Choose style:

Author Topic: Dropbox public folder links.  (Read 627 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Dropbox public folder links.
« on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:07 pm »
I received this from Dropbox

This is a reminder that your Public folder links will become inactive on March 15. On that date, your Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and your files will remain safe in your account. If you want to share those files again, you'll need to use shared links instead.

The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we've built more sophisticated ways for you to share securely and work together with your team. In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control.

We understand these sharing methods are not a direct replacement for the Public folder in some casesówe apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. For more information on transitioning from the Public folder to shared links, visit our Help Center.

- The Dropbox Team

So any images or files I've shared from my dropbox on this forum will become inactive soon.

I'll try to move all the files to another service and update the links on here as and when I come across them .. meanwhile if anyone notices a link to something on my dropbox that no longer works, please send me a PM and I'll fix it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox public folder links.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:13:18 am »
Yup !  I got a conciliatory email from them yesterday, "Sorry for the inconvenience," and all that ...

That's why I host my own pics via VinDSL.com   ;)

Makes it easier for the search bots to find them, too:  https://goo.gl/ltJjD0

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
I have a Dropbox account, but I rarely use it and I never use the public folder, so no e-mail for me.  ;)

If I see any links that don't work as a result of this, I'll be sure to give you a holler.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:10 am »
TVM .. only let me know about ones from MY dropbox (eg. ones in my postings).

In fact I assume if anyone needs a download and the link doesn't work, they'll say so in the topic .. so no need to go hunting for them ;)

Theoretically all I'd need to do to find them is do a forum search for 31525164 and 11876059 anyway (which I **might** get round to at some point :)

Quote from: VinDSL
That's why I host my own pics

Pics I'm not so bothered about .. **most** of those I either host on IMGUR or bung em on the Peppermint server, but there are some files such as modified wireless drivers etc. that are being hosted from my dropbox.
(basically I was just too lazy to upload em to the Peppermint server .. guess I'm gonna need to rethink that position)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:58:54 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64bit
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:48:26 am »
Have you considered Mediafire for public file sharing I opened an account you get 10gb free works great :)

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:01:25 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
Mediafire don't allow you to give direct download links .. ie. links that immediately start a download .. instead it always takes you to a Mediafire download page which is less than ideal.

Or do you know a way to do this ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:11:04 pm »
I've been looking for the panel reset script but of course it was on Dropbox. There are several topics directing to that link, it's hard to keep track of them all  >:(

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:55 pm »
Mediafire don't allow you to give direct download links .. ie. links that immediately start a download .. instead it always takes you to a Mediafire download page which is less than ideal

Or do you know a way to do this ?

I have no idea how to do that, I've only recently tried Mediafire as I needed to publicly share a file and Mediafire provided an answer but I'm not particularly familiar with it yet, but can you tell me why you think being taken to their download page is "less than ideal" ?

EDIT
It is possible to add followers to individual files or folders which may allow direct downloads but I haven't tried that yet

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:58:00 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:02:07 pm »
I think Direct downloads is only possible with the paid version at $3.75 per month

here's a feature list

Ad-free sharing and downloads
    1TB (1000GB) of space
    20GB per file
    Long-term storage
    No captcha codes
    * Direct links to files *
    Download entire folders
    FileDrop uploader
    Priority support

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:03:34 pm »
I've been looking for the panel reset script but of course it was on Dropbox. There are several topics directing to that link, it's hard to keep track of them all  >:(

I've uploaded that file to the Peppermint server .. tutorial now here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5261.0.html

But I'll also find/fix the other links.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec