Choose style:

Author Topic: firefox 30 on peppermint 4  (Read 5054 times)

Offline tiltmug

• Newly Subscribed
  • Hello to everyone!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
firefox 30 on peppermint 4
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:01:31 am »
How can i install it?!?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: firefox 30 on peppermint 4
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:30:52 am »
First, let me say Peppermint 5 has Firefox 30 by default and will receive updates as and when they're released .. so a MUCH better idea would be to ditch Peppermint 4 in favour of Peppermint 5.

But....

You *should* be able to try Firefox 30 (in Peppermint 4).

Just download the 12.04.3 .deb (for your architecture) from one of these links:-

32bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_30.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.3_i386.deb

64bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_30.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.3_amd64.deb

then double click the .deb to install it.

NOTE -

For version 29 it said it conflicted with the hunspell-en-us package (but that it provides it anyway) so I closed the gdebi window, then uninstalled hunspell-en-us with:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove hunspell-en-us
then double clicked the ,deb to fire up the gdebi installer again.

CAVEAT .. I haven't tried this myself as I'm now on Peppermint 5 .. but this worked perfectly for firefox 29 in Peppermint 4, as can be seen here:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,345.msg2915.html#msg2915
and
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,56.msg1832.html#msg1832

If you also want the Italian localisation .. install one of these too

32bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-locale-it_30.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.3_i386.deb

64bit
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox-locale-it_30.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.3_amd64.deb

Other localisations packs can be found here:
http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/
Be sure to get the ones for the 12.04.3 build of Firefox 30.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:44:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tiltmug

• Newly Subscribed
  • Hello to everyone!
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:49:09 am »
thanks i have tryed and it's works!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
So, PCNetSpec, I now know you're using Peppermint 5 yourself!   :)

I wasn't sure.  I'm still playing follow the leaders until I really know what I'm doing here, and it looked if you were still using Peppermint 4 -- the best OS I have ever used to this date, I might add. (Peppermint 4 is still under your name, that's why I wasn't sure.)

I personally have switched from 64 bit Peppermint 5 to 32 bit Peppermint 5.  This move appears to be putting less strain on my Toshiba Satellite's resources. (I've had a devil of a time with our two Toshiba Satellites, so I'm always looking for new tricks as to how to deal with them.)

I'm wondering if making Firefox our default browsers might even lighten the burden on our computers system resources even more  Anyway, we using Firefox, and sometimes even IceWeasel, now.  Firefox really is an excellent browser.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:34:12 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:35 am »
Hi, perknh:

Even lighter would probably be Qupzilla. There are even lighter browsers, of course, but Qupzilla is pretty good (even though it might not be the lightest) and worth testing. If you don't like it, then remove it!  8)

Regards,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
I knew next to nothing about Qupzilla before, so thank you,  Slim.Fatz.

Thank you,
perknh

;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:26:24 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:53 pm »

I'm wondering if making Firefox our default browsers might even lighten the burden on our computers system resources even more.

The problem with that is,  Mozilla deprecated their Prism SSB code, so you cannot integrate web apps, e.g. like you can with Chrome/Chromium/Ice SSB.

I don't see Fx returning as the default browser, until that hurdle is cleared...   ;)

Link: https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/prism/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:45:02 pm by VinDSL »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:25 pm »
Thank you, VinDSL,

But do you think that making Firefox a default browser on an individual computer within Peppermint would decrease memory usage.?  I'm assuming our default browser has to be Chromium  within Peppermint OS no matter what it says within Settings.  Under Default Browser within Chromium's Settings it says, Chromium cannot determine or set the default browser.  While my Firefox browser says I can set Firefox as my default browser.  I've read that Firefox/IceWeasel uses less memory than Chrome. Obviously I'm making the assumption that this would apply to Chromium browser also.

I often wondered why Peppermint did not give its users the option to choose between either Firefox or Chromium as a default browser -- since Firefox was part of Peppermint at one time.  Thank you for clearing up that mystery for me.  What you're saying makes a lot of sense.  We're talking about a hybrid OS here.  So of course it needs app integration.

