Choose style:

Author Topic: Just the way it is  (Read 2955 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Just the way it is
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 03:34:52 am »
It's kinda like this

Imagine if Microsoft manufactured and sold printers that would only print documents created in or imported to MS Office 365

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 03:50:59 am »
It's kinda like this

Imagine if Microsoft manufactured and sold printers that would only print documents created in or imported to MS Office 365

Graeme

Don't give 'em ideas  ;D!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:09 am »
getting back to inkcut unless I'm misunderstanding it the idea of inkcut is to allow you to cut shapes directly from Inkscape

From what I'm reading it still may be possible if you can compile something called "libcutter" .. that said it seems a pointless exercise if Mrs Emegra is happy with what she has and doesn't want to change.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:56 am »
It's kinda like this

Graeme

Yeah, because you know they'd try it.  >:(

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 11:32:40 am »

From what I'm reading it still may be possible if you can compile something called "libcutter

Now you got me interested :),

as much as I despise this company and their practices it does look a decent piece of hardware and something I wouldn't mind using myself so long as I didn't have to use their software 

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 12:00:50 pm »
I had to sort my fathers computer last week, having issues with his online accounts. Installed google chrome and got everything working, chromium was not quite cutting it...?

Scroll to the bottom of this page and have a laff at this ignorance  :(  http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/security/browser-help   ???

Phoned their 'find out more' number and enquired what was going on. Wow, the BS was unreal, after I told them that the majority of the server are Linux and browser to browser contact has nothing to do with your operating system, (will stand to be corrected if that is not the case). They admitted explorer not their browser of choice, but was company policy.   :'(

Not bad as MS explorer 11 is riddled with vulnerabilities:  ;)   http://gizmodo.com/google-shames-microsoft-for-not-fixing-windows-10-brows-1792819255   ;)

C'est la vie...!
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:19 pm »
So, that means that bank wouldn't even support Android, which is frickin' stupid given its widespread use and the popularity of mobile devices for everything.

Usually, though, if it accepts Firefox or Chrome in Win/Mac, it will work fine in Linux.  But, there are exceptions.  Chromium probably didn't work due to something proprietary that's missing from it.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
They've got their own banking app for Android or iPhone.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »

From what I'm reading it still may be possible if you can compile something called "libcutter

Now you got me interested :),

as much as I despise this company and their practices it does look a decent piece of hardware and something I wouldn't mind using myself so long as I didn't have to use their software 

Graeme

I just checked to see if libcutter from here:
https://github.com/vangdfang/libcutter
still compiles in Peppermint 7 .. and after sorting out quite a few dependencies .. IT DOES :)

Obviously I have no way of testing it .. in fact I'm not even 100% sure what you're supposed to do with it once compiled, but if you're truly interested I can try to figure it out ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 01:36:31 pm »
I had to sort my fathers computer last week, having issues with his online accounts. Installed google chrome and got everything working, chromium was not quite cutting it...?

Scroll to the bottom of this page and have a laff at this ignorance  :(  http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/security/browser-help   ???

Phoned their 'find out more' number and enquired what was going on. Wow, the BS was unreal, after I told them that the majority of the server are Linux and browser to browser contact has nothing to do with your operating system, (will stand to be corrected if that is not the case). They admitted explorer not their browser of choice, but was company policy.   :'(

Not bad as MS explorer 11 is riddled with vulnerabilities:  ;)   http://gizmodo.com/google-shames-microsoft-for-not-fixing-windows-10-brows-1792819255   ;)

C'est la vie...!

Yeah I was warning people about Nationwide's idiotic policies back in 2010
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=3672.msg26832#msg26832

and later
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=5862.msg39592#msg39592
and
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=10549.msg79212#msg79212

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 01:51:12 pm »
Obviously I have no way of testing it .. in fact I'm not even 100% sure what you're supposed to do with it once compiled, but if you're truly interested I can try to figure it out ?

I'm very interested :)

remember if you make this work you could be hearing from ProvoCrafts lawyers  :o

Graeme

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:56:35 pm »
Not me .. I didn't write the library, nor is it commercial ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »
They've got their own banking app for Android or iPhone.

Ah, one of those.  ::)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 04:17:04 am »
I've been looking deeper into this, the laptop we're using is a Lenovo G555 running PM7, So to get this Cricut running I installed Win7 in a VM and spent the past 2 days downloading, installing & configuring Windows updates, but the bottom line is it's not gonna work it's just gonna be too slow, firstly the laptop only has 3 gb of RAM and is only capable of a mximum of 4gb, the minimun requirements for the Design Space software for this machine is 4gb, so I have to face facts it's not gonna work in a VM I just don't have the resources.

So I have 3 options
Option (1)
                  if libcutter get's it working in Linux via Inkscape/Inkcut then that would probably be the easiest solution

Option (2)
                  Give in to ProvoCraft and wipe the laptop completely and install Windows 7 bare metal

Option (3) (my preferred option)
                                                       Try again to talk her into flogging the lot on ebay and getting one of ones supported from here http://robocut.org or http://inkcut.sourceforge.net/ and running it natively in Linux, as far as design software is concerned if she can't get her head around Inkscape it's quite possible applications like Make The Cut, Sure Cuts A Lot or Easy Design Studio would run in Wine.

Graeme

Sadly the Cricut Explorer isn't one of them, it's listed (though misspelled) on page 8 of the cutters list as unsupported.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 05:21:19 am »
It's kinda like this

Bwahahahahaha !!!

First LoL of the day !

Thanks, for that ...   :D