Choose style:

Author Topic: Isn't It Sad  (Read 1439 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
Isn't It Sad
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:32 am »
Isn't it sad that the best game controller available for Linux is still the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller?  I mean, it is one of the best, if not the best constructed controllers on the planet.  (got one right, M$)  But, with all the controllers out there, the one that works as expected 100% of the time and is great for both Steam and non Steam gaming is the XBOX 360 controller.  So much for getting away from Microsoft.  ???

This is, unfortunately, even after Steam releasing their own controller, which you'd expect to work great for Linux, given that their own OS is based on Debian.  Yet, while it works OK for Steam games, the Steam controller doesn't work for other Linux games, unless you add them to your Steam library.  ::)  Furthermore, the lack of a right thumb stick makes some games much harder to play, as the track pads just don't offer the same kind of flawless performance for FPS games or twin stick shooters.  I found a Playstation 3 controller has mapping issues in Steam and, when I re-mapped it, it stopped working correctly.  And, Logitech and other controller manufacturers need to apply, since they tend to not work with Steam either.  (they work great with other stuff)

So, I own two Steam controllers, and a Steam machine.  Yet, to play certain games, I actually purchased another wired 360 controller, a black one this time, to match the Steam Machine. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:49:50 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Isn't It Sad
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
the Steam controller doesn't work for other Linux games, unless you add them to your Steam library.  ::)

Do you mean because it requires steam / big picture mode to work ?

https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller

Current .deb files...

64bit Peppermint 7 (16.04)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/kozec/xUbuntu_16.04/amd64/sc-controller_0.3.7_amd64.deb

32bit Peppermint 7 (16.04)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/kozec/xUbuntu_16.04/i386/sc-controller_0.3.7_i386.deb
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:31:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:07:23 pm »
the Steam controller doesn't work for other Linux games, unless you add them to your Steam library.  ::)

Do you mean because it requires steam / big picture mode to work ?

https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller

Current .deb files...

64bit Peppermint 7 (16.04)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/kozec/xUbuntu_16.04/amd64/sc-controller_0.3.7_amd64.deb

32bit Peppermint 7 (16.04)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/kozec/xUbuntu_16.04/i386/sc-controller_0.3.7_i386.deb

Nice!  Thanks, I'll have to try that later because I'm about to go to work.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
Works for me .. no need to start Steam at all :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:43 pm »
Isn't it sad that the best game controller available for Linux is still the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller? 

Unrelated, probably, but your sad story made me think of my own:

I still use PS/2 corded ball mouses (with scroll wheel).  Buy 5 at a time, and throw them in the trash bin, when they get janky. 

Can't stand optical USB mouses !   There's no *feel* to them.

Just saying.  Okay, carry on ...   :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:13:53 pm »
Bit outa left field that John ??? .. I still use a pen to scratch my *****

Same reason .. an optical mouse just hasn't the same "feel"

Just saying...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:17:22 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:05:15 am »
You're right, an optical mouse doesn't feel the same as a wheel (ball) mouse.  Thank goodness for that, in my opinion.  I find an optical mouse to be much smoother, and the wheels tend to get dirty real easily.

Anywho, the thing about the controllers isn't a feel thing, it's a function thing.  A wired XBOX 360 controller just works.  Plug it in, it works.  No configuration, no adding any programs or adding it to Steam and registering it to your account (yup, you've gotta do that with Steam controllers.)  It just works OOTB.  That's all I'm saying.  So, one thing Microsoft makes just works.  Go figure.  :P

Personally, I like to use bare fingernails for any and all scratching.  It just does the job better.  :-\

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:46 am »
Bit outa left field that John ??? .. I still use a pen to scratch my *****

Pop to the Dr's.  I am sure they will have some cream for that

Just saying...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:13 am »
Most third party controllers use XInput as well, that's probably why it's well supported everywhere.

However this standart has it's downside as well, with XInput most games moved away from free input settings and only accept analog inputs over XInput. And if you're that weird guy that wants to use a gameboard with a mouse, most modern games/engines won't be able to do that. Either you can use XInput (Thumbstick works properly but Mouse doesn't) or the Mouse+Keyboard setting (Mouse works, but you have to mount e.g. WASD to the Thumbstick wasting the precision of it). In older games which don't support XInput you can set it up however you like. In some modern games this is possible as well, but it's pretty rare nowadays :(
I'm not playing FPS so much, but I'm always questioning how all those PC-Masterrace-FPS-Players are ok with their weird 8-way movement and those with controllers can't aim anyways :-\
The realism of modern games, either your legs aren't working properly or your arms... Graphics are more important anyways, I guess ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
Personally, I like to use bare fingernails for any and all scratching.  It just does the job better.  :-\

You obviously don't have the same hedgehog skin pen I do.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »
We have these tools where I work that are supposed to help you straighten products on the shelf quickly.  I say supposed to because, well, they leave a bit to be desired.  However, many of us have taken to calling them back scratchers (among other less flattering names) because they're basically a thin metal rod with a 90 degree bend at one end and a handle on the other end.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:29:56 am »
Bit outa left field that John ???

Kinda hard to follow my logic sometimes - it isn't linear.  LoL !   :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 05:35:23 am »
You're right, an optical mouse doesn't feel the same as a wheel (ball) mouse.  Thank goodness for that, in my opinion.  I find an optical mouse to be much smoother, and the wheels tend to get dirty real easily.

I thought you might be saying, sometimes newer isn't better.  Regardless, I agree.

Everybody buys toilet paper ...  ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 10:54:03 am »
Well, it's just one of those things.  Some people like newer tech, some prefer older tech.  My Mom prefers CRT monitors, the rest of the family is happy with LCDs.  Of course, if her current monitor goes out, then she will have to buy an LCD, if she wants a new monitor.  I personally miss the good old days of digital joystick controllers.  Analog sticks are great, they offer much better and more natural movement, they're really responsive and you can change speeds with them.  However, I grew up playing Atari with digital joysticks, and there's nothing quite like it.  I love those things. But, they were replaced by D-Pads.  (thanks Nintendo ::))  So, how good or bad newer technology is all comes down to personal preference.

Everybody buys toilet paper ...  ;)

I like the soft kind.  ;D

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 11:03:06 am »
Those stupid console controllers were one reason I got out of gaming decades ago. Now I've got 3 arcade-style "fightsticks" to play games on MAME, but I hardly ever get round to actually using them...