Good point!   ;)

perknh

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:23:49 am »
I knew next to nothing about Qupzilla before, so thank you,  Slim.Fatz.

Thank you,
perknh

;)

You are very welcome, perknh.

If you are just looking for a browser that is fast and light on resources then it is definitely worth trying the latest stable release of QupZilla (version 1.6.6).

To get it just open a terminal and enter the following 3 lines:
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nowrep/qupzilla
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qupzilla
Regards,
-- Slim

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:04 am »
I knew nothing about the Qupzilla browser until you mentioned it.  Curiosity did the rest.  Wow, it is really nice.  Very clean and very quick.  I've just imported all my bookmarks from Chrome into it.  They all open up at snappy pace.  Qupzilla looks like a really interesting project.  It is definitely well worth having a look at.  Thanks for the info  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:34:31 am »
I knew nothing about the Qupzilla browser until you mentioned it.  Curiosity did the rest.  Wow, it is really nice.  Very clean and very quick.  I've just imported all my bookmarks from Chrome into it.  They all open up at snappy pace.  Qupzilla looks like a really interesting project.  It is definitely well worth having a look at.  Thanks for the info  ;) !

Glad you are enjoying it! 8)

Regards,
-- Slim

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:54 am »
Well Slim.Fatz, you came up with quite a browser idea when you mentioned QupZilla, and QupZilla can now be found within Peppermint's Synaptic Package Manager.

Here's an eleven minute review from YouTube, by Run Level Zer0, about QupZilla.  This a review where Run Level Zer0 summarizes browsers in general -- ending with the QupZilla -- which is pronounced cup-zil-la.

Firefox is mentioned in this review, as is Chromium and Chrome.  QupZilla browser is best explained as an open source browser that combines the best functions and features found within either Firefox or Chrome -- with a couple nice privacy and security features of its own thrown in.

Thank you, Slim.Fatz. 

Now here's the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GfHDfWwlAE

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:46 am »
Well Slim.Fatz, you came up with quite a browser idea when you mentioned QupZilla, and QupZilla can now be found within Peppermint's Synaptic Package Manager.

Thank you, Slim.Fatz. 
Hey! You're welcome, perknh. Very glad that you also find QupZilla to be so nice, light and fast. ;)

The version in the Peppermint Synaptic standard repository is not the latest stable version. You can get it by adding the ppa given in my earlier posting. That will enable you to get the newer version 1.6.6 via Synaptic (as well as future newer versions that will take longer to reach the standard repos that come already installed in Peppermint 5).

So after completing the terminal commands I gave, QupZilla version 1.6.6 will be installed and it will also appear in Synaptic too. 8)

Regards,
- -Slim

P.S.
One thing that QupZilla does not (yet) do is permit creation of nested (= multilevel) bookmark folders. The programmer intends to implement this feature in, I believe, version 1.8.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:33:42 am by Slim.Fatz »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 11:43:54 am »
Thank you, Slim.Fatz,

I suspect we're going to hear more about QupZilla in the world of Linux very soon.

Bookmark folders could end up being a game changer which will help launch QupZilla to a larger audience.

Watch out, Chromium and Firefox, here comes QupZilla!

:o

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:48 pm »
Even though I am days from installing Peppermint 5, I wanted to give a try at installing Firefox 31 on my Peppermint 4 system. I figured it would be good practice, and my flickr editing tools stopped working with Firefox 26, forcing me to use Chromium when I prefer Firefox.

I followed these instructions and did most of it  graphically--i.e. found the 32-bit .deb build for Firefox 31, loaded it into GDebi package installer, manually removed the unneeded spell check duplication at the command line, and then let gdebi install. It worked like a charm, I can use flickr, and my 4 set-up will use a few days of 31`until peppermint 5 is installed.  Thanks for the advice in this thread.