Choose style:

Author Topic: network-manager OpenVPN issue  (Read 722 times)

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
network-manager OpenVPN issue
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:40:56 pm »
Hi guys!

Forever, using network-manager-openvpn-gnome has worked flawlessly... Until recently, as of yesterday or today. I try to import configs and despite filling the credentials needed to connect (username and password) only the username saves. Also, when I scroll over nm-applet (in the tray) and scroll over VPN Connections the "Add a VPN connection..." is grayed out, therefore I am forced to add configs by clicking "Edit Connections...". It seems to be because of an update (in fact, I have had multiple updates related to network-manager between yesterday and today). I have tried reinstalling network-manager by doing:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager

also tried completely removing all of the openvpn related packages (which includes network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome by doing:

sudo apt-get remove --purge openvpn*
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

so I have decided to do some testing by launching nm-connection-editor in the terminal and adding OpenVPN configurations to see if there were any errors. This caught my eye.

** Message: Cannot save connection due to error: Editor initializing...
** Message: Cannot save connection due to error: Invalid setting VPN: username (this is normal as this always happens before entering a username)
** Message: Cannot save connection due to error: Editor initializing... (this is when I had already saved the credentials and went back in to "Edit" them, and no password was there, only the username)

Any ideas? Anyone able to reproduce the issue? Tried checking bug reports for these packages and haven't seen anything related to this...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:03:48 am by Kyle »
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
Re: network-manager OpenVPN issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
I've investigated the issue further and I have believe I came up with a workaround solution... I went into Seahorse and deleted all of the saved OpenVPN credentials and proceeded to re-add the OpenVPN configuration files to NetworkManager. The password entered in NetworkManager for each OpenVPN profile has worked as I am able to confirm NetworkManager saving these credentials to gnome-keyring... However, if I were to go back and "Edit" these OpenVPN profiles, the password box would be empty even though I am able to connect... Odd... I am thinking this is an issue introduced in the latest network-manager or network-manager-openvpn updates.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:26:37 am by Kyle »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:05:30 pm »
It may well be .. thanks for providing your solution Kyle :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:31 pm »
Would like to say this issue has not been fixed. At first, I believed it was but it turns out I forgot my VPN provider doesn't require a password  ::) still looking for advice on how to fix this.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:38 pm »
If anyone is using OpenVPN with a VPN provider (such as CyberGhost) that requires 'dual-stack' IPv6/IPv4 support for their configuration to work, please be aware that OpenVPN 2.3 (as used in Ubuntu 16.04 and therefore Peppermint 7/8) cannot auto-determine whether to use IPv4 or IPv6  on mixed mode dual-stack connections - full dual-stack functionality was only added in OpenVPN 2.4.0 (which was then used in 17.04 / 17.10).

So I've backported openvpn-2.4.4 to 16.04/Peppermint 7/8 .. but I'd like someone who's having connection issues (that normally require disabling IPv6 to fix), to test it for me please before I push it as an update to everyone.
(I'd also appreciate anyone using openvpn who is NOT experiencing problems to verify this update doesn't break anything .. it shouldn't but it can't hurt for people to verify it ;) )

To install openvpn 2.4.4, please open a terminal and run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peppermintos/peppermint-8-openvpn-2.4.4-testing
then
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get upgrade
and let me know if that solves your issue.

Thanks in advance. :)

If you want to undo these changes and go back to openvpn 2.3, simply run:
sudo ppa-purge ppa:peppermintos/peppermint-8-openvpn-2.4.4-testing
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:34:25 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline anselm

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 (64 Bit)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:16 am »
I did install openvpn on my peppermint machine no problems at all. I use PIA for my vpn.

Something that might help, I was  problem's staying connected to my vpn on my linux mint machine's, installed openvpn 2.4.4 seemed to fix it. I also disabled ipv6.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »
Good to know it fixes things in Mint too :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec