Choose style:

Author Topic: Very discouraged!! (Solved)  (Read 2198 times)

Offline gclark94560

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • GunBuilds.com
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Very discouraged!! (Solved)
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »
Right now I'm very discouraged!   :(

I tried PM4, and it worked fairly well.  Never could get my Samsung ML-2525 printer to work.  I need my printer!

Upgraded to PM5.  Things went from sad to worse.  System crashed every time I went off and left the computer alone for over half an hour.  Had to do a push-button re-boot every time.  Printer still didn't work.

I bought a new printer.  One that the forums and the internet said should work fine.  Samsung M2835DW.

It didn't work!

I reverted to PM4.  Crashes stopped.  Still no printer.  Tried everything I could think of.

I'm about ready to buy Windows 8 and at least have reliability and a printer!   >:( :(

Any ideas???
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:50:30 pm by gclark94560 »
Man plans, God laughs!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Very discouraged!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:13:13 am »
Hi gclark94560

Sorry to hear you're feeling so discouraged, I wouldn't give up on the printer just yet  I'm sure that can be made to work, but there's no point trying to get it working while you're systems crashing every half hour or so, if this is only happening while you're away from the computer the problem may be with Light-Locker, have you tried switching off Light-locker to see if it stops the system crashes

To do so go Menu>Preferences-Light Locker Settings, a Dialogue box will open up, under "Locking" you will see a checkbox that says "Enable Light Locker" tick that box to switch it off,

Post back here with the results,

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline gclark94560

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • GunBuilds.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:04:25 am »
I have re-installed PM4 and don't find "Menu>Preferences-Light Locker Settings" in this menu.

I don't understand why the system locates and correctly identifies the printer, but them can't make it function??
Man plans, God laughs!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:14:08 am »

I have re-installed PM4 and don't find "Menu>Preferences-Light Locker Settings" in this menu.

PM4 doesn't use Light-Locker which is why you can't find it , I thought you said it was PM5 that was crashing  ?

Graeme
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:56:18 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline gclark94560

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • GunBuilds.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:04 am »
Sorry about the confusion.  It was PM5 that was crashing, that's why I reverted to PM4.  Went back to the last stable setup I had going.

I now ran into a new issue in PM4.  I enabled a real pretty screen saver.  Once it engaged, there was no getting out of it so - another push-button reset.  One of the very few I have had to do in PM4.

So I disabled the screen saver.
Man plans, God laughs!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:00 am »
I'm thinking that it's the screensaver that's causing the crashing with PM5 which is why I asked you to switch off Light-Locker just to confirm,

if you're getting similar problems in PM4, this might be a hardware issue but I'm just guessing, it would take someine smarter than me to confirm that and offer a solution

Switching off Light-Locker in PM5 is the same as disabling the screensaver in PM4 it would have been helpful to know if doing that stopped the crashing problem in PM5.

I don't understand why the system locates and correctly identifies the printer, but them can't make it function??

Just out of curiosity do you have another USB lead you can try on the printer ?

Graeme

Offline gclark94560

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • GunBuilds.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:06:16 am »
"Just out of curiosity do you have another USB lead you can try on the printer ?"

Yes - will try it later when back from work.

Thanks!
Man plans, God laughs!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:47 am »
You need to settle on a version of Peppermint and we'll try to help fix your problems .. but this is getting very confusing as it is.

Do you want to stick with Peppermint 4, or move to Peppermint 5 ?

Please let us know, then define the problems .. such as, when you say you tried installing a screensaver, what screensaver and how did you install it ?

I'm tending to agree with emegra .. if Peppermint5 only "crashed" when left alone for a while, I'd guess it was either light-locker or the xfce4-power-manager.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline gclark94560

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • GunBuilds.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:49:56 pm »
Thanks PCNetSpec!!!  It's working.

In PM4.  I'm staying with 4 until I get a whole lot more familiar with Peppermint.

Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!   Thank You!!      :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:12:28 pm by gclark94560 »
Man plans, God laughs!

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Very discouraged!! (Solved)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
you would be wise to switch back to Pep5 since Pep4 no longer receives updates....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40