Choose style:

Author Topic: Performance & co  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Performance & co
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »
one of the main reasons i prefer Peppermint over windows is for the modularity of linux systems and because it's a lightweight distro (those are oriented to offering more performance and that's what i want). I feel like i could boost   the launch time of my apps (especially eclipse/libreoffice/Firefox which are rather slow to lauch compared to others)

so i searched a bit on the internet but i don't want to install apps for speeding my pc without knowing what i'm doing or having to risk my performances (which is the exacte opposite of what i want to do xD ), so for now i found these2 methods and i wonder if you know anything about them or what do you think? (safe to use?)

1) Prelink : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Prelink (i understood the concept but wonder if it can damage my system or change the behaviour of apps)
2) https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144963 (this one i don't know what i really does)
gonna have some rest now, will continue searching later.

and btw, do you have any tips to make apps launch faster?

Pjotr

Re: Performance & co
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:31:54 am »
Prelink has its drawbacks, which is why I don't use it myself: https://lwn.net/Articles/341244/

You can find some speed tweaks here, which should be considered safe:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

Written for Linux Mint, but mostly applicable in Peppermint 7 as well.  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:58:38 pm by Pjotr »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 07:06:45 am »
Want faster boot/app load times .. invest in an SSD :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:32:36 am »

100%  Once you go SSD there is no going back.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:14 am »
wouldn't go that far, i'm more on the optimization side so if there are safe tweaks/manipulations then i'm interested :)
EDIT :how about this one https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144963  (2nd thing i found on my first post) do you know what it does exactly?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:45:25 am by Ly »

Pjotr

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:37 pm »
how about this one https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144963  (2nd thing i found on my first post) do you know what it does exactly?
I have no idea. You'd do wise to only apply it, when you know more about its workings....

Applying how-to' s without having at least some understanding of how and why they work, is a sure and fast road to perdition.  :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:59:15 pm by Pjotr »

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:26:28 pm »
how about this one https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144963  (2nd thing i found on my first post) do you know what it does exactly?
I have no idea. You'd do wise to only apply it, when you know more about its workings....

Applying how-to' s without having at least some understanding of how and why they work, is a sure and fast road to perdition.  :D

wise words have been spoken   :)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 11:57:24 pm »
All it said to do was create an empty folder in your home directory...

I did that and...                                      Nothing.   I have noticed no difference in the launch speed of any apps.  Maybe it is just for the KDE Desktop - despite what other people in the thread said.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »
All it said to do was create an empty folder in your home directory...

I did that and...                                      Nothing.   I have noticed no difference in the launch speed of any apps.  Maybe it is just for the KDE Desktop - despite what other people in the thread said.

Regards Zeb...
ok thanks for the information :)

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »
I'm have and SSD and HDD but I'm on the HDD right now since it's bigger. I don't notice much performance difference. But it is there, just not gonna be much faster if you already have a fast processor. If you ever put a SSD in a old PC you'll see that it can be insanely fast. But if the overall system , RAM , CPU, etc is already generally fast you won't really gain that much out of an SSD but faster boot times IMO.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:55:08 pm »
Both "prelink" and "composite-cache" are aimed solely at improving application load times .. precisely what an SSD is WAY better than an HDD at. If shorter application load times is what the OP is after, NOTHING will beat an upgrade to an SSD at achieving this (short of preloading the entire app into RAM, which again would be MUCH faster done from an SSD).

Sure an SSD won't make an application "run" faster when loaded to RAM .. but that doesn't appear to be what the OP is asking.

If you're seeing little improvement in load times between an HDD and SSD, there's something seriously wrong with either your setup or hardware (or your SSD is on an older SATA I/II channel) .. the difference (at least on SATA III) should be a night/day affair.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:56:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec