Choose style:

Author Topic: firefox 30 on peppermint 4  (Read 5050 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: firefox 30 on peppermint 4
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:40 am »
Glad it helped :)

BUT...

Ubuntu seem to have finally got round to removing all the repo's for 13.04 (raring), so Peppermint 4 must be considered as dead as a really dead thing.

Peppermint 3 and 5 are built on LTS releases so should be good to go till 2017 and 2019 respectively.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: firefox 30 on peppermint 4
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
Hello gurdonark,

Since you have not yet installed Peppermint 5, or have just done so recently, do yourself a favor and go into the Menu -- Preferences -- Default applications for LXSession -- Autostart -- and then check the box next to Certificate and Key Storage.

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,443.msg3664.html#msg3664

Just doing that can save you lots of needless aggravation -- such as weird residual notifications after updating in the terminal.

And as for Firefox, it recently bumped up to version 31 which has even better security than version 30, and version 31 moves like lightning in Peppermint 5.

By the way, I understand your feelings for Peppermint 4.  That OS is as solid as a rock, light on resources, and so very fast.  But I'm liking Peppermint 5 more and more each day -- and with Peppermint 5 we get security updates.   ;)

I'm also a new convert to Firefox/IceWeasel.  I'm really liking the Mozilla experience.   :)

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm