub at all.  :-\

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:46 pm »
and that would be fine...if it recognized monitor 2 when monitor 1 is off...or if it wasn't stopping at grub at all.  :-\

Are you saying you want to bypass grub?  If that is what you're after you can edit grub to accomplish this. 
sudo pluma /etc/default/grub
Find the line that reads GRUB_TIMEOUT="10" and change it to read GRUB_TIMEOUT="0" but do this ONLY if you have just one OS.   
If you're dual booting use "1" in the place of "0" which will show grub for one second, giving you time to select another OS if you're fast.

Save your changes and exit pluma and then run
sudo update-grub

If that's not what you're after then kindly disregard.  Either way.....

cheers
mac
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »
that would seem to be a good idea (yes, I'm running single OS), but sadly, the behavior doesn't change. If you do the same things (monitor changes) that cause the freeze, it still lands in Grub (and yes, the settings stuck) and sits. The first enter after the hard restart ends up with the hang before peppermint loads, second hard restart launches peppermint directly in.

So Grub always appears after first hard restart (blank screen) and won't proceed without input , freezes post grub, then launches Pos directly in after second hard start.

It simply will not boot in without monitor one on.

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:08:12 pm »
I don't think GRUB will ever appear on multiple screens at once, just one - regardless of any settings within an OS.

As an FYI, I moved the machine so that I could swap cables and see if the lowest resolution monitor being in position one would have any influence. While that didn't solve the problem, it did display grub on both (mirrored) in that configuration.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:54:51 am »
That's weird but it's obviously non-standard hardware you're using there. If a monitor is encountered during boot and the right driver is not yet loaded, it could cause this sort of problem, I suppose.

Offline SandmanUT

• Peppermint OS User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 12:54:23 pm »
I don't know what's considered "non-standard hardware". It's an Asus moo4u (chromebox) as outlined in the first post. It's got whatever hardware in it that it was manufactured with.