Choose style:

Author Topic: Install Lexmark S405 on laptop running Peppermint  (Read 938 times)

Offline agummess

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 32-bit
Install Lexmark S405 on laptop running Peppermint
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:42:09 pm »
Hi, there,

I am a complete beginner to Peppermint OS, and to Linux in general. I have just spent an entire evening navigating Wine and PlayonLinux and .exe files and I am not an inch closer to solving my current problem, which is:

How on earth do you install a Lexmark Interpret S405 to a computer running 32-bit Peppermint OS?

A followup question would be, am I even using the right language to describe my problem?

I initially started this journey with the intention of getting my dinosaur Lexmark printer connected up to the house wifi network so that I could use my ipad to print documents. I learned in the process that you can only connect Lexmark printers to wireless if you have a computer with the printer already installed on it. Hence my current problem.

If I can't get this to work, I may have to buy a new printer, and I'd like to avoid that. Grad student, need to save money, yadayada. If anyone has an answer or some insight, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

A.G.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Install Lexmark S405 on laptop running Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »
You're going to want these files...

The Lexmark Setup Utility
http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/pssd/lexmark-printer-utility-1.0-2.i386.deb

and

The Scanner Driver
http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/pssd/lexmark-scan-legacy-1.1-1.i386.deb

and

The Printer Driver (PPD)
http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/pssd/lexmark-inkjet-legacy-1.0-1.i386.deb

That said, if all you want to do it set up the printer to attach to your wireless network so you can print from the iPad, and you have no intention of printing from Peppermint .. you probably only need the first file.

Download the file(s) .. double-click them to install them .. then look for the setup utility at:-

menu > System Tools > Lexmark Printer Utility
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline agummess

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:28:07 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the dancing eggs above this text window. Here, I'll try one on for size:

:)

On a different note, thank you for posting those links! I was successful at installing the driver - but then I went hunting for the USB cable to connect my printer to the laptop and now that's missing too. Give or take four days to get one shipped to the house and then I'll resume this little odyssey.

But thanks for the links! At least that's sorted out.

Cheers!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:26:11 am »
They're just there to accentuate the "mood" of a comment. English is a language with many odd nuances usually picked up from "tone of voice" or facial expression/body language, they don't always come across well in the written word .. I mean:-

Thanks for that :)

and

THANKS FOR THAT >:(

have 2 entirely different meanings, the first is a genuine "thank you", the second is more SHOUTING angry sarcasm.

or maybe:-

Go away ;)
(said in jest, with a wink)

and

Go away!!!  >:( ::)
(said in anger)

or maybe:-

are you really saying that ? :o
(showing surprise at a comment)

are you really saying that ? :-\
(showing confusion)

Why "eggs" ? .. simply because the standard "smileys" for SMF (the forum software) are bright yellow and boring, and the animated "egg" smiley theme matched our forum colour theme :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:32:34 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline agummess

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:01:01 am »
Status update: USB cable obtained, and printer driver installed. The links were very helpful! I even got it connected up to the house wifi.

Unfortunately, it still won't actually print anything.

I think there's an egg for that:  >:(

I'm now getting an error message from the printer that reads 'Lexmark_S300S400_Series':'cups-insecure-filter'.

It is out of ink - which is to be expected, since it's several years old and I've just this week dusted it off. That could be causing the error, but if that were the case, then why does it print when I ask it to copy something? Well, I say "print" but what I really mean is "spit out a slightly smudged blank paper."

Anywho. Any insight you could offer would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

:-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:56:34 pm »
Try running:
Code: [Select]
sudo chmod g-w /usr/local/lexmark/v3/etc/lxS300-S400.ppd
then
Code: [Select]
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
now see if you still get that error ?

Source:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/456918/cups-insecure-filter-error-for-lexmark-printer-on-trusty#511351
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:00:06 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